• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Creative Labs Alchemy in RO2?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just hope that there won't be any issues with Creative X-FI on windows 7, similar to those with KF or RO or any other ut2004 game (bluescreen every time you play the game with "system driver" unchecked).

Agreed, we all know how many players had problems (me included) moving up to windows 7.

I'm still looking for a suitable sound card for my next computer build that preferably has nothing at all to do with Creative.

Upvote 0
Asus cards are great quality wise, for positional sound you cant beat a Creative x-fi soundblaster 64mb

The positional sound in Quake and up to cod4 is awesome.
Asus cards and the HT/Omega have the same onboard audio chip
C-Media CMI8788,I have the HT/Omega Claro +,if the PCI-e was available then I would of probably got that one.Thing is with ASUS SC now that iven though they use the same audio chip as HT/Omega,they seem to have driver problems,if you wonder around the ASUS forums or new egg ratings you will see a lot of people saying to stay away from them cause drivers are unstable,but cant say anything about the SC components quality,all top notch like the Omega,but the lack of good drivers its what made me purchase the PCI Omega then the more logic choice PCIe ASUS,same audio chip but drivers can ruin one person experience and will not know what is going wrong with his PC....

Upvote 0
I've not had any issues with my Creative Titanium card with W7 66 Pro or any games. Be sure to install them correctly, use a driver cleaner, cc-cleaner, remove creative files, remove creative reg entries, and install them one at a time, restarting after each driver. I stall them in a certain way with no issues for me, so I can't complain yet.

SolitarioSoldat introduced the Omega to me, so I'll be trying it when I need another sound card someday. Too bad the Omega is not PCIE.

Upvote 0
HoS won't support Alchemy. In fact, technically nothing does. From memory Windows Vista and 7 no longer allow hardware sound processing, it's all handled via the CPU through OpenAL. Back in the day Creative used to have EAX for environmental sound and it was miles ahead of anything else, but with OpenAL there's environmental audio available for all without the need for special hardware and you in fact can't enable EAX at all. "Alchemy" is a hack to intercept sound calls and insert EAX emulation so that you can still get EAX effects in older games running on new versions of Windows. EAX itself is dead though, it is no longer worked on and will never be added to new games, OpenAL does it all now, EAX is redundant.

That's why these days Creative no longer market their cards as doing better sound, they instead play the "performance" card, saying that their onboard XRAM (or whatever they're calling it these days) takes load off the CPU and boosts performance. To be honest, I just removed my old X-Fi and noticed no major difference other than the loss of some of the software sound processing that it used to do and the most moderate of sound quality losses at high volume.

As a side note, the sound engine for Unreal 3 is pretty darn good. I have an inkling of some of the things TW are trying to do with it and I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've not had any issues with my Creative Titanium card with W7 66 Pro or any games. Be sure to install them correctly, use a driver cleaner, cc-cleaner, remove creative files, remove creative reg entries, and install them one at a time, restarting after each driver. I stall them in a certain way with no issues for me, so I can't complain yet.

SolitarioSoldat introduced the Omega to me, so I'll be trying it when I need another sound card someday. Too bad the Omega is not PCIE.

Ummmm yes it is,the link from new egg you posted above is PCI-e SC,dont get confused LOL,the name brand is HT|OMEGA for all of their cards....

Mein is PCI and is branded HT|OMEGA Claro+,the one you posted the link from newegg is PCI-e same company branded as HT|OMEGA e-Claro,the e-Claro is about $10 more than mein due to the fact is newer version and has the PCI-e base,now most likely down the road there will be e-Claro+ and will be more $...

Upvote 0
The bluescreens with x-fi + RO/KF and maybe ut2004 are related to x64 windows. Doesn't matter if windows 7, Vista or XP.
The guys who say everything is fine for them in RO with an x-fi card should uncheck "use system driver" under the sound options. I would wonder if you get pass the class selection on a 50 slot server, without getting the bsod.

What was cool about properly hardware accelerated sound in RO is that there is almost no delay when playing a sound. You could instantly notice it while shooting a weapon: While beeing used to a very small delay without x-fi accelerated sound when shooting a rifle for example, it feels like the weapon sound is even coming some milliseconds before you clicked left mouse.
Enhances the overall smooth feeling of the game a lot.

Another pro is much better 3D sound especially the volume of footsteps and the ability to perfectly locate it's direction from further away than with checked "use system driver".

Upvote 0
I have to agree with W4hoo regarding the directions of the sounds in ROOST,I'm not joking but many,many times someone shoots at me from left side and I'm hearing the shot coming from the right side,same thing happened a lot when tank is shooting,it always turns out to be that the weapons sounds dont come from the direction I think they are comming.

Anyone playing long time ROOST,noticed this?

Upvote 0