• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ragdoll physics

First of all, hello to all!
As a call of duty gamer I'm coming from the IWN forum, but since IW messed up CoD2, I'm looking for a WWII FPS that would get me hooked on again.
Now my question:
I know Tripwire owns a license for the Unreal Engine, but does this mean, you got a license for the Karma physics engine too? I would rather see ragdoll animations in this game than those old-fashioned "cinematic" death animations you can see in CoD/2. In addition, I think good vehicle physics are very important for that game.

Zell said:
Ragdoll physics are already in the mod, but they're reather old and don't look so good. I imagine they'll be overhauled in the retail version. Also, vehicle physics are already quite good in the mod.

Welcome to RO, btw. :)

eh? The vehicle physics are a bit...weird.

Never saw tanks and other misc vehicles ride on one track/wheel up the side of an incline, etc :p.

Upvote 0
I would prefer a mix of animations and ragdoll for my ideal choice. A bullet might kill you but death isnt always instant. In this case there would be animations like a soldier grabing is wound then falling and then ragdoll kicks in. Remember the scene in BOB in the replacement episode. When the guy walking far out in front of the tanks is shot.

but if I cant get that, ragdoll is better then animations.

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
No, but the new Ragdoll deaths look really great :p They do. Seriously :D

I see people hanging over railings, tumble out of windows, drop down half up right in a corner, hell we even caught a russian sitting in a chair one day :D
Again: Sounds great!
I remember the death animations/ragdolls in the mod. The player models always jumped up when they were shot. I downloaded a video and watched it with quicktime. Then I moved the slider sec for sec and saw that the player models made two hops when hit by the final shot while their weapons were hanging in the air. After that they fell on the ground. I know these might be tiny details, but such things always disturb me. But I'm sure I won't see that in the retail game any more.
Can't wait to watch the first trailer, especially when it will include the great soundtrack :) .

Upvote 0
malice said:
I would prefer a mix of animations and ragdoll for my ideal choice. A bullet might kill you but death isnt always instant. In this case there would be animations like a soldier grabing is wound then falling and then ragdoll kicks in. Remember the scene in BOB in the replacement episode. When the guy walking far out in front of the tanks is shot.

That's something I wish more games would do aswell.

There's a few that do that, after/before falling. Swat 4 does it after they fall, having the people moving their arms/head a little bit so they still look alive but wounded enough to be out of it.

Upvote 0
I think the vehicles should have redone suspension.
Each tank had its different suspension system.

For instance the Panther, the Panzer III and the Russian BT-7.
The BT-7's was very smooth and was based on the M1926 Christies tank.
The Panther had a smooth suspension system too, designed by MAN right??

The Panzer III was a different story and had rock-hard suspension.
It was not different to any older tanks.

Upvote 0
malice said:

FEAR comes to mind. I like how sometimes the enemy will crawl before dropping. Sometimes I'd put them out of their misery, others I'd just point and laugh.

Upvote 0