• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Avt40?

Show me the manual and convince me. There was no auto-carbine. Only semi-auto cut up from SVT-40 (sometimes labeled as SKT-40), and it was very rare.

Why they would have made a carbine out of AVT-40? The design was proven to be a failure already in full-length rifle configuration.
It's a carbine made out of SVT, I think.

Some photos and manual photos: http://rubej.at.ua/forum/20-221-1
Manual: http://letitbit.net/download/98460....___________________._________._1938.djvu.html
Can't find original link, where I downloaded it. But if that link won't work, I can upload it anywhere.

Upvote 0
I personally can't WAIT to use the ATV40. I really want to experience some outrageous recoil.

I don't know, I really like cool but incredibly impractical guns. Like for instance, the gun I am looking forward to using most in RO2 is the Nagant Revolver. Why? Because it's a cool, badass gun. Is it easier to use than the TT33 or the P38? No, but it's cooler.

So I'll be that guy running around the battlefield screaming HUZZAH and carrying his ATV40 with Nagant revolver. Aka the happiest man alive, even if I'm not alive very long :p.

Upvote 0
As RedGuardist has said YES the AVT40 exists and YES it it quite likely some were at Stalingrad. To answer the question why we did it:

1) It is cool as hell to have a weapon that is full auto firing a full size battle rifle round :)
2) It was easy to make. Change one flag in code to make it full auto and an SVT40 becomes an AVT40 :) Very little work required to add it to the game in other words.
3) We needed something to give the hero assault guys :)

Now the AVT was originally the "red headed step-child" in our early playtests. It is VERY hard to control (think almost worse than the PPSh in Ostfront). But several of us lately have really taken to using it in playtests. It is one of those weapons that "noobs" will shy away from. But in the hands of an experienced player it is a DEADLY weapon. Those of us that around the office that have learned to control the recoil with our mad mouse skills have gotten VERY effective at using it in close quarters. And then when you are outside if you put it on semi you can hit very distant enemies. If you are REALLY elite with it you can even hit mid range enemies on automatic. Factor in the new suppression system, and it becomes a very useful weapon for those that can tame this dragon. I have a feeling it will become the weapon of choice for a lot of the most elite players in the game.

Reactions: Frostedfire
Upvote 0
I can't see why people are apposed to it at all, I mean the way I see it is it's another weapon too add some variety to the Soviets equipment. Even if it is impractical, so what? I'll still be having fun with it if I ever get around to unlocking it. If it has an excuse for being in Stalingrad, then I'm all for it, practical or not. Then again I've never been one to complain about extra free content.

I'm probably talking out of my *** here, but I don't see why it is so dissimilar to firing a B.A.R. in fully automatic? They are both high caliber, shoulder dismantling weapons. And the B.A.R. found enough practicality in the American military during WWII.

Upvote 0
As RedGuardist has said YES the AVT40 exists and YES it it quite likely some were at Stalingrad. To answer the question why we did it:

1) It is cool as hell to have a weapon that is full auto firing a full size battle rifle round :)
2) It was easy to make. Change one flag in code to make it full auto and an SVT40 becomes an AVT40 :) Very little work required to add it to the game in other words.
3) We needed something to give the hero assault guys :)

Now the AVT was originally the "red headed step-child" in our early playtests. It is VERY hard to control (think almost worse than the PPSh in Ostfront). But several of us lately have really taken to using it in playtests. It is one of those weapons that "noobs" will shy away from. But in the hands of an experienced player it is a DEADLY weapon. Those of us that around the office that have learned to control the recoil with our mad mouse skills have gotten VERY effective at using it in close quarters. And then when you are outside if you put it on semi you can hit very distant enemies. If you are REALLY elite with it you can even hit mid range enemies on automatic. Factor in the new suppression system, and it becomes a very useful weapon for those that can tame this dragon. I have a feeling it will become the weapon of choice for a lot of the most elite players in the game.

The days of arguing about the features of this game are over, in my opinion. I am really loving the avt40 being in game. Mkb as well. I have faith in TWI.

Upvote 0
I'm probably talking out of my *** here, but I don't see why it is so dissimilar to firing a B.A.R. in fully automatic? They are both high caliber, shoulder dismantling weapons. And the B.A.R. found enough practicality in the American military during WWII.

The BAR weighed nearly 20 lbs and was a lower rate of fire (selectable 350 or 550 rpm) and had a bipod. It was basically pretty clost to being an LMG. The SVT40 only weighed a little less than 9 lbs and had a much higher rate of fire (700+). So combine light weight with high rate of fire and a powerful round and that equals a gun that has a LOT of recoil :)

Upvote 0