• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Large maps I don't think they will work with RO2

ViViD

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
I have been thinking, especially around recreating Kuzernki, and I don't think large maps will work.

The accuracy has increased a huge amounts not just with the smgs' but also the bolts.

If I was to make Kuzernki, or Narva the same way I made in RO1 then it would be a slaughter feast for the defender, the wide open spaces where it normally took 3-4 rounds to hit someone, will just be a killing field.

I am thinking some of the other maps would not work, I think in those maps recreating you are going to need a lot more foliage and cover.

I notice people are pleading for larger maps, but I would say Red October factory is one the largest RO maps currently, if you look you end up getting taken out very fast over large distances very quickly.

That why there is a lot of cover needed, else it becomes a defenders paradise.

Oh so what people are saying is storming over a large open field with a bunch of defenders armed with accurate rifles and Machine guns is a bad idea?

Gee I wonder why they never told the guys in World war 1 and 2 about that.... Oh wait.

The maps in RO1 worked because the weapons were broken, now weapons are true to life it won't play the same.

Considering rifles zoom in like sniper rifles, i personally can't picture much larger maps being playable

They don't zoom, it is just what a real human sees.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=61187&highlight=zoom

Last edited:
Reactions: Varlope
Upvote 0
When I squint my eyes I don't see further

In game zoom is not representative of squinting, it is representative of the depth of field that a real human eye can see as opposed to the boxed version that is in video games, which is not true to life/scale of what you would see in person.

Upvote 0
When I squint my eyes I don't see further

It is not about squinting and actually zooming. Assuming your eyes are 20/20 you can see details of objects far away easily 200 meters. The zoom in game replicates this.

For example I can see a deer in a small creek bed 270 meters away. I can make out the eyes, see the differences in where the toes (black) join the legs (white/tan), and see if the white of its tail is up or down (alert/calm). Can I see the color of the eye? no, but I can see where the eye is. Plus I can see the different plants surrounding it. It is not all just one pixelated blur. :D

Large maps will work, they just need to be designed differently. Trenches, dead tanks, burning wrecks making layers of smoke... etc.

Reactions: Carrick1973
Upvote 0
In game zoom is not representative of squinting, it is representative of the depth of field that a real human eye can see as opposed to the boxed version that is in video games, which is not true to life/scale of what you would see in person.

It doesn't work though from an immersion or gameplay pov. The effect is jarring and feels unrealistic. Have you tried sniping? Go out of scope mode and press magic zoom to see everything clearer, then use scope to actually take the shot with a similar magnification. Its weird, doesn't feel realistic at all

Upvote 0
They'll work out fine, you just need to balance reinforcements. As a rule of thumb, you need a 3:1 ratio for attackers to be able to take an objective, this should also apply for RO.

If possible, having different spawn times for the two teams would also work towards making it balanced (don't know if map makers can set this, or if it'd need mods to do it). That way, if the attackers manage to take out that pesky MG nest a new MG won't spawn in 10 seconds and occupy it again, they'd have a chance of moving up and holding that spot. Default respawn time of 20 seconds for attackers and 60 seconds for defenders would work wonders.

Upvote 0
I'd say the bolts and MGs were truer to real life in Ro1. The SMG's are the only real improvement on realism and they have now f'ed up the ppsh recoil too.

I would agree with that. Still not convinced on the zoom aspect even with the nice example, it just doesn't feel right. Forget the realism, it does do away with the immersion a little to me.

Also I feel the men are larger at longer ranges, in RO support bolt (no sway) a 200m shot was difficult, It was normally a pixel maybe 2 pixels, now I would say at 200m they are 4 pixels wide. (unzoomed)

Is it possible the Unreal 3 engine has changed this aspect, which make it easier to hit over 200m

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It doesn't work though from an immersion or gameplay pov. The effect is jarring and feels unrealistic. Have you tried sniping? Go out of scope mode and press magic zoom to see everything clearer, then use scope to actually take the shot with a similar magnification. Its weird, doesn't feel realistic at all

...But the current system IS realistic. The pixel hunting in RO1 wasn't.

Upvote 0
Large maps will work, they just need to be designed differently. Trenches, dead tanks, burning wrecks making layers of smoke... etc.

Such as Red October Factory, and people feel that is a small map due to what you described above. I think people are wanting long range duels (could be wrong) But to cover the ground you need lots of cover which makes the map feel smaller.

AKA Red October maps is a huge map, but people feel it is small.

Upvote 0