• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anti cheat. What servers will you play on.

Anti cheat. What servers will you play on.

• Vac enabled only

Votes: 60 23.0%
  • VAC and Punkbuster only

Votes: 64 24.5%
  • Either(Whatever has people playing)

Votes: 137 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
banner3.gif

good non-intrusive admins are the best anti-cheat
agreed but they get sick of specing and watching videos
that where streaming PB with PBbans comes in

when i was a server admin. i loved streaming .. it did the work for you

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only exception was BFBC2.

Absolutely agree. Only problem with this was that PB didn't work against a very large proportion of the cheaters in BFBC2.

90% of the time its the end-users fault and not pb.

90% of the time it's certainly something about the end-user's configuration.

That's not the same thing as it being the end-user's fault.

Upvote 0
Never had problems with punkbuster but I did get banned on a game for no reason once with VAC but that was because my friend thought it would be fun to install an aimbot on my PC while I was getting drinks -.-

So I do not really care as long as I can kill people that play fair and are there to have fun instead of whine about every damn tiny "problem" in a game or server (for example some of the forum posts on here)

Upvote 0
VAC doesn't work against cheaters...go play CS and find out. PB catches more cheating than VAC but PB doesn't always work. I would rather have both.

I have never had an issue with PB over the past 10 years of gaming...granted not every game has had it.

Manual updates are easy if you are computer literate at all.

I like server admins that keep a close eye on the server. The problem is that most server admins have no way of knowing the difference between an exceptional player and a bad player with cheats.

Upvote 0
In the end, neither PB nor VAC will catch all the cheaters, neither of them are your wonder Anti-cheat that everybody wants.

Whether you prefer PB over VAC, or VAC over PB, The thing is, they're there. Having PB is better than having no protection at all!

Also, Thanks to TWI, you have both to choose from, so if you don't like PB you don't have to play on PB enabled servers (and vise-versa I would guess)

In the end, the only good anti-cheat is a server admin with a good eye, and even then, it's not perfect.

@knigtstemplar

After a while you can begin to tell between good players, and cheating. Although some cheaters do a lot to try hide it, but a service like PB's Screenshots, which take raw shots from the players screens, can help check as well. Usually when an admin thinks someone is using a cheat they'll watch and monitor before taking action to check, they don't usually blindly ban or kick unless it's plainly obvious they're using a cheat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0