• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My experiences with the RO2 beta.

Fauxzor

Sep 2, 2011
Introduction:

I'll begin by congratulating TI on the great job they've done with their game- It's enjoyable, engaging, and has significant replay value (always a hallmark of a good product). The weapons have weight, the bullets have stopping power, and there's rarely ever a moment when I feel like I'm disconnected from what's going on in the game. I've been playing the beta for two days, and I've been enjoying every second of it. But, as with any beta, there are problems (some real, some subjective) that have to be addressed- For the sake of brevity, and because there's a hundred other threads clamoring for TI to "nerf this" or "fix that" (as well as an entire board for bug reports, which I'm not going to get into [although depending on your definition of bug, one of my complaints might fall into that category]). I'll try to narrow down my top complaints with the game, in order of seriousness, and how they could be solved.

1) Optimization.

Optimization is, hands-down, the number one problem with the game as it is. From my understand, UE3 isn't exactly a dream to work with, and you guys have done a great job with it- But when the vast majority of players that I've encountered in the game can barely scrounge 45 to 60 FPS with a top-of-the-line gaming rig, there's something amiss. In the near future, this sort of FPS drain may be chalked down to faulty coding or a memory leak- But, in my opinion, the symptoms I've experienced while playing the game best fit optimization issues. Outdoors, I get 30 to 40 FPS, with mild to severe stuttering during heavy firefights- Indoors, I get upwards of 60 constantly, and it hardly ever drains, regardless of what's going on. The biggest indicator to me that it has something to do with how the maps are optimized, however, is the fact that staring at the corners of the map gives you almost double or triple the FPS you get from staring into the center of the map, regardless of where you are. It's clear that you guys are pulling out some stops to try to get rid of this sort of thing, but if you want to attract and keep people with low to mid-range computers (and people with gaming computers that just can't seem to run the game), some heavy optimization should probably be going on, especially since you're a little over a week away from releasing the final product.

While this may be an ATI issue (I do have an ATI card, and a significant portion of people with ATI cards seem to be having problems with framerate stuttering), I doubt it, considering the numbers of Nvidia users that experience problems and ATI users that don't (and considering the fact that, almost universally, graphics options seem to have little to no effect on the framerate). The easiest way to solve all of these issues, however, is to optimize the game further. It's a surefire way to increase FPS, and it'll work for everyone. This will be the hardest thing to do, certainly, but it'll pay off in the end with increased player counts, more fluid firefights, and a "butter-smooth" first day.

2) Information overload/bloated UI.

Looking at the server browser, I can see that it's hardly changed from the original Red Orchestra, which is bad. The filtering system is archaic and the overall scheme and layout is downright clunky. But once you get past the small text and repeated mashings of the "refresh list" button (when it chooses to work, that is, because a lot of people I've seen can't even get servers to appear on the browser), you're suddenly bombarded with a steady stream of numbers, figures, and names. The font varies from Russian-style new (in the case of the flashes of information such as "Allies have taken the park!" and such on your screen) to Windows 98 DOS font (in the case of players joining, leaving, and the majority of the writing on the sides of the screen). The majority of this information is, by and large, completely useless. I don't need to know who else is in the spawn queue with me. I just need to see where they're spawning and how many are spawning there. I don't need twelve different fonts and colors to designate who's my superior officer and who isn't- I just need one, and the only squad leader that matters at all is my own. It's hard enough trying to find out where that squad leader is, who he is, or what he's supposed to be doing while you're in game: Once you're dead, you've got a massive wall of sensory overload staring you in the face, and it's nigh impossible to figure out what it is that you're supposed to do with all this information.

That would be bad enough, but the majority of the garbage clogging up the screen makes it difficult for you to get into the game as well- You have to press no less than three buttons to spawn (one to choose your class, another to choose your spawnpoint, and a third to hit "ready"), and sometimes the game decides that it didn't register your click, or that you're just out of the game for however long, leaving you floating in limbo for three rounds of reinforcements until you finally decide to swap classes to something less appealing in a desperate attempt to try to actually play what you paid for. While drastic at this late stage, the UI needs to be drastically changed, cut down to its bare essentials. I don't need to navigate two menus to spawn and choose a class- Just put them on the same screen. Put the number of people spawning next to an area in parentheses next to the area's name. You guys have some talented UI designers, so put them to use- Don't rely on holdovers from the days of the original Red Orchestra to try to get by.

3) Gameplay gimmicks/floaty tank combat.

My third and final complaint has to do with the penultimate gameplay gimmick- Bandaging. Bandaging is a wonderful idea in theory: You're shot by a player, you begin to bleed, and you have to spend valuable time using your limited supply of bandages to patch yourself up, often in the middle of a firefight. The problem is that bandaging takes far less time than it should, and that it poses no problems whatsoever after you've bandaged yourself. Shot in the leg? No problem- Slap a bandage on it in two seconds and you're good to go. No limping, no nothing. Just a quick, easy Band-Aid to apply to your femoral artery. If you really want to make bandaging a part of the game that people actually care or notice other than an inconvenience (most people literally just reflexively smack control to heal themselves once their screen starts flashing, and the other half find themselves killed by their attacker because the game decided to prioritize cover over bandaging), then you need to make it an actual tactical decision. Make it take longer for you to bleed to death, but make the effect more pronounced, and certainly make it so there's more permanent consequences to being shot. Taking seven seconds to bandage yourself up and still having to limp around is a lot more engaging and realistic then this arcade-style "health kit" that you carry around at all times.

By contrast, however, fatal injuries (the ones that result in you blacking out swiftly and dying soon after) are praise-worthy and an excellent addition to the game. There's absolutely nothing wrong with those, and I applaud you for putting them in. They really add a sense of tension and reward for getting payback on someone who just turned you into a "dead man walking."

Tank combat, my final gripe, is the most easily fixable of the trio. As it is now, a series of bugs and the playerbase's general inexperience with armored warfare makes tank combat a nightmare for everyone involved- Tank combat, at least on Fallen Heroes, usually involves the Panzer IV and the T-34 staring at each other from across the map and blasting AP shells at each other. Nine times out of ten, they bounce. By the end of the engagement, so many shells have been fired that it's a miracle the tanks are even holding together. "Fixing" armor penetration (or at least making it more likely, so engagement don't last forever [I'm no expert on WW2-era tank warfare, but I'm pretty sure the tanks didn't just shoot at each other for ten minutes at a time and watch their shells fly off in opposite directions]) and solving bugs like players teleporting from seat to seat without playing an animation would go a long way towards making tank combat a fun, rewarding part of an already stellar game.

Conclusion:

Tripwire, you've come a long way, and your game reflects that. I'm really glad that you decided to make a sequel to one of my favorite WW2 games of all time. If there's one thing I could say to you to sum up my little rant, it'd be this: Optimize your game. I can deal with being bogged down in menus; I can deal with having to shoot my opposing tank twelve times to score a kill; I can deal with having bandages as a vestigial reminder of what once was (and what could've been). But if the game's sluggish, I can't enjoy any of these games properly- And given your engine, and your technical prowess (you guys have done amazing things with Unreal), I'm sure it's well within the realm of possibility.

Other than these couple of things, good job, Tripwire. I'm looking forward to RO2's release date, and I hope to see you on the battlefield.

My specs:
- Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz processor
- Gigabyte H55M-S2V motherboard
- CORSAIR XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
- ATI Radeon 5870 HD GPU

I know a lot of people are doing this, and it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges, but I can max BFBC2 with little to no slowdowns, except in heavy combat- And even then it only dips down to 50 from a constant 60. Your game is the one thing that, despite the engine and apparent lack of stellar graphics (don't get me wrong, the game looks great, but if you pair it against other games of 2011 that run on other engines, it pales in comparison), I can't manage a constant 60 FPS on (or close to a constant 60, anyway).

And, before the comments flow in (if they flow in), I am well aware that this is a beta- But considering its proximity to the final release date, we probably should be treating it more and more as a final product with some bugs to get rid of rather than a beta that still needs some work to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumo and the_Monk
yeah it needs to be optimized, but I'm sure they are doing that. Of course they know it, and it will get done.

I ran my FPS counter in-game for almost two hours tonight and stayed pegged in the 60-66 range indoors and out, on Apartments in TE and FF games, and on Fallen Fighters in TE and CD modes.

I'm running custom/medium settings with low shadows, normal AA, bloom off.

My rig:
AMD PhII X3 720
HD6870 1gb
4 gb ddr3 1333
Asus 785 mobo

The game still looks pretty awesome at those settings, and I'm having a blast. Consider what RO was like in 2006. It was not the smoothest running game at that point, nor were many of our rigs able to handle it maxed out. Now think about where we'll be with Tripwire's support and new rigs (maybe for some of us) in months and years to come.

I think we're in pretty good shape here, and it's only going to get better.

Upvote 0
Of course it isn't all TI's fault- I'm definitely not trying to shift the blame for people's bad FPS completely onto them. Tripwire can't make ATI or Nvidia put out new drivers that are more compatible with RO2; Tripwire can't account for every hardware conflict on a person's computer (though they did isolate one extremely odd bug that had to do with a USB headset, to their credit); and Tripwire certainly can't account for every software conflict (though, again, they are trying to do so). I'm simply stating that, while Tripwire can't be held accountable for everyone's low FPS, they can certainly try to improve it by optimizing their game. If they want people to still be playing RO2 a couple of years down the line, just like people are still playing RO, then optimization is the way to go. It's an investment in the future of their game, and the sooner they optimize it, the better it will run for everyone, regardless of their hardware. Optimization is a difficult but surefire way to increase the FPS of the playerbase, and I really hope they realize this soon.

As you've said, though, seldom do modern games come out without their share of bugs or low FPS problems- Perhaps I just have unrealistic expectations for RO2. TI is trying their best, I'm sure, to iron out all the kinks in their game, and once that's done, we can probably see some effort going to alleviating concerns players have over their FPS. My framerate is at the cusp- It's not bad, certainly, but it could use some work, and if TI puts that little extra effort in, then their game can surely shine, and I'll probably still be playing it for years to come.

Edit: I would've responded sooner, but I didn't get how this forum works- Apparently, hitting the actual reply button forces a moderator to have to review your post, while hitting the quick reply button allows you to post instantly. Huh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure they are working with Nvidia and AMD. BC2 didn't run great right out of the box. Tweaked drivers are out of the devs control.

BC2 never got properly fixed/coded for gamers with dual cards no matter AMD or Nvidia,last time I played it it was still glitching dark screen or going totally dark just with HUD elements to be seen,landscape was glitching all the time/glowing.....

BC2 was never fixed,RO2 has issues with dual cards performance wise,but nothing like BC2.....

Upvote 0