• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ping Compensation! Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's sad to see people commenting on something they don't understand.....reminds me of the idiots who say CS 1.6 rego/netcode is better than CSS. Omar, bullets don't go where your crosshair is aiming in source......thats 90% of the skill, knowing where to put your crosshair to compensate for recoil....

It's simple, do you want to hit what you are aiming at or do you want to lead your target based on what your ping is?

If you want to hit what you are aiming at, then ping compensation is necessary....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it's sad to see people commenting on something they don't understand.....reminds me of the idiots who say CS 1.6 rego/netcode is better than CSS. Omar, bullets don't go where your crosshair is aiming in source......thats 90% of the skill, knowing where to put your crosshair to compensate for recoil....

It's simple, do you want to hit what you are aiming at or do you want to lead your target based on what your ping is?

If you want to hit what you are aiming at, then ping compensation is necessary....

just a question... did you even play RO:Ost?

Upvote 0
omarfw, that was quite possibly the dumbest statement on this forum to date, congrats.

Reise, CS is not a realistic game, it's a fun game, I'm not sure why you think I think otherwise....

Lemon, I have played competitive FPS for almost 20 years and have played basically every good competitive FPS on the market. I have played a lot of RO and in particular DH because it is so much better. The netcode/registration in RO is average but that doesn't stop the game from being amazing fun. I also play on servers with 10 ping to 250 ping, I have a lot of experience and frankly understand how netcode works. The truth of the matter is that lag compensation removes the advantage good ping gives and makes the game a lot more accurate to play if it is done well. When you consider that the game doesn't have a lot of full servers, lag compensation would be a great feature to have considering that so many who play it are subjected to average pings.

It's sad really because people can't get their head around the fact that Lag compensation may have to correct some things on your screen resulting in it looking like you got a kill when in actual fact, the other player had the quicker reaction and the server correctly killed you. Most kids can't deal with this and blame the netcode for this but the truth is, the other person was quicker and they deserved to die.

Personally, when I play people in my country against overseas players, it's like taking candy from a baby. You can run anywhere and you essentially have a .2 of a second advantage which means you can pop up, shoot them before they even see you lol.

Upvote 0
omarfw, that was quite possibly the dumbest statement on this forum to date, congrats.

Reise, CS is not a realistic game, it's a fun game, I'm not sure why you think I think otherwise....

And that is the most opinionated thing ever said on this forum.

any game loaded with asshats flaming each other near non-stop forfeits it's fun title by default. but that's not what this thread is about anyway.

lemme get people caught up if they're confused as to whats going on in this thread.

PING COMPENSATION DOES NOT WORK

Upvote 0

Lemon, I have played competitive FPS for almost 20 years and have played basically every good competitive FPS on the market. I have played a lot of RO and in particular DH because it is so much better. The netcode/registration in RO is average but that doesn't stop the game from being amazing fun. I also play on servers with 10 ping to 250 ping, I have a lot of experience and frankly understand how netcode works. The truth of the matter is that lag compensation removes the advantage good ping gives and makes the game a lot more accurate to play if it is done well. When you consider that the game doesn't have a lot of full servers, lag compensation would be a great feature to have considering that so many who play it are subjected to average pings.

It's sad really because people can't get their head around the fact that Lag compensation may have to correct some things on your screen resulting in it looking like you got a kill when in actual fact, the other player had the quicker reaction and the server correctly killed you. Most kids can't deal with this and blame the netcode for this but the truth is, the other person was quicker and they deserved to die.

Personally, when I play people in my country against overseas players, it's like taking candy from a baby. You can run anywhere and you essentially have a .2 of a second advantage which means you can pop up, shoot them before they even see you lol.

just LOL!

ro Mr. 20 years:
go play CS if you want to get shot around the corner

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lemon and OmarFW, You do realise that the two biggest FPS games series have lag compensation? COD 2 to 5 have lag compensation along with Counter Strike Source......

Lemon, you do realise that Doom has been out for almost 20 years? I used to attend lans for it very soon after it came out, I used to find games on BBS's and dial directly to people who wanted to play Doom against me lol

Omarfw, you cannot have competitions between the east and west of the US without one side having a massive advantage. Also Europe is a big place, without Lag compensation, games will effectively be completely one sided.

As for proof, I organise competitions in my country between east and west Australia which gives about 100 ping to one team, this is a huge advantage. Lag compensation makes these games actually quite playable and fair.

Please stop talking about something you have no idea about.

I apologise if i was rude before but your statement was quite frankly retarded, please read what you wrote again in case you don't understand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

In RO you can play with overseas players; you only have to lead them a bit more. I used to frequent the [DBDUK] (Death by Default UK) server back in the mod days. Even with 200 ping I'd have an enjoyable playing experience.

If I try to play CS:S on a UK server, I spend my time warping all over the place, making the game pretty much unplayable.

If lag compensation works so well, why do source based games become unplayable at pings above 150 or so, while RO continues to play just fine?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lemon and OmarFW, You do realise that the two biggest FPS games series have lag compensation? COD 2 to 5 have lag compensation along with Counter Strike Source......

Lemon, you do realise that Doom has been out for almost 20 years? I used to attend lans for it very soon after it came out, I used to find games on BBS's and dial directly to people who wanted to play Doom against me lol

Omarfw, you cannot have competitions between the east and west of the US without one side having a massive advantage. Also Europe is a big place, without Lag compensation, games will effectively be completely one sided.

As for proof, I organise competitions in my country between east and west Australia which gives about 100 ping to one team, this is a huge advantage. Lag compensation makes these games actually quite playable and fair.

I apologise if i was rude before but your statement was quite frankly retarded, please read what you wrote again in case you don't understand.

Once again you talk about it as if it works correctly.

Upvote 0
Lemon, I have played competitive FPS for almost 20 years and have played basically every good competitive FPS on the market.

If you wouldn't mind, please enlighten me. What FPS were you playing competitvely in 1989/90?

Thx.

**edit** Didn't see you specified Doom. Picking nits, but that's closer to 15 years. I thought perhaps you were a MIDI Maze player.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Last time I played CoD it seemed to behave almost identically to UT/RO network or "ping compensation" wise.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.