• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The ArmA 2 thread (hurr hurr, no Armed Assault 2)

well if you using the illegal version then you for sure find quite often AI facing walls and doing illogical stuff

same goes for the terrible recoil, uber precise AI and such :)

it's called FADE ...

now for the legal version ...

the AI has dozen of parameters which mission maker can set to adjust it's skills
and then many various other modes of behaviour
which can be controlled by powerful scripting or FSM (Finite State Machine)

so quality of missions often rely how much from the 'basic' behaviour and rules mission maker want to go ...

if You think You found or encouter bugs and are certain You can replicate them or write usable repro

then feel free and post ticket with report to Community Issue Tracker
[url]http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/issues/new[/URL]

You can track-watch the development progress (btw. it's only partial because it covers only public known issues

[url]http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/roadmap?tracker_ids%5B%5D=1&tracker_ids%5B%5D=2&tracker_ids%5B%5D=4&completed=1[/URL]

anyway this applies only if You interested in constructive feedback and help us improve our game ...

Upvote 0
Missions I encountered the enemy AI facing the wall where all in the Arrowhead campaign.

Must I register my game or something to get all the features working? All the game asked during installation was for my CD key if I recall correctly, but I instinctively always ignore registering/downloading extra software such as Gamespy. So maybe I missed something.

Maybe it is possible that Amazon sells illegal copies? Perhaps the $12.50 price tag was too good to be true. :eek:

Also, I have another annoying issue. I tried to play the ArmA2 campaign (I always use the Arrowhead shortcut) and now I have these annoying red/white/green/whatever spots on all units. They appear in stand alone missions as well as my custom missions.

I've tried everything and the only way to remove it is to set the game difficulty to expert. But I don't want to play on expert as I need the extended armor and 3rd person view.

I recently used custom settings without the annoying dots until recently. Very frustrating to say the least.

Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
these icon stuff is difficulty settings (friendly/foe is not there is you use e.g. veteran)

A2 and OA don't use same profile file

so if you want e.g. move keyboard settings from A2 to OA You need copy the part of profile config file ...

anyway there are known issues in A2 campaign when you use OA engine in A2: Combined Operations mode

we are working on fixing them and also on tweaking how the campaign plays due to our improvements in AI behaviour

as You can see in public betas ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OPORD for our upcoming exercise, the last one before we go on active deployment in Podagorsk for 5 weeks.

Operation Orders : Exercise Eyedoonoo

TASK ORGANIZATION

I. SITUATION
Terrain: Low hills surrounding a flat airfield.
Weather: - Overcast skies, early morning/dawn
A. Enemy Forces: Estimated platoon strength mechanised infantry garrisoned at the airfield in the barracks on the westerly edge. The platoon patrols the AO on a regular basis. There are 2x fast air stationed in the hangars and 3x enemy hind helos on the airfield. There is a further section strength infantry prescence in the town of Krasnostav. There are anti air assets on the surrounding elevated terrain.
B. Friendly Forces:
2UP Intent: Move into and Secure the North-Eastern Airfield.
1UP Intent: Secure the airfield and eliminate any enemy positions in the area.
Units: A Coy. 1 PLT. - 1SEC and 2SEC
C. Attachments: 1FLT (Helo Insertion, CASEVAC, CAS and resupply)

II. MISSION
Who: ACoy
What: To secure the airfield and resist any counter-attacks.
When: 16JAN11:0600 (in game time).
Where: The airfield to the northeast of Chenogorsk region (GR121973), designated Objective ALBATROSS.
Why: To prepare for the upcoming deployment and attacking an enemy held airfield.

III. EXECUTION
A Company will be prepared to move on time (2000Z) to attack and secure the airfield, OBJ ALBATROSS (GR121973).​
A. Concept of the Operation:
Manoeuvre: This operation will be conducted in 9 phases.​
Phase I: Form up at our barracks (at 1945Z) - NOTE : PLEASE DO NOT GO THROUGH THE CRATES, WE'RE TESTING THE NEW LOADOUTS, IF YOU FIND THINGS ARE MISSING REPORT IT TO YOUR NCOIC!.​
Phase II: Move into waiting choppers (choice is up to 1Flight Command) at Hangar near barracks (at 2000Z).​
Phase III: Fast Air to destroy AA site at OBJ EAGLE (GR129973).

Phase IV: 1 Flight to deploy 1PLT to the NE of the area at LZ WOLF (GR134978).

Phase V: 1 Section to secure town of Olsha and move on to FRV point at edge of PHASE LINE DUBLIN and hold.​
Phase VI: 2 Section to move onto Olsha Hill and secure OBJ EAGLE (GR129973). Once secured 2 Section is to move to an OP overlooking airfield and OBJ FALCON (GR126971).​
Completion of Phase VI opens LZ FOX and PHASE LINE DUBLIN to all assets.
Phase VII: 1 Section to destroy enemy positions at OBJ FALCON (GR126971).​
Phase VIII: 1 Section to secure LZ BULLDOG (GR125972).​
Completion of Phase VIII opens LZ BULLDOG and PHASE LINE KERRY to all assets.
Phase IX: 1 Section to cover 2 Section's move down to the Airfield. Both Sections then to advance East to West along the runway. 1 Section responsible for the South portion, 2 Section responsible for the North portion.​
Phase X: 1 Section to secure Garrison compound at GR118912 with 2 Section supporting.​
Phase XI: Reorg will be at GR120973 to prepare defences.​

Phase VI: Extraction from LZ BULLDOG (GR125972) at ~2145Z.​
B. Task to Manoeuvre Units:

• 1PLT will move on to the choppers at the main airfield, 1FLT will provide CAS on request - use of Apache Attack helicopters has been authorised for this operation by LT Col Chipperfield.
  • Phase Lines are not to be crossed until declared open.
  • PHASE LINE CORK is not to be passed by Air Assets until/unless Anti Air Defenses at GR114960 and GR106973.
C. Reinforcements

• Reinforcements (or casualties coming back..) will be brought back in from the main airbase. Reinforcements should be inserted every ten minutes or so, depending on other taskings. 1 Flight members will return there to pick up people - SGT Harlow will call in CASEVACs and reinsertions as needed.
D. Sit Reps and Contact Reports

• Sit Reps should be communicated every 15 minutes. Contact Reports should be reported as and when they happen - ASAP.
E. CASEVACs

• CASEVACs can be requested through Papa or Papa-Minor, all CASEVACs will be prioritised (T1 - immediate chance of death, T2 - stable but needs medical help, T3 - it is but a flesh wound and T4 - dead (yes, we want to extract our own dead if possible)) - T1/2 need to be extracted ASAP.

IV. SERVICE SUPPORT
A. General: No changes to SOP​
B. Materials and Services:
1. Supply:
Subsistence​

Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
Will your wives also be there to say goodbye before you go? :troll:
Nah, that's simply something that has arisen due to overworked mission-makers.

We currently are on a 3-week off, 5-week on rotation. That gives our mission-makers enough time to have 5 large operations ready for that time and gives a lot of people time they need for RL stuff (as we've had a lot of angry wives there :D).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well, if Lemon posts his OPORDER, I will post ours too. :troll:

http://www.tangodown.nl/data/tactiek/oporders/OPORDER_Beta4_TDNL.pdf[url]http://www.tangodown.nl/data/tactiek/oporders/OPORDER_Beta4_TDNL.pdf[/URL]

It's in Dutch of course. :troll:

FYI for the Dutchies: not just anyone can play, you do need a basic knowledge of our tactics & rules etc. But if you like what you see, feel free to join us.
This OPORD isn't realistic. :troll:

Also, the OPORD posted by me is just the Company OPORD, not the platoon or Section OPORD.

Upvote 0
Anyone have a good tutorial for making AI load/unload from a transport vehicle that is not .PDF? In my latest attempt I am using a UH-1Y.

Here is what I do:

1) Place a parked transport, set it to "none" rather than flying, in formation ect.

2) Place friendly soldier. Set him to "in cargo". Make a waypoint over the UH-1Y set to "get in".

3) Set a waypoint for the UH-1Y to load right over where it spawns.

4) Make a move waypoint, so the UH-1 will fly somewhere.

5) Make an unload waypoint for the UH-1 somewhere.

6) Click on the soldiers. Make a new "move" waypoint after their "get in" waypoint.

Doing all of the above, I get the following:

1) Soldiers get in UH-1.

2) UH-1 takes off.

3) UH-1 comes to a hover, soldiers get out. So far so good.

4) Soldiers run back to where they spawn... even though their next way point is in the opposite direction.

When doing the same steps with an APC in an earlier mission, I successfully got the soldiers to move to a new location after they dismounted. I had them run into a mosque with a move waypoint rather than having them run back to their spawn area.

So do loading/unloading with helicopters work differently from APCs?

Edit: Just retried everything I listed above. This time the AI can't not even get into the UH-1 at all. :troll:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And that's exactly the reason I don't join those clans.

be realistic now, some units you find have a flat hierarchy so you wont have some twit 14 year old :troll: trying to give you orders.

The group I play with does 4ish hour missions on Sundays and training on Wednesdays, It's a blast...

here is the opord for op foothold phase 1 on utes island

OPORD 2011-001 SUNDAY JANUARY 2, 2011

OPERATION FOOTHOLD PHASE 1

TIMEZONE USED THROUGHOUT MISSION:pacific Standard Time (GMT -
icon_cool.gif

MISSION START TIME: 11:30 PST

MODS REQUIRED: Operation Arrowhead, Combined Operations, ACE, ACEX, ACEX_RU, ACEX_USNavy, CBA

Upvote 0
I'll have to try this to.

I replicated everything again in my first post, and I got it to work. :confused:

Sometimes the AI gets stuck on the rear of the UH-1, and the last man can't board. :eek:

Be careful with crossroad and rooftop loading/unloading and of coarse heavily wooded area's.
Give the Helli a transport unload rather than a simple unload command.
You might be able to do away with the infantry get out way-point.

As a rule I would create the Helli outside of the airfield area and then with one or two way-points already set, move into the airfield.
Do the same for your military units.
Also I tend to create my groups with individual units, rather than use a preset group, this is for SP, they seem to obey my orders to a better degree...
Do not forget to check Units/empty/objects/helipad invisible, or whatever is your requirement, although this becomes problematic when there are several air units involved.
I made a little test mission, it works!

The guys over at the BIS editing forums are pretty decent chaps, join them...

Might help, might not

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to play around more in the editor. So far, I've made the AI board/get unloaded a few more times. So I think I have this part down.

My next issue is making them load into a vehicle, then unload, and then pilot another vehicle.

To better explain, here is my mission idea:

I will have a non-playable AI squad spawn at a base. I will then make them board a transport heli, and make this heli drop them off at an enemy base. I will then get them to steal and fly enemy Su-25s away :)troll:) as I protect them.

I can easily get the AI to get in the Su-25s and take off and fly to a new location, but I can't get them to get in a vehicle to get transported to the location first.

I'll resister at the ArmA2 forums later and see what they have to say.

Upvote 0