• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad system is terrible

I suppose a squad system ala BF2 PR would not be so bad.
SL makes a squad, needs 3-4 members to get a SL kit (eliminates ppl just grabbing SL for the ****s and giggles of assume weapon)
VoIP only to Squad. (atlest a own channel)
ppl can spawn on SL.

As much as i love the squad system in Project Reality, i don't think it would work very well in Red Orchestra. Although the VoIP to Squad is a good idea, also instead of having a constant spawn on squad leader, aslong as he's alive obviously. Maybe you could place Rally Points instead where they would spawn either directly on the point or very close by.

Upvote 0
There needs to be more focus on sticking together. Yesterday a squad of Germans, evidently part of a clan or some-such, all rushed the right side of Spartanovka through the gully. It was a brutal defeat for us Russians, we lost the church, the two housing blocks and the big building (name forgotten) within 2 minutes, the objectives were constantly being capped at full speed.

And this is not to say the defenders weren't good, they just didn't stick together and that is what made the difference.

So you may ask, but obviously there ARE rewards, so what are you complaining about? Well, the problem is these rewards are only available for organised squads, not for pubbies, and that is a shame.

Upvote 0
I tried opening the Join Squad menu, looked at the clunky interface and just decided to forget it.

I also don't like how you can't see where your SL is on the map clearly.

I'd love to be able to click on the map (in the spawn menu) instead of clicking "Spawn 1" Spawn 2".

Also it's annoying how it doesn't remember what spawn you selected and you have to keep reselecting the spawn you want, making you miss the spawn wave.

Upvote 0
Indeed the Squad selection menu is clunky and somewhat bad, especially when there is a Class menu. Drop the Class menu entirely and make the Squad menu more versatile ala BF2 with locking, naming, muting, kicking etc.

Anyway, atm the squad system offers nothing extra then the SL spawn. You hardly ever get to meet squad mates or coordinate anything with them, mostly cos the game so fast paced and mostly cos the voip system sucks.

Squad members are now just ppl with green names running along with guys with blue names, there is zero incentive trying to stick with squad mates atm.

At least make it so that SL chooses were you spawn so squad doesn't spread around so easily.

Upvote 0
there needs to be a hotkey for voip to squad only.

And also cohesion implemented in some way:

Extra points for taking objective with squadmembers, +1 point when a squadmember close to you kills someone, a tiny bit less suppression for each squadmember close... More points for succesfully completing an order given by your sl... Or something...

thank you for the squad voip key!

Upvote 0
Does anyone here want to take a guess at what components of the RO SDK you'd have to mess with to create a "Better Squads" mod? I don't know enough to hazard a guess myself. Could you do it independent of the map build, or would you also have to modify the maps to accommodate the idea of squad leader-dropped mobile spawn points, etc?

Upvote 0
We don't need squad system to get teamplay work.
Teamwork will be bad until everyone can play good without teammates.
You really don't need a teammate.
Everything you can do in game is easy to do without a teammate.

In Countdown its harder. Teamwork in Countdown is more important. Because if you die - you have to wait. Its easier to die not to have your teammate watching you.
In Territory mode you don't care if you die. Its just 20 seconds delay before shooting again.

Spawn system: there should be special designed spawn places across the map. If you choose to spawn on leader, you will spawn at closest spawn point, but not in the middle of a street.

Squad System is good for making new places for new roles and this is per map settings.
But isn't really squad system, it is weapon availability system.

There was number of suggestions which can greatly increase teamwork, some of them were implemented, but still teamplay is low.

In territory mode, when playing 10vs10 I really think I play single player game.

Upvote 0
I wish SLs could choose a rally point for their squadmates to spawn at that would be in cover but not all the way back at original spawns. This is somewhat realistic as in actual battle many times there would be a line of departure which is like the original spawns and then different objectives and rallying points. This way if a squad leader wanted to launch an attack on an objective from a certain angle, he'd be able to implement it that way. +1 to whoever figures out how to mod this in. +10 if it's TW themselves because that would be pretty epic.

Also, the menu to sign up for squads is completely useless, suicide to change squads? really? why not weapon select menu, then squads available? Seems like a simple change to me.

Upvote 0
Seconding the poor squad system. As others have said pub players are never going to play in an organised fashion.

In project reality everyday strangers are working together. Because you can easily start a VOIP squad, people can easily group together, and you can kick people who dont have a mic. In RO2 none of this is possible.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why TW would take something that works well from battlefield but implement it so it's barely functional. The same can be said of a lot of RO2s game mechanics but the squad system I think is the worst example.

Here is why;

-Spawning on the squad leader will often throw you into the middle of the open. Even if the SL is safe in a second story of a building you get put in the middle of the ****ing street.
-The setup of squads is terrible. Just have squads that you can join regardless of weapon class. There is zero need to have psuedo realism in joining a squad because noone in a public game is ever going to play like that. When making a realism match people will be able to set up squads how they like so it's really just a stupid terrible feature.
-What is the logic of having a rifle only squad? To add more rifles to the game? It just adds another squad leader with a semi or automatic. Whatever happened to 70+% of soldiers in ww2 having bolts?

-I forgot another huge issue is it's not clear if your SL is alive to spawn on or not and sometimes you will just end up in the normal spawn regardless.

These are not even bugs or whatever, just bad design decisions that make me frustrated with the direction TW took with RO2.
Yes. Furthermore, since most of the maps are rather small and congested, I find that most of the time you can't spawn on your SL anyway because enemies are nearby.

I have also noticed that most players don't even know they're in a squad, and that any sense of squad teamplay is completely absent. I've observed this over the course of over a month since I joined the beta in early August.

Upvote 0
This game needs the BF2 Command Map. Label rally points, label objectives to take and etc. You can somewhat do this in RO2, but when you do it isn't even noticeable.

BF2 you saw brightly colored lines or icons that indicated that your squad leader or commander just gave you an order. In RO2 all you get is a thin red circle, that most people won't even notice.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say the system is entirely "terrible," it does have potential to be great.. it just needs a lot of tweaks. Smokey got just about everything covered.

This game needs the BF2 Command Map. Label rally points, label objectives to take and etc. You can somewhat do this in RO2, but when you do it isn't even noticeable.

This game needs the BF2 squad system. A shameless carbon-copy would be totally fine

Not even arma or any other self proclaimed realism game (or even DICE's later games) has been able to compete with the simple elegance of the BF2 squad system. Alibet the fact you could spawn near enemies was pretty ****ed, but other than that it worked very well... it was easy to access, people actually played in their squads in moved as a team, etc.

It needs to be easy to use, access, and it needs to be on your screen the second you die.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My great issue with this game is that I never know where my friends are.

Without the possibility of create our own squads and manage them, it is next to impossible to get all the clan playing in the same squad, and when finally we accomplish the hard task of getting all in the same one, there are always
other players, and the map get full of green points, and you don't know who is who... so it's hell to teamplaying...

I woul'd really like to see a better squad system that let me and my friends to play together, and not like a lot Rambos.

Thank you ;)

Upvote 0
It needs to be easy to use, access, and it needs to be on your screen the second you die.

I agree totally.
I was afraid to suggest that TWI should use the BF2 squad system but heck at least they should check it out and implement same features and make it even better.

TWI needs to add a way to manage squads, easily. Now there is zero abilities to control the squad. I can't even invite buddies to my tank squad. Less clicks to control the squad the better. Like kicking/muting/inviting/mutiny voting/voting a new SL/renaming the squad/minimap should all be under the same window and as easy as possible to use.
Player icon in the minimap should more easily noticeable. Also the SL icon. And perhaps add other squad SL icons as well. Same as in BF2.

Now the squad system offers very little and hardly even affects the gameplay. And i can imagine that it might a bit hard for TWI to admit this as they probably think that their new system is the next best thing since sliced bread and probably don't feel like copying some other games systems. But something needs to be done. Current system is terrible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My great issue with this game is that I never know where my friends are.

Without the possibility of create our own squads and manage them, it is next to impossible to get all the clan playing in the same squad, and when finally we accomplish the hard task of getting all in the same one, there are always
other players, and the map get full of green points, and you don't know who is who... so it's hell to teamplaying...

I woul'd really like to see a better squad system that let me and my friends to play together, and not like a lot Rambos.

Thank you ;)

+1

I echo this.

Upvote 0