• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medic Shotgun?

I like it :) Medics seriously need a new gun of their own.
Also, I have an idea that I didn't see suggested for it yet. Instead of having the alt-fire shoot healing darts, how about beanbags? Would do 0 or very little damage and stun them for a short time. Shouldn't work against FP's and the Patriarch ofc, maybe Scrakes too (but considering how many there are in H.o.E, I wouldn't oppose it :rolleyes:), but it would give it a unique utility ability to save someone while keeping the MP7's ranged healing ability unique as well. Or, similar to several other suggestions, the alt-fire could be a taser instead of firing beanbags, with the same effect. Could even have a recharge on it similar to the syringe & MP7 dart.

Upvote 0
Play Borderlands as Soldier, and you can see how little sense it makes. Not only can you light people on fire with any type of weapon in the game, you can also heal them to full health while doing so!

I'm ambiguous about having the shotgun heal friendlies but damage enemies with the same shot. As a plus, if it had a wide spread you could shoot Crawlers off a teammate and heal them at the same time. As a minus there would have to be some sort of complicated chemical-bullet-dart thing involved, and it would take quite a bit of the thinking out of Medic playing.

Though needing ammo to heal with it is actually a great downside to make it a sidegrade to the MP7 rather than an upgrade. Of course if you can carry both it won't matter that much.

Upvote 0
Play Borderlands as Soldier, and you can see how little sense it makes. Not only can you light people on fire with any type of weapon in the game, you can also heal them to full health while doing so!

^^^ YES!! Borderlands referance. But a shotty with 3 shots and low penetration would suck - and therefore fit the medic. And it doesn't deter from the support perk. the support would be doing 2X as much damage per shot, just like the commando can do 2X as much damage with a bullpup as a medic with a MP7.

The long reload is a bad idea tho - a medium reload where u slot the shells in like the Lever Rifle would be fine - the medic is gonna use the rounds chambered to blow through resistance, heal the guy then reload. If it takes forever, he won't be able to do that in a useful pace. The MP7 takes a while, but if you did a long reload sequence for each shell, it'd suck.

Also, what about a slug gun? high penetration for hallways and crap where the medic needs to get to a guy fast, but needs good aiming and reload like the M...79? nade launcher.

Upvote 0
no no no- it oughta be able to damage clots or low-dif. GFs but not have the headshot thing like the crossbow - make it a couple times the damage of the 9mm... 2.5X maybe and give it penetration- a head level shot might do excessive damage, but it'd be cool and i think it could be balanced. or maybe have a slug fire as a secondary instead of the syringe... that would make the shotgun overpowered tho... I just like the idea of a slug gun... Maybe one could go to demo as a cqc weap...

Upvote 0
A single action shotgun would be nice,do heal when hitting frendlies,and do damage when hitting enemies.
I prefer the alt-fire to heal setup.
I'm ambiguous about having the shotgun heal friendlies but damage enemies with the same shot.
I'm not, I'm totally against it; what would it shoot? Bullets made of health?!
Ridiculous.
no no no- it oughta be able to damage clots or low-dif. GFs but not have the headshot thing like the crossbow - make it a couple times the damage of the 9mm... 2.5X maybe and give it penetration- a head level shot might do excessive damage, but it'd be cool and i think it could be balanced. or maybe have a slug fire as a secondary instead of the syringe... that would make the shotgun overpowered tho... I just like the idea of a slug gun... Maybe one could go to demo as a cqc weap...
Was this idea straight out of Bioshock 2?
The Handcannon already has penetration and similar damage to this, so the weapon would be too similar to the Handcannon I think.

Reactions: Eureka
Upvote 0
It's too much like the crossbow.

The Handcannon already has penetration and similar damage to this, so the weapon would be too similar to the Handcannon I think.

The handcannon is like the 9mm, but with slight differences. The ak-47 is like the bullpup, but slightly different. The machete is kinda like the knife, but changed a little.

Whats your point here?

Everyone keeps looking for things that are drastically different, then and only then will they be viable in the game. In my opinion, thats where you get the most game breakingest imbalances. Weapons have to follow the formula thats already in place, with only slight changes to keep them from throwing the game off.

Don't get me wrong though: we obviously don't need just a bunch of the same guns with new skins. But every suggestion thread I come across is shot down because "your suggestion is too close to x, not different enough. It wont work because I say so". Obviously another assault rifle would be moot because it would be filling the same role thats already filled. But, say, a slug style shotgun thats scaled in price for a medic would be filling in for something that the medic currently does not have.

Sure you can argue its too similar. But if you really want to nitpick about things being too similar I suggest you cruise through the wiki. Make a mental note at how many of the weapons are really similar to eachother.

Upvote 0
Was this idea straight out of Bioshock 2?

BS1 didn't work on my PC (it hated my sound driver for some reason and the fixes didn't work, and no-one wants to play without sound - thats just lame) so i haven't even tried BS2. So i have no idea what ur talking about lol. I just like the idea of a slug gun. I need to play those sometime...

As for the similarity thing, i agree with the above posting. And the whole point of the medic guns is to serve another perks role without perk bonuses, so that medics can have more strategies than "hide in back and try for headshots" because a medic is useless against anything close up or strong offensively, and they should be able to do SOMETHING, even if its not very effective.

Upvote 0
BS1 didn't work on my PC (it hated my sound driver for some reason and the fixes didn't work, and no-one wants to play without sound - thats just lame) so i haven't even tried BS2. So i have no idea what ur talking about lol. I just like the idea of a slug gun. I need to play those sometime...

As for the similarity thing, i agree with the above posting. And the whole point of the medic guns is to serve another perks role without perk bonuses, so that medics can have more strategies than "hide in back and try for headshots" because a medic is useless against anything close up or strong offensively, and they should be able to do SOMETHING, even if its not very effective.

well, the BS2 gun, the weld-shooting-thingy, is what they are refering to.

But may I please say one thing (actually, this is the real reason 4 my post:troll:): your sig appears to be mocking a strategy that is actually extremely useful. It's called "pulling a Candeljack" or "being a martyr", and is the tactic of charging the FP to get it to rage towards you. Why would you want that? Because medics have god-armor, and can actually take a raged FP hit with relatively little damage on HoE or Suicidal. They are actually helping the team, because they are removing any chance of the FP raging and insta-killing someone without godarmor. So yes, it's actually very helpful. In fact, I just finished a game where I was the medic, and I hold by the fact that the team would have taken far heavier damage had it not been for pulling Candlejacks. I mean, I unloaded on nearly every FP in a 6-man game, and never even lost my armor.

Okay, rant done, back on topic:p

Reactions: Eureka
Upvote 0

But may I please say one thing (actually, this is the real reason 4 my post:troll:): your sig appears to be mocking a strategy that is actually extremely useful. It's called "pulling a Candeljack" or "being a martyr", and is the tactic of charging the FP to get it to rage towards you. Why would you want that? Because medics have god-armor, and can actually take a raged FP hit with relatively little damage on HoE or Suicidal. They are actually helping the team, because they are removing any chance of the FP raging and insta-killing someone without godarmor. So yes, it's actually very helpful. In fact, I just finished a game where I was the medic, and I hold by the fact that the team would have taken far heavier damage had it not been for pulling Candlejacks. I mean, I unloaded on nearly every FP in a 6-man game, and never even lost my armor.

Okay, rant done, back on topic:p

thats a valid strat - I've done it myself lol. But i'm talking about the guy who just does it because they feel like getting closer to aim or sommat. Some guy did it 4 times the game b4 i changed my sig. he ran in with the MP7 and no-one was there to finish the FP off, so it was a wasted effort. i was playing a commando, and the FP health was prolly @ 95% still. I don't even think the guy was a lvl 6... thats what clued me into him being a newbie idiot and not a pro-lvl strategist lol.

Upvote 0
Whats your point here?
My point is that it matches the Handcannon; the MP7 does not match the Bullpup. The idea is too overpowered.

I didn't think it was that hard to spot. :rolleyes:

The what? No, I was talking about the Shotgun slugs in Bioshock 2 :p
They are pretty much exactly what were suggested.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My point is that it matches the Handcannon; the MP7 does not match the Bullpup. The idea is too overpowered.

I didn't think it was that hard to spot. :rolleyes:

The what? No, I was talking about the Shotgun slugs in Bioshock 2 :p
They are pretty much exactly what were suggested.

I'm gonna have to nitpick some more: the mp7 and bullpup don't match, but they are similar and operate just a little differently. A good bit of the weapons in this game follow this.

The slug shotgun would be a bit like the handcannon, but would operate a bit differently. Obviously it would share certain attributes of the handcannon, but would have some variables that keep it just different enough.

I'm not trying to crap on your original idea, in fact I think its better in concept than said slug gun. I just wanted to point out why its not totally absurd to have weapons that are similar to one another. People seem to hate this concept like they are hating the Nazis, but its already in the game.

I would think this is a pretty simple concept to grasp as well, no? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just wanted to point out why its not totally absurd to have weapons that are similar to one another.
I already know this, though I guess others might not have. I suggested a Medic shotgun because I like the shotguns in KF and because a closer range gun would be a lot more beneficial to Medic than a longer range one imo.

Upvote 0
I already know this, though I guess others might not have. I suggested a Medic shotgun because I like the shotguns in KF and because a closer range gun would be a lot more beneficial to Medic than a longer range one imo.

Keeping with the close range of the shotgun, why not have the MS8 (Medic Shotgun arbitrary number) use a short range concentrated spray of gas instead of a dart? That way shotgun skills can transfer to Medic skills with this weapon, like how Sharpshooter skills transferred with the MP7.

Upvote 0