• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 DX question.

Speaking out of opinion, I never really see much difference anything after dx9, not sure what the big deal is.

As far as 3d graphics go, UT3 when used properly can render nearly photo-realistic stuff, even on DX9. Really the only improvements that can be made anymore are higher resolution textures, higher poly models, tighter lightmaps, and more realistic dynamic shadow falloff. I don't think godrays or tessellation (or whatever dx10 and 11 bring) really make that much of a difference anymore, especially since they do more damage to your framerate than they do good for the visuals.

Upvote 0
In the bash&slash bit TWI said they will have dx9 and that they are looking into dx11 but that isn't 100% certain yet.

I think both DX9 and DX10 where confirmed (as i belive the latest builds of UE3 supports both natively), and it was DX11 they where looking at as a posibillity.

Problem is, i belive Ramm accidentally confused DX10 and DX11 at one point durring that cast, at one point he was talking about DX10 where it seemed he should have said DX11 instead (IE it would have made more sense in the context of it).. it is a live broadcast, so a quick slip like that can happen quite easilly.

Upvote 0
I thought they were going to use OpenGL since I heard talk about a mac version. Hopefully they do, far superior in my opinion.

True, OGL could very well be an option due to the Mac version, but wether or not it's going to be superior is anyone's guess, it depends just as much on how well the engine can make use of the renderer, as it does on the renderer itself (and i really haven't a clue how well it does or doesen't).

Upvote 0
There is a huge difference between Unreal Tournament and Unreal Engine. Unreal Tournament runs on the Unreal Engine, but it has no correlation to the version numbers of the Unreal Engine, the Unreal Tournament is based off when it's released.

Unreal 4 is an engine designed for like 12 core processors. Really cutting edge, they are trying to corner the market when the hardware is in place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think both DX9 and DX10 where confirmed (as i belive the latest builds of UE3 supports both natively), and it was DX11 they where looking at as a posibillity.

Problem is, i belive Ramm accidentally confused DX10 and DX11 at one point durring that cast, at one point he was talking about DX10 where it seemed he should have said DX11 instead (IE it would have made more sense in the context of it).. it is a live broadcast, so a quick slip like that can happen quite easilly.

DX10 wasn't mentioned in that cast I was talking about, of course it would be logical if it had support for that as it is there by default.

But a lot of dx11 features i believe are backwards compatible (aka the real dx11 features could be disabled in the graphical settings). So in that sence dx11 support means that there generally is dx10 support for other graphics cards. So it could have been in that sense as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: samol
Upvote 0
UT 2004 used Unreal engine 2.5 if Im correct. Unreal 3 uses UE 3. God knows what game will use UE 4, probably the same game Epic has been releasing all these years: UT.

The engine is allways in development (untill a new one replaces it, anyway), so this is basically how it's gone:

Unreal: UE1
UT: UE1.5
UT2003: UE2
UT2004: UE2.5
UT3: UE3

UE4 isen't out yet as you noted, and is apparently beeing designed for the new Console generation (Xbox720 and PS4), and PC support will be added later (yeah.. i don't think that sounds too promising for us PC-gamers either), and since UT3 bombed, hard, they might not try to launch the UE4 engine with an UT title, more likely, it will be a Console title along the lines of Gears of War, as Epic is mainly a Console developer now.

Red Orchestra was first released for UT2003 as a mod, then ported to UT2004 when that came out, and then went retail from there, so it stacks up like this:

ROmod1: UE2
ROmod2: UE2.5
RO-Ost (retail): UE2.5 (modified)
RO-HoS (retail): UE3.5 (modified)

So yeah, HoS will use the same engine as UT3, but a newer and better version of it, and the engine will include som new stuff added by TWI themselves (Developers will often modify engines a bit to better support what their games need, with RO:Ost for instance, TWI added Bloom and Motion-blur support to the UE2.5 engine, to support the "suppression" effects they needed, and upgrade it's looks a bit, we don't know what they have added to the UE3.5 engine yet, but they have confimed that they have modified it in some way).

DX10 wasn't mentioned in that cast I was talking about, of course it would be logical if it had support for that as it is there by default.

Maybe it was the other way around, it's been a while since that aired, but i do recall hearing it and thinking "Wait.. did he just confuse DX10 and DX11!?", but i was listening to the edited cast, not live, so i coulen't ask.

Upvote 0
The engine is allways in development (untill a new one replaces it, anyway), so this is basically how it's gone:

Unreal: UE1
UT: UE1.5
UT2003: UE2
UT2004: UE2.5
UT3: UE3

UE4 isen't out yet as you noted, and is apparently beeing designed for the new Console generation (Xbox720 and PS4), and PC support will be added later (yeah.. i don't think that sounds too promising for us PC-gamers either), and since UT3 bombed, hard, they might not try to launch the UE4 engine with an UT title, more likely, it will be a Console title along the lines of Gears of War, as Epic is mainly a Console developer now.

Red Orchestra was first released for UT2003 as a mod, then ported to UT2004 when that came out, and then went retail from there, so it stacks up like this:

ROmod1: UE2
ROmod2: UE2.5
RO-Ost (retail): UE2.5 (modified)
RO-HoS (retail): UE3 (modified)

So yeah, HoS will use the same engine as UT3, but a newer and better version of it, and the engine will include som new stuff added by TWI themselves (Developers will often modify engines a bit to better support what their games need, with RO:Ost for instance, TWI added Bloom and Motion-blur support to the UE2.5 engine, to support the "suppression" effects they needed, and upgrade it's looks a bit, we don't know what they have added to the UE3 engine yet, but they have confimed that they have modified it in some way).

Maybe it was the other way around, it's been a while since that aired, but i do recall hearing it and thinking "Wait.. did he just confuse DX10 and DX11!?", but i was listening to the edited cast, not live, so i coulen't ask.

[Nitpickmode]

There is only UE 3, no UE 3.5 :p

[/Nitpickmode]

Upvote 0