• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First DLC--some tentative ideas

Nikita

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2011
Well it appears that despite the feature lock announcement some time ago, not everyone has gotten the message that new content will not be added until after the game's release. ;)

That said, there's no reason one shouldn't make suggestions about possible new content to be added in the first DLC :D

So far, all we know is that two light tanks will be included along with the UC and HT...

Well, here are my humble two cents:

New Maps:

--Mamayev Kurgan!!!!!
--An early battle between the Don Front and the Northern front of the Sixth Army.
--Tank map: Second Battle of Kharkov
--Dzerzhinsky Tractor Factory
--Barrikady Gun Factory
(people may be somewhat weary of urban maps by the time the first DLC rolls out, so the suitability of the last two suggestions is debatable. The first, however, is unquestionably indispensible to the story of Stalingrad)

New Weapons:

--Luger P08 (!!!)
--M38 carbine
--MG-42 (!)
--PPD-40 (with drum mag, of course)

(the last three are less common, but the first is iconic)

New features:

--Ammo sharing
--Detachable bayonets (if not detachable in release version)
--Ability to throw enemy grenades back (!)
--reduced running speed up/down stairs (could be hard--sounds difficult to implement)

Misc:

--various weapon/uniform authenticity tweaks if not too inconvenient

Thoughts?

... there's no reason to stop suggestions the fact is that even though feature lock has been added it doesn't mean that features can't be added to the game after release. :confused: i don't know what you guys are popping but stuff can indeed be added after release and suggestions should keep coming. not just for the first patch/dlc/(whatever you want to call it.) ideas shouldn't' be stopped just because they can't be added into the game on release... in fact ideas should keep coming as that is important part of forums voicing your ideas and opinions. :cool: (the whole reason we are all on this forum.)

the last few threads that's all everyone been doing. saying that the ideas and suggestions forums should go silent because there's a feature lock. :confused::confused::confused: (this i don't get.)

also i want a face-palm emoticon(make it look like captain picard face palming.) and a troll face emoticon (back). i miss the troll face one. :(

Upvote 0
They have said that all packs with maps and weapons will be free. Besides, what's the difference between the weapon+map pack DLC and just a normal patch? Nothing. (Non-free) DLC is just something that divides the community in multiplayer games, and destroys the whole game. DLC that costs money should just be for single player games, multiplayer games should have expansions.

Just think about what they have done with Call of Duty. I have paid 60 euros for the Black Ops game, the game that broke all sorts of selling records, and still they want me to pay 14 euros for 4 new maps. And there are 3 "DLC packs", so 60 euros for the game, 42 euros for 12 maps. Ooookay... I understand selling DLC for single player games like Dragon Age where you got new missions, but what happens on multiplayer games is that people who do not want to buy overpriced maps that were already made before the game was shipped will be divided from people who pay for every piece of urin, also called DLC from the Activision people.

(BTW: Black Ops was the first and the last thing from the CoD series that I bought, mainly because the game lagged sometimes on my computer, even though it shouldn't (a problem with the processor, IIRC), and secondly because they expect me to pay 14 euros for content that should be free (mod tools, anyone?) )

Upvote 0
Uh, that first DLC sounds massive. Good ideas, and I would like them in the game at some point, but I think for first DLC we should just expect 1-2 maps and 1-2 weapons.

Oh, this isn't a suggestion of what the complete DLC should look like. I'm just throwing various ideas of some things that could possibly be included. If just two or three items from the list are included, I'll be more than happy. :)

EDIT: And Tripwire should take a LONG well-deserved break after release before even thinking about downloadable content :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't like the idea of tossing grenades back simply because there usually isn't enough time to pick it up and toss it, esspecially after the thrower cooked it prior to throwing.... which I always do.

By the time it left your hand, it'd probably blow up in your face. There's only about a 5-7 second delay from pulling the pin, so from pulling the pin, to cooking the grenade, the time it takes to travel in the air, landing, then running over to pick up the grenade or looking down.... it would have blown up.

You're just going to have a bunch of people with no faces and arms, while also adding further risk to their team around them, because if it's on the ground, it confined a bit.... holding it up in the air or tossing it and then exploding in mid-air ensures that the grenade isn't blocked by most objects and the explosion can affect more than just yourself.

--------------

Besides more maps, I'd like to see the following weapons & tanks

German:

M1879 Reichsrevolver - Commonly used in WWI and prior, but has been noted as being used in WWII (A Hero Weapon perhaps)

Steyr M1912

Panzerb

Upvote 0
Pb 39, penetration of 25 mm's at 300 yards. T-70 light tank had between 45/60 mm's of sloped armor on the hull front and sides/turret front. While the PTRD and PTRS can potentially penetrate the Pz IV medium tank from the sides at 100 m's (i.e. it has a penetration of 40 mm's max at 100 m's). Please take note that the range Wikipedia has given me for the depth of penetration is not the same, so you judge whether or not it's a viable weapon. Also, T-34 has more armor than the T-70 I know.

Upvote 0
I think ammo sharing is a very good feature to have. Especially for countdown mode. All you really need is a "Drop magazine" button and let your team mate pick it up.

Failing that. Just hold out a magazine in your hand and anyone can run up and press the action button to take it. =) I think this option is better as it feels more "real". Since your actually handing them the clip.

Upvote 0
I posted this in another thread but potential future guns for RO. All produced by the nation and not including foregin captured guns.

There is already a capacity to drop ammo for MG'ers, also the Reichsrevolver i think is a no go, it's a blackpowder weapon :p It is also very rare to see it in WW1 photos. So I'd have to pass on that one, much more likely is foregin weapons like the Radom pistol.

Possible additional guns with near identical performance
German:
G43 - Identical in-game performance to G41 + no bayo
StG44 - MKb42 + no bayo
Mp3008 - German copy of the sten, essentially a worse MP40
Kriegsmodell/Volksgewehr 98k - Bayonetless ugly version of the K98
MP18/34/38 etc - Equivelent to the MP40
G33/40, Vz24, K98b etc - Mauser variants, no in-game difference.
Volksturmgewehr 1-5 - Single shot Mkb42/StG44

Weapons which are a bit different:
FG42 - A FG42 would provide a 20 shot semi-automatic rifle with an automatic capability and a bipod/bayonet, this would be an improved firearm over some of the more standard issue weapons.
MG15 - Inbetween M34/42 in terms of RPM, but with a 75 round magazine only.
MG30 - 30 round predecessor of the MG34
ZB-26 - Czech gun, was copied to make the Bren only 30 round capacity

Russian Comprables:
PPd 38/40 - Comprable to PPSh41
MN 91/44 - Mosin Carbine with captive bayonet, no-ingame difference.
DPM - Improved DP MG, no in-game difference
Bolo C96 - Smaller C96, no in-game difference

Russians with different performance:
PPd 34 - 25 Round/71 Round SMG
PPs 42/43 - 30 round SMG
DTM - Tank MG Modified for ground use, 60 round drum.

All of the comprables could be added with basically the differences being purely visual, whilst the gun's that provide different performance often less effective than the principle guns, and thus not really abuseable in a paying for performance issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly, I would expect the first update to only be stuff in Stalingrad. So I wouldn't expect Kharkov map, nor an STG44.

We know they're planning on putting out vehicles known to be in Stalingrad (T-70 / Panzer III), so I would think they'll stick to that theme.

I'm hoping we see the return of the Su-76 and StuG III - since they're based on the same chassis as the previously mentioned light tanks.

Alan also mentioned flame weapons intrigue them, but they won't be in the initial release. Maybe we'll see Molotovs and flame throwers down the road.

Upvote 0
Stop calling it DLC, DLC is a term which in general is associated with paid for content that should be added to the game for free. For example the horse armor debacle for oblivion. The term has negative connotations because of its past use.

Try to call adding of content, updates like in tf2. Essentially they are an update to the game adding new items/maps etc.
Calling it a patch doesnt seem right either since a patch is usually associated with bug stomping.
I dont know, I think update is the best term to use.
Always saying DLC for free updates shows the developers how susceptible and open you are to paying for small content releases. When you use DLC as the term of choice it shows your experience in gaming leans towards paying for these updates, when if you said updates it shows you do not expect to pay for such a thing.
Even though tripwire would never take advantage of peoples subconcious, saying "DLC" instead of update all the time indicates your willingness to pay for such things.

Oh yeah and for the update , Ehm I think it would be really cool to look at the Don river conflicts near stalingrad. The italian alpine regiments for example would be a pretty nice example because they had defensive and offensive actions.
Also there is a lot of scope there for other axis nations such as hungary and romania who were also entrenched along the Don. A game featuring a multiplayer experience with the lesser axis nations such as hungary has never been done (even though they have some very interesting unique armament choices), also I dont know of any game showing the ARMIR (italian army in russia).Seeing as the team are doing a single player german campaign which is very original it would be a breath of fresh air to try something new along these lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: fOgGy and jalex3
Upvote 0
I posted this in another thread but potential future guns for RO. All produced by the nation and not including foregin captured guns.

Most of those guns where not even used in Stalingrad. And if new content is added such as weapons or vehicles, they should be modelled properly. Simply giving it a new 3D model is not sufficient. This isn't CoD/BF.

Upvote 0