• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

weapon reload animations for HoS look arcade-like

and to the riseing storm team.....some m1 garands need a op rod slap, my old worn out shot to ****, girzzled vertin of the pacific (sand in the but stock cleaning holes....lots of sand) does not need a slap.

in DH the bolt closed to fast when a fresh mag was inserted....and i think inthe training manules it told them to tap the oprod after it closed...slap or not, to maek sure the bolt grabbed it fully and it was chambered.

but, if your going ot MO CAP coem thing....make sure that the people usign hte guns are familyer with thows type of guns.....basicly give them 500 rounds and 4 days to go shoot some rounds off......he will load liek a trained soilder after that.

most of the time...if it looks ackward or wrong....it is worng becaue hes new with teh gun.

random question...do the ppsh/mp40/m1a1 tommy have rifled barrels? i thought they did, but im not sure on war produced ppsh's however.

Upvote 0
No, they were all muzzle loading smooth-bores.

I think you mean this thing
634195661489131350.jpg

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
TBH Ostfront's reloads seemed unnecessarily long to me. There is often a lot of emphasis when cocking most weapons, and the two bolt rifles take far longer to load with a stripper clip than they do in reality.

I think a lot of people here are just used to that slowness. Sure it's nice to watch but there's no reason it can't be sped up a little.

Upvote 0
TBH Ostfront's reloads seemed unnecessarily long to me. There is often a lot of emphasis when cocking most weapons, and the two bolt rifles take far longer to load with a stripper clip than they do in reality.

I think a lot of people here are just used to that slowness. Sure it's nice to watch but there's no reason it can't be sped up a little.

The point wasnt the speed but the animation.

Upvote 0
when you stick a new mag in a psitol...you RIP IT OUT fast as hell out of your belt....and FAST up to teh mouth of hte mag well.....then SLOW DOWN...and line up the mag with the hole....then slap it in there FAST and grab the slide and rip her back FAST!!

same with my m1 garand. except the "stick the mag in teh hole" is slow as well, becasue of hte fear of m1 thumb! but it still only takes 3 seconds!

loading the stripper in RO1 was mabey 1/2 to slow. the nagunt used rimmed brass....and thats a ***** to load in any type of bolt controlled fead action. rimmed is mroe for lever actions, revolvers, and mabey pump actions.....basicly anything with no mag or a tubeular mag!

the rims hang up on each other so you cant slide the round off the otehr otehr round...especally in the nagunt. and the nagunt you had to pry the top roudn up, and push it down (like ro1 shows!) witch maeks it VERY hand to laod then the kar 98. and hte kar98's bolt was MUTCH better and faster....even thwos the RoF in RO1 is the same for both rifles!

and a flamboyant cock of the charging handle is probly realistic....as you NEED to maek sure that is all the way back. if you dont pull the m1 all the way back....you get a smached up thumb. the with makign sure its closed, thats why most slap teh oprod kinda hard....and if you dotn and its open a little, it will blow up...possibly taking you out of the fight (and in ro 2 terms....DEAD).

mocap a noob, then mocap a person who ahs shot guns sence he was 8 (i have....but not SMG's and crap) and use his animation for heroes...and use a mix for normal soilders. as your not going to get it right every time....i still cant find the little "guide rails" for the enbloc sometimes!

Upvote 0
Attempting to reload a firearm fast is not easy, of course there is those people that can do it in under 2.8 seconds, but that is while they are trying to do it fast and they have everything set up perfect.

I'm trying to think about how to explain this more.. I guess there is a video of a British soldier(Marine? not sure) getting shot in the ***, but before he gets shot it does show him reloading while under combat. You guys can check out apacheclips.com and it shows multple combat situations and you can see how these men reload in the middle of combat.

Upvote 0
It's just that raising the PPSh up like that seems like an inefficient, unnatural way to reload.

Do you mean raising the gun suddenly when the drum is pulled out?

That allways happens for me, the drum is a tight fit in the magwell, so you have to pry the two apart, and when they sepperate, well, one arm is pulling down on the mag and the other is trying to hold the gun up, so you whip the muzzle into the air when they let go of eachother.

Upvote 0
Generally speaking this game seems to be one hell of alot more arcadish than Ostfront. The reload animations did seem rather disappointing and a massive step back, I remember the one thing that stood out the most for me when I first played Ost was the animations. They were (and still are) incredible. They really had weight and feel to them...it all seemed very well done.

RO2 seems much more....gamer. It all looks alot like World at War to be honest, with abit of old RO features thrown in. Not what I was hoping for in a sequel to Ostfront but there you go.

That massive zoom in during ironsights and the stupid xbox space marine style HUD also definitely doesn't make me want this. World at War has been out for ages, I had it, played it for a long time, got bored and traded it in. meh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Agreed. Storing a partially expended mag and then pulling a new one out should be longer though.

My other issue, as stated before, is that some of the animations look weird. Mainly the MP40s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with this:
- time how long soldier grabs new ammo clip/magazine should be longer, way longer. New clip doesn't popup into his hand.
- time how long soldier switch his weapon or grab it should be longer
- reload time itself is okay as you say because soldier before battle did it many times during training or previous battles
- reload animation should be better, however its hard to say because we haven't seen any HD footage yet.

Upvote 0
I agree with this:
- time how long soldier grabs new ammo clip/magazine should be longer, way longer. New clip doesn't popup into his hand.
- time how long soldier switch his weapon or grab it should be longer
- reload time itself is okay as you say because soldier before battle did it many times during training or previous battles
- reload animation should be better, however its hard to say because we haven't seen any HD footage yet.

Agreed, it should take considerably longer to put down an MG. If in RO2 we can use two primary weapons (SMG and rifle), it should take longer to switch back and fourth compared to switching from a rifle to a pistol.

Upvote 0