• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SCAR and M14 idea

Aze

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2010
Well, i have posted this idea multiple times in other threads, but it has never really caught on. I know this idea would take some time programming-wise etc, but i definitely think it would be worth it. In short the idea is:

Swap the lasersight and the scope between the SCAR and the M14.

Why?

About the M14:
Well, as of now, in particular the M14 feels a little... bad-ish, no? It was nerfed, rightfully so, but it feels a little bit too "meh" now, and doesn't really feel like a tier 3 weapon, at least imo. Also consider its current crappy ironsights, it actually doesnt seem designed in this game to "sharpshoot" with in the first place, but rather as a close combat rifle, due to the lasersight, which is really weird considering its status as a Sharpshooter weapon. Moving the SCAR's scope to it at the cost of the laser would GREATLY make it more fitting for the Sharpshooter. Not only would it be much better to snipe targets from longer ranges, but it would also become a bit less handy in close combat due to no easymode laseraim plus it has a scope on top of it which blocks your close-quarter-vision a little more. Which is good :)
All that, plus the kids crying for a Sniper rifle to be added might shut up for a while if this happens :p

About the SCAR:
The idea of removing the scope from the SCAR is a sad thing, yes, but if you think about, not that bad. It leaves the Bullpup as the "easy headshot machine at longer distances" of the Commando weapons, rather than both the Bullpup and the SCAR at once. The SCAR with the lasersight makes it a bit different to handle compared to the other Commando weapons, and less of a snipery weapon (which, imo, it does just a little bit too good currently) and rather a close combat assault rifle.
On top of that, it makes it easier to boost it in some other way rather than a pure damage-boost, like having it pierce one target (just like the Handcannon) without becoming too much of a sniper-death-machine (due to the lack of the Scope). Adding the piercing ability also allows for its weight to increase, to say, 7 (due to being much better at sweeping now, which is the Commando role after all :rolleyes:), while reducing the weight of the Bullpup to 5 instead. That makes more sense to me, as the Bullpup looks so tiny and the SCAR looks so heavy and powerful.

The only thing i see as a big problem here is the achievement for the M14, "Dot of Doom". It could be changed to "Vision of Doom" and require 25 headshots in a row from scoped view instead.

EDIT: Remembered one more problem. If the SCAR gets the lasersight, it would either require the SCAR to always have the lasersight active (due to secondary attack switches between auto and semi), or it could be toggled with the flashlight button (F is the default button) if programmable.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Well, i have posted this idea multiple times in other threads, but it has never really caught on.
I am pretty sure I also noticed a thread about it before, not only one I think. No to mention all answers for this idea were NO! :mad: And I even say same - NO! :mad: I mean really, it's really good as it is for now. Seriously. Why touch this since it's really perfect for now? :eek:

Upvote 0
Better idea: keep the Aimpoint on the SCAR (the Mk17 is perfect right now) and give the M14 an ACOG. The laser should also just go away. That would make the M14 a better marksman/sharpshooter weapon instead of the spam weapon it is now.

Yeah, since they nerfed the m14 to make it less spamy and more sharpshooty, it needs something to make it actually useful for getting the headshots. Just some kind of modern sight would be fine really. Scoped, not scoped, it doesn't matter. They can leave the laser in, it really makes no difference.

The only other thing that might work is to make the laser much more vivid. But leaving the scar alone is a good idea.

I think best would be a slight zoom scope, let's say a little more zoom than you get with the LAR.

Upvote 0
Yeah, since they nerfed the m14 to make it less spamy and more sharpshooty, it needs something to make it actually useful for getting the headshots. Just some kind of modern sight would be fine really. Scoped, not scoped, it doesn't matter. They can leave the laser in, it really makes no difference.

The only other thing that might work is to make the laser much more vivid. But leaving the scar alone is a good idea.

I think best would be a slight zoom scope, let's say a little more zoom than you get with the LAR.

It needs something. The only time it gets much effective use is up far-closer than it should be used, spamming near point-blank laser-sight headshots. It feels like an absolute joke compared to the awesome Lever Action, let alone the Crossbow.

The thing feels like an airsoft gun, not a beastly M-14 rifle.

And those ironsights are just the poop icing on the turd cake. Not only do you get almost no zoom, but they make accurate aiming nigh impossible.

Upvote 0
EDIT: nvm OP covered all my issues. Well done Aze :)

Not fussed 1 way or another myself, since I generally don't use either one. It does make more sense for a Sharpshooter weapon to have an actual Scope and the Rapid fire weapon to use a Laser Dot. Only real problem is the sodding around remodelling all the weapons

Mind you Dot of Doom could probably stay sicne it is a dot in your scope :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HalfDemon
Upvote 0
I tried using the sights on the M14 yesterday and i must say, i can't sharpshoot for tihs with them. The laser sight doesn't really help that much; in fact i think 2 LARs would be better than the LAR/M14 combo.

I think it needs a Leupold scope, an ACOG, something, to make aiming easier.

It's almost as if the M14 is :troll: me when i'm aiming.

"Problem, Candlejack? :troll:"

Upvote 0
I don't even bother with the M14 until they get close. It takes too long to acquire the target at range. By the time they get close to me the 9mm(trash zeds) outperform it. Hell if I am on hard I will use the damn 9mm at range before the m14! Only good thing about it was the clip size and rate of fire when the big boys got in my face, which has been nerfed. Can I get a bolt action please! A lar+xbow combo would be godly! I can dream.......or play support:p!

Upvote 0
Am I the only person who actually likes the M14's iron sights? I certainly wouldn't protest to it getting some kind of scope though. :D
But don't you dare take my SCAR's scope! Them's fightin' words! :IS2:
Am I actually the only person who NEVER uses either of these weapons? I play as Zerker all time :troll:
I only used SCAR when lvling up my commando.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I tried using the sights on the M14 yesterday and i must say, i can't sharpshoot for tihs with them. The laser sight doesn't really help that much; in fact i think 2 LARs would be better than the LAR/M14 combo.

I think it needs a Leupold scope, an ACOG, something, to make aiming easier.

It's almost as if the M14 is :troll: me when i'm aiming.

"Problem, Candlejack? :troll:"

I've been saying it all along. This thing has the potential to be a BEASTLY and fun weapon, but the near point-blank laser sight and the useless ironsights with little-to-no zoom make it useless for anything long range. NO ONE uses it right now and whenever anyone mentions it, they're largely ignored.

This is a serious issue! One of the Sharpshooter's signature guns is basically junk compared to the other. Very disappointing.

Am I actually the only person who NEVER uses either of these weapons? I play as Zerker all time :troll:
I only used SCAR when lvling up my commando.:rolleyes:

Not to be a douche here but....why are you even posting here, then?

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
The point is I had my reasons and still have to not use those weapons. I used to try out all weapons, but the least fun I had was from those weapons. Reason is obvious - M14 is rly hard to aim, too big recoil to it, ugly looks, and the laser is no add. Needs better scope. And that's the point - maybe if they swaped the laser sight with scope, like exchange them two, I'd maybe even use em sometimes ;)

Reactions: EricFong and Aze
Upvote 0
I've been saying it all along. This thing has the potential to be a BEASTLY and fun weapon, but the near point-blank laser sight and the useless ironsights with little-to-no zoom make it useless for anything long range. NO ONE uses it right now and whenever anyone mentions it, they're largely ignored.
Exactly. The weapon is not only kinda hard to use (it has a potential power though), it's also very BORING!

This is a serious issue! One of the Sharpshooter's signature guns is basically junk compared to the other. Very disappointing.
Not only that, but it's supposed to be the TIER 3! Slap a scope on, remove the laser and VOILA, it's deserving of its tier 3 status again :)

Lol, exactly what i was thinking :D Although, now when he posted further he kinda proved the point that especially the M14 needs something like a Scope :)

(If you haven't noticed though, he does troll around... A LOT! :rolleyes:)

Anyway to the 2 different weapons:
The SWAPPING of the laser and scope is perhaps not necessary, but the 2 weapons do need something.

The M14: As stated alot in this thread, it needs a scope and possibly removal of the laser. That would be all it needs to make it a worthwhile (TIER 3 mind you!) weapon.

The SCAR: While it DOES work ok right now, it is a bit too snipery imo with its easy-to-use scope and still too similar to the other Commando weapons (especially similar to the Bullpup in terms of use). A lasersight however seems more appropriate for a weapon like this, as that would help it at CLOSE combat, rather than sniping. And piercing rounds would make it feel more like a crowdclearing Commando weapon, but having that AND the scope would probably be a bit too good, also considered with its low weight.
Thus, increased weight from 5 to 7 (Bullpup down from 6 to 5 instead, to keep a lowweight assault rifle for the Commando), piercing rounds similar to the Handcannon, removal of the scope and addition of the laser seems just about right imo :)

Question: How does the SCAR's ironsight look like (if you remove the scope i mean)? Is it still kinda ok to aim with that way?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
(If you haven't noticed though, he does troll around... A LOT! :rolleyes:)
Correction - I am trolled around.
And I posted here just cuz I had something to say here. Maybe I'd finally have one more perk to play as other than zerker, or maybe will have other weapon than xbow I'd carry as Zerker... other than katana ofc :rolleyes:

Upvote 0