• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About the MKB42

Mini-Review of the MKb42 and AVT-40, after some more playtime.

AVT-40

Is identical as far as I can tell to the SVT-40 (including the 10 round magazines, maybe 5 to 7 of them = 50-70 rounds total) except on the following points:

The sound is different. A louder hollow thump, a little bit like firing guns indoors. It is distinct, loud and easy to home in on. The SVT-40 sounds more like a more hardcore firecracker. On full-auto it is especially ear-catching. I keep confusing it with the similar sounding MKb42 however. They have a similar rate of fire as well.

The mouse sensitivity is higher. It is harder to aim at a distance but more maneuverable up close.

The recoil on full auto is massive. Three round bursts, while prone, shooting at a target maybe 25 meters away, it will kick from target's feet to above his head. Only practical for near point blank spraying (why not into a tight passage or through walls, into stairwells where people might be bunched up?).

The ammo runs out of the magazines in an instant. One is constantly running out of ammo, or if lucky, having lots of nearly unloaded magazines. Have to switch magazines & reload all the time.

As a close combat weapon it is more like a shotgun, but also has decent medium range (even long, if you can work the mouse) killing power. I'd rather have the SVT-40 or the PPSh, but there's nothing in-between really.

MKb42

There is nothing bad to say about it really. It has about the same muzzle climb recoil as the PPSh. When standing and shooting on full auto it climbs a little bit, but not hard to compensate for. The killing power of the cartridge is less than the full sized rifles (similar to how it was in RO) but much higher than the SMGs. Targets go down real fast at closer ranges. At longer, it might take an extra bullet to make it happen.

Very easy to use. Leave it on full auto setting and tap the button for single shots or short bursts, or hold for long bursts. The weapon itself is extremely narrow and gives the best situational awareness forward when using out of all weapons (others have your hands, receiver etc covering a large part of the lower half).

The most amazing thing is the killing power versus the huge magazine capacity. One gets 5 x 30 = 150 rounds. Switching between the magazines is rapid. It is the only weapon I can casually use without thinking "I should reload/top off the magazine, or I might be in trouble". The full auto bursts are looong, and can be sustained well due to the quick mag changes. On semi-auto, one can fire an outrageously long time - tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap - quick magswitch - loop. It makes a fine machinegun replacement on our small maps.

The downside is the extremely attention grabbing it is with its loud frequent noise and constant stream of loooong rapid fire.

The full sized rifles are probably preferable at distances beyond 200 meters, or if the user (any user) wants to keep a low profile. In everything else, it equals or surpasses all other weapons. I think it is far better than the PPSh (kills better, more penetration, more magazine capacity/availability) and about equal to the MP40 at close distances. Better than everything medium, and not shabby at longer. Better than the machine guns except at long range.

Quite a technological marvel. Feels just like any modern rifle.

I wish the fire selector switch had an animation and sound, and that the bolt-catch was used during animations (it does not seem to be used).

The devs did a good job on it overall. But it is too damned dangerous to be so common. AVT-40 is more fun (but also too common, I hear the firing sound all the time) because it is a gun with flaws.

An annoying thing about it is that people actually stand up and STRAFE left-right-left-right while shooting those looong bursts. And they get away with it a lot of the times. Gun down everything that appears (similar to how you would if you had an MG deployed) but hard to hit with single fire weapons. The best counter is your own MKb42 or a deployed MG. I'm not sure that walking sideways while shooting a big weapon like that full auto is possible with any accuracy what so ever (I tried airsoft guns while trying to move - doable if only walking on ground sideways in one direction slowly but forget about stopping and reversing directions). I think something should be done about accuracy while moving around & shooting full auto like that. Have a few peeks at youtube vids of the weapon or comparable and see if you think it feasable to do those feats. This goes for all weapons - just this one is particularly obnoxious due to the big ammo capacity & individual bullet killing power. When SMG's do it you're more likely to get wounded from stray shots and be able to shoot back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fail argument.
I bought DDE, and I mostly use bolts.
Because I'm not a wuss. :cool:

I play bolts as well. I usually do okay with them, but I only pick them out of nostalgia. Most of the situations I die in while having a bolt, I would have won with the Mkb, whereas the Mkb does good in all other areas as well.

And the Mkbs a're so plentiful, I'm never forced to pick bolt action rifles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the issue with any bonus buy. People went cheap to save $5 bucks (OMG five whole dollars!!) and lost out on the weapon unless they level up. I bought Deluxe and have the weapon from the gate as long as I pick Assualt class which I find 9 out of 10 times taken anyways. So the argument that there is too many of this super weapon used is bogus at best!

You pay for things in life. It is called a bonus weapon for paying more for the game! And you should get something more if you paid more. This is life, deal with it people!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the issue with any bonus buy. People went cheap to save $5 bucks and lost out on the weapon unless they level up. I bought Delux and have the weapon from the gate as long as I pick Assualt class which I find 9 out of 10 times taken anyways. So the argument that there is too many of this super weapon used is bogus at best!

You pay for things in life. It is called a bonus weapon for paying more for the game!

I bought the DD, and I think that the number of Mkbs is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with being cheap, it has to do with gameplay, balance and immersion.

I never have problems picking the Mkb when I want to. In the super rare cases I when I don't get it, I can make do with the equally as available G41's and MP40's. And even then, the first corpse I come across will have a Mkb I can pick up.

Upvote 0
I bought the DD, and I think that the number of Mkbs is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with being cheap, it has to do with gameplay, balance and immersion.

I never have problems picking the Mkb when I want to. In the super rare cases I when I don't get it, I can make do with the equally as available G41's and MP40's. And even then, the first corpse I come across will have a Mkb I can pick up.

How is 2 or 3 Mkb on any server too many? I can understand your argument if there were 12 or so floating around. But a few on any given map is not over the top in anyway shape or form! History is fact, this can't be ignored. The Mkb was a weapon the Germans invented. It was a weapon way ahead of its time. It made WW2 unballenced vs the Russians and allies. This is fact! The Mkb is more or less todays AK47 which came out years and years after WW2. Now the arument is just how many were actually in service? Some historians will claim it was a very rare weapon with only a small handfull in use here and there. Others will claim it was morew common then first thought as it really depended on the unit it was issued too. So, having said that having 2 or 3 in this game seems perfectly reasonable and a fair compromise regardless if it makes the game less ballenced because the weapon did this historically!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How is 2 or 3 Mkb on any server too many? I can understand your argument if there were 12 or so floating around. But a few on any given map is not over the top in anyway shape or form! History is fact, this can't be ignored. The Mkb was a weapon the Germans invented. It was a weapon way ahead of its time. It made WW2 unballenced vs the Russians and allies. This is fact! The Mkb is more or less todays MK47 which came out years and years after WW2. Now the arument is just how many were actually in service? Some historians will claim it was a very rare weapon with only a small handfull in use here and there. Others will claim it was morew common then first thought as it really depended on the unit it was issued too. So, having said that having 2 or 3 in this game seems perfectly reasonable and a fair compromise regardless if it makes the game less ballenced because the weapon did this historically!

The game has 6. (on 40 player servers, might be more on 64 boxes).
Including pick ups this means that around half the (a 20 man) team is probably carrying the weapons.

I'm not debating it's power, I'm debating it's commonness.

Upvote 0
The game has 6. (on 40 player servers, might be more on 64 boxes).
Including pick ups this means that around half the (a 20 man) team is probably carrying the weapons.

I'm not debating it's power, I'm debating it's commonness.

Depending on game server. I was just playing on 1 and the server max was 3. And you can't count picking up weapons from the dead. That is just lame...

Upvote 0
What I have discovered playing on different servers is:

Biggest MKB-42 moaners are those who use it the most.

You'll see them on the Russian side when they fail to pick Axis,
whining, spreading defeatism and despair

omg what have they done, no one uses bolts anymore, mkb-42 this and mkb-42 that

And when they shut up is when they switch side and pick up, you guessed it - MKB-42(H).

Reactions: Hesgad
Upvote 0
This is the issue with any bonus buy. People went cheap to save $5 bucks (OMG five whole dollars!!) and lost out on the weapon unless they level up. I bought Deluxe and have the weapon from the gate as long as I pick Assualt class which I find 9 out of 10 times taken anyways. So the argument that there is too many of this super weapon used is bogus at best!

You pay for things in life. It is called a bonus weapon for paying more for the game! And you should get something more if you paid more. This is life, deal with it people!!

i probably wouldnt have paid for the game at all if i new their would be MKB running around everywere. i too bought the DDE btw.

your logic is flawed.

Upvote 0
are we playing the same game? what server do u usually play on because if thats a the case i want to add it to my fav.

There can be only a limited number of assualt class in-use at any given time correct? Now seeing as though you can only ever use the Mkb if you are the assualt class this naturally limits the number of people using the Mkb! Again, this is server specific. SOme servers have it set to allow whatever the game defaults too which I trhink is 6 assualt players? I just played on one that was limited to 3 assualt players max.

Upvote 0
There can be only a limited number of assualt class in-use at any given time correct? Now seeing as though you can only ever use the Mkb if you are the assualt class this naturally limits the number of people using the Mkb! Again, this is server specific. SOme servers have it set to allow whatever the game defaults too which I trhink is 6 assualt players? I just played on one that was limited to 3 assualt players max.

but the servers that do this are not ranked servers are they? therefor with that arguement i could find any kind of settings i want and mods and say that makes the game balanced but the majority play ranked.

so again what server are you talking about?

Upvote 0
Depending on game server. I was just playing on 1 and the server max was 3. And you can't count picking up weapons from the dead. That is just lame...

If the servers are anything to go by, that opinion is very rare indeed. I've seen plenty of riflemen stop, mid-sprint, to snatch an Mkb from a dead comrade before continuing.

Upvote 0
Flawed? Nothing flawed about it because Mkb are not out running everywhere.

But too many for authenticity to make the battlefield credible. 6/32, even 4/32 is too many. You are missing our point. Too many semi-auto and SMG's in the game as it was in beta and now the powerful MkB which was probably not even in Stalingrad at all. It kills the atmosphere for us...
As it was in Beta that the commander could choose it was ok, the hero also ok but what is the point on a realism server? Relaxed realism can have 32 per team for all I care as it never tries to appeal to people like me so go for it but it takes a lot of realism away on a "realistic" server.

Upvote 0
If the servers are anything to go by, that opinion is very rare indeed. I've seen plenty of riflemen stop, mid-sprint, to snatch an Mkb from a dead comrade before continuing.

So what..this can't be avoided. It is hitorical fact! And for the record I have died more times at the hands of a rifle then I have an Mkb. Some players are crack shots with the rifle...I have died a handful of times to the mkb...

Upvote 0
So what..this can't be avoided. It is hitorical fact! And for the record I have died more times at the hands of a rifle then I have an Mkb. Some players are crack shots with the rifle...I have died a handful of times to the mkb...

Historical fact that if a soldier died with an Mkb, his partner would snatch it up, sure. Having another one appear on the battlefield less than 10 seconds later? No. No no no. The entire Axis team is kitted out with the damn things after the first two waves.

And I don't know what game's you've been playing. The killboards in my games are -jammed- with the Mkb. The odd kill here and there, but it's not uncommon to see:

lolnazi
10ftm6u.jpg
Ruskie Rifleman
lolnazi
10ftm6u.jpg
Crazy Ivan
lolnazi
10ftm6u.jpg
Boris the Bruiser
lolnazi
10ftm6u.jpg
Zangief

Pop up all at once. All it takes is one guy who's a decent shot with the Mkb and a group of Ruskies trying to work as a team.

Upvote 0