• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No death messages - different game

fireship4

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
I was surprised at how much of a difference it makes to the game when death messages are disabled. Unless you see them collapse, you can't be sure you've killed your target, and it makes for a tenser and more realistic game. If you want to see what it's like, just try out one of the servers which doesn't have them like DBDUK.

Anyone else who's tried it, what do you think of it? Maybe it should be standard.

I think there's at least one thread about this on the suggestion forum.

I agree. I think DM off would make this more realistic and make people far more careful. I don't know how many times I tossed a nade into a room that I know someone was in, and just have to look for a DM to know I'm safe to go in.

I think DM should be off by default, but kept on on designated "Newbie Servers" - as playing without them might be a bit frustrating at first.

Someone did mention that a big plus with DM is the satisfaction of seeing 6 Nade kills in a row from one tossed nade...

Upvote 0
DM/no-DM was debated for a bit at BFE:RO. One drawback that we saw was that it's very hard for the officers to keep track of which users are battlefield gods and thus deserving of promotions/medals. Just checking the scoreboard doesn't really tell the tale of what just happened on the battlefield. On public play however I like no-DM as it does indeed add to the intensity.

Upvote 0
I think the main point we should bring up is that it would be a lot more FUN and REALISTIC. It's interesting how many people instantly conjecture that DM off take the fun out of the game, but people don't know what's best for them. Think about no crosshairs; how do you think people felt about that? Most people are still against it to this day because they've never experienced it --they've never given it a chance. Now it's established that it's superior.

I think people need to realise that deathmessages off provides a superior gameplay experience. We all know that every time a nade is thrown and a shot is made, that we all look at that list on the top right to check for kills. Do you consider that desirable or fun?

Upvote 0
Watching your kills on the screen is fun, and NO DM is also fun.

I assume everyone knows this is an option and up to server admins.

Someimtes I wanna get in a game and shoot stuff, but i think clan matches and stuff should be DM off. It is fun and it is intense. I do like to see who shot me though, just so I can say nice shot or heckle them.

Upvote 0
Valac said:
Watching your kills on the screen is fun, and NO DM is also fun.

I assume everyone knows this is an option and up to server admins.

Someimtes I wanna get in a game and shoot stuff, but i think clan matches and stuff should be DM off. It is fun and it is intense. I do like to see who shot me though, just so I can say nice shot or heckle them.

Yeah,its good with DM's while spectating/dead, but when playing, its best off

Upvote 0
Fu. Svedberg said:
This is the way the DBDUK guys have their server set. I love them for that (and many other reasons (specially Pagan ;) ) )

It's strange, I was a real advocate of removing dm for a long time until I played a bit on their server, it's a cool idea but for me at least it did not translate into good gameplay or fun. Maybe I need to give it another try.

Upvote 0
First off, I _love_ no DM servers. But, it definitely ups the learning curve.

So, for Ost, I would suggest a gradual reduction of DMs as a player plays. First couple games, the player sees all DMs (or can turn them off right away if they wish). Then they only see thier own kills, then it settles on only seeing the person who killed you. If you want all DMs off you can do that as well.

Oh, that gives me another cool idea, i'll make it a separate post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i personally feel death messages should be left on for the time being, i mean we are gonna have tons of new players and with a steep learning curve of RO as it is dont want to scare all the new players off by making it that much more difficult to learn. I would love to see the community keep growing, not grow and slump off

Upvote 0
FuSiOn said:
i personally feel death messages should be left on for the time being, i mean we are gonna have tons of new players and with a steep learning curve of RO as it is dont want to scare all the new players off by making it that much more difficult to learn. I would love to see the community keep growing, not grow and slump off

I think changing it to DM off a while after the retail release would be a mistake. By then you'd have tons more people use to DM on, who would complain about it being removed.

I still like the idea of having them off as default, but on on "Newbie" servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wanted to add that taking out DMs increases communication. If the MG is still out there, you have to let your team know it; likewise, if you just took out the MG, you have to inform your team to move up -- meanwhile, their team has no idea that their defense has been breached (unless they're aware of what's going on around them).

So yeah. The option is there and that's all that counts, really. I like them off sometimes and on other times -- it would be nice if servers ops played around with this more often. :)

Upvote 0