• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server browser still cutting out internet.

When the game requests data from the masterserver, it will get a bunch of packets with that data you've just requested. If you router has faulty software, it will think it's getting attacked and it will shut down.

If you bought a router like this, consult your manual on how to set it to allow the proper ports through unmolested.

If your ISP gave you the router, ask for one that doesn't suck.

The temp solution is to use the steam server browser, and in some cases this can also cause your internet to die.

The point of all this is, there are some routers will faulty rules than cause them to shut down the internet connection. We can't fix that.

Give me a break. Like the other guy said before me, I've played hundreds of online games with this router and absolutely none of them have given me problems to the extent that RO2 has.

So you're telling me that my router and the router of others are broken? They're all broke right? It's just a coincidence that RO2 seems to crash all of our routers? What drugs are you on and where can I buy them?

Passing the buck with performance issues onto weak machines and passing the buck with the completely bugged server browser onto broken routers? Never TWI's fault that something isn't working and maybe they should fix it? What a joke.

It's the way the game requests server info from steam. The game says "give me the servers" and steam obliges. On crappy routers, there is a rule that will then shut down the connection when it gets a flood of packets on that specific port or ports. There's a chance no other game uses those ports. ;)

Well shouldn't the way the game requests server info be changed? TWI had the exact same problem with Killing Floor and their lackluster coding. Call up Valve and ask them for some tips.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So can someone tell us what we are suppossed to do? Can't play the gamein MP because of this issue. I would much prefer to have this fixed and keep my game instead of requesting a refund but if the answer is my router is the problem, I will go the refund route. I met and exceed the minimum requirements, my router is not the problem it's the game/code (sorry to say).

Trying to get some direction, how do we get Tripwire to respond?

Reactions: Tagemandbagem
Upvote 0
Give me a break. Like the other guy said before me, I've played hundreds of online games with this router and absolutely none of them have given me problems to the extent that RO2 has.

So you're telling me that my router and the router of others are broken? They're all broke right? It's just a coincidence that RO2 seems to crash all of our routers? What drugs are you on and where can I buy them?

Passing the buck with performance issues onto weak machines and passing the buck with the completely bugged server browser onto broken routers? Never TWI's fault that something isn't working and maybe they should fix it? What a joke.

Well shouldn't the way the game requests server info be changed? TWI had the exact same problem with Killing Floor and their lackluster coding. Call up Valve and ask them for some tips.
You are not the only one, luckily.
The serverbrowser stays an enigma for TWI *I think*

Upvote 0
Honestly I've got the same problem with all of Valve's source games (CSS, TF2 etc), not just RO2.

But honestly is this really so bad? [url]http://store.a-link.com/fi/WNAP.html[/URL]

But will look into buying a new one.

Having to buy a new modem for a single game, yeah, that's pretty bad.

Same kind of thing happened with BFBC2 release. People saying put your router in DMZ, turn off all your security, it's not the game it's your hardware etc.

It's all nonsense, BFBC2 runs fine now, so they obviously fixed the problem on their end.

Upvote 0
Having to buy a new modem for a single game, yeah, that's pretty bad.

Same kind of thing happened with BFBC2 release. People saying put your router in DMZ, turn off all your security, it's not the game it's your hardware etc.

It's all nonsense, BFBC2 runs fine now, so they obviously fixed the problem on their end.
I can confirm that.
The problem is -very probably- not the router, as reading in other users' posts that other games work well with the same routers.

I hope TWI fixes it on their end in the end. :)

Upvote 0
I get this too, on my non-crappy router. It doesn't kill the router. But it does seem to kill the net for just 15 secs or so. After searching for servers if I exit the game and load a browser.. can't connect for a bit.

Not sure if it kills the net just for this pc or if it affects all traffic over the router. Time to test I guess ;)

Upvote 0
I experienced this problem too already with a WGR614v7. I does not happen every time but once in a while.

If I wouldn't have read this thread I wouldn't have been able to connect the pieces together why I had network problems one of the last times I tried playing RO2.

Maybe crap router or not, it's the only game ever producing something like this.

Upvote 0
Probably a good idea. This is a MI424WR, one of the early rev's, and is roundly criticized. I can't plug just any router in, unfortunately, as it needs coax and ethernet (for VoD etc to work).

Indeed. I asked the technician if he could just enable the ethernet port on my ONT instead of the coax but he said you need the coax and Verizon router to use VoD and see the guide.

Upvote 0
I get this too, on my non-crappy router. It doesn't kill the router. But it does seem to kill the net for just 15 secs or so. After searching for servers if I exit the game and load a browser.. can't connect for a bit.

Not sure if it kills the net just for this pc or if it affects all traffic over the router. Time to test I guess ;)

For me it only affects my pc. I have wifi connected to router as well, and wireless internet keeps running. I.e. i can surf the interwebs even if RO closed it down on my gaming rig.

Upvote 0
I get this with my Apple Airport base station. It's really aggravating because I have to fix it by removing the power plug on base station and reinserting it each time this happens, which is pretty often, especially when I disconnect from a server for whatever reason.

It's a Tripwire issue, and I expect them to fix relatively soon.

Upvote 0
I earlier described the problem and I repeatedly get this outage.

When I initially choose MP then I get a list of servers with the current filter applied. When I switch the tabs above or change filter and go back to the Ranked-Tab, then it happens quite often that I get no servers.

When I now switch out of RO2:HOS and try to open a web page, I get a timeout.

However, it seems I'm a lucky one who doesn't need to restart his router. After waiting a few seconds (maybe even up to a minute, hard to say) suddenly the browser list gets populated and browsing the web itself works again. Hmm.

Upvote 0