• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is needed to make RO better suited for Clanwars out of the box?

Ghad

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Bergen, Norway
www.battlefield.no
In my opinion:

In General:
1. Implement a better model for scoring. Battlefield 1942 got this exactly right on the first try, RO:CA isnt really there yet.
2. Spectator mode. Implement a good spectator mode, to make it easy to shoutcast.
3. Implement some sort of ROTV, where people can join a proxy server to spectate the game from any angle, with a short delay.

Prematch:
4. Make it easier to swap teams, so that you can easily get to the correct team after joining the server.
5. Make it possible for a server admin to swatch all players to the other team.
6. Implement some sort of ready for war toggle. The server should start a new round before all players have declared that they are ready.

During match:
7. Make it easy for a server admin to pause the game. It must be possible to chat during pause, but the camera should be frozen. When unpausing, a timer should count down to live game.
8. An irc scorebot is nice

After match:
9. Make it very easy to record demos of the match.
10. Make it very easy to see who got the points.

Any more suggestions?

A question to devs: How much do you value clan matches when designing the game?

Ghadafi said:
In my opinion:

Ghadafi said:
In General:
1. Implement a better model for scoring. Battlefield 1942 got this exactly right on the first try, RO:CA isnt really there yet.

Agree with the other posters. For public play though I'd like to see an overhaul which would promote teamwork more. Like Only Cap-Points and Deaths in real time, and Kills either periodically or after the end of a round.

Ghadafi said:
2. Spectator mode. Implement a good spectator mode, to make it easy to shoutcast.

True

Ghadafi said:
3. Implement some sort of ROTV, where people can join a proxy server to spectate the game from any angle, with a short delay.

True, though UTTV works with RO Mod already and delivers outstanding results, esecially becasue of the camera-movement smoothing.

Ghadafi said:
Prematch:
4. Make it easier to swap teams, so that you can easily get to the correct team after joining the server.

Agree

Ghadafi said:

This on would really be neat.

Ghadafi said:
6. Implement some sort of ready for war toggle. The server should start a new round before all players have declared that they are ready.

There is already something like that IIRC, but it is only accesible via ini-editing. Right now it works like "Class selected = ready".

Ghadafi said:
During match:
7. Make it easy for a server admin to pause the game. It must be possible to chat during pause, but the camera should be frozen. When unpausing, a timer should count down to live game.

Admins can pause the game, but it is a hassle, and they can't observe whats going on on the server then. So I agree.

Ghadafi said:

Isn't there one already?

Ghadafi said:
After match:

open console "demorec filename"...

Ghadafi said:

I don't understand that one... You mean player scores or team scores? I find both to be quite easy to see.

Ghadafi said:

Hopefully enough but not that much that it won't be fun on publics :D

Upvote 0
I could have been more clear on this point in the first post: I kinda knew that some of these points already were covered, but I still wanted to point them out so that what already is good could be pointed out, not just the bad points. :)

When it comes to scoring, I'm not totally satisfied with the scoring model in RO:CA. In many games of four rounds, the clans wins two rounds each.

Several variables can be used to determine if a round was won, and by how big a margin.

1. Did one team lose all their reserves? (not as likely in ro as in bf1942).
2. Did the attacking team wipe out the defenders?
3. How long time did the attacking team need to win?
4 How many kills/deaths

and so on.

Upvote 0
nice ideas

nice ideas

...i think u havent found new world but all is VERY true and if it would be implemented in game it would realy increased clanwars information gaining...

and if u say that u dont need to see who is first at score tab u r not right... it is always fun on public if u can chalenge ur friend who is first... and it is just thing that can bring some fun in...(imo)... during cw nobody cares but on public some players can enjoy it... so why not

Upvote 0
- An improved ROstats tracker, which follows every single server as a standard (you can turn it off, by it should be enabled as a standard value).
- A button in the game's main menu which leads you to your ROstats profile.
- ROstats with a profile system which no longer depends on nicknames but on loginnames on which multiple nicknames can be registered and tracked.

I know ROstats is owned by Fuhrer but I'm sure Tripwire can make some deals with Fuhrer...

Upvote 0
To my knowladge, ROstat is a ut tracker that can track the RO mod... with RO:O, it will be its own game, and the dev's can implement their own stat tracker if they want... they dont need to get Fuhrer's permission for that.

It would be nice to have a proper tracking site (Fuhrer did a good job... but it aint perfect).

Regarding clan support, it would be nice to have a seperate name field for a clan/group/BFE in addition to your user name (so you can easily turn on/off your tags without having to do a setname in the console.

This could also be setup to properly set up a VOIP between all the clanner's automaticly, vs doining it manually.

Shadehunter

Upvote 0
Shadehunter said:
To my knowladge, ROstat is a ut tracker that can track the RO mod... with RO:O, it will be its own game, and the dev's can implement their own stat tracker if they want... they dont need to get Fuhrer's permission for that.

It would be nice to have a proper tracking site (Fuhrer did a good job... but it aint perfect).

Regarding clan support, it would be nice to have a seperate name field for a clan/group/BFE in addition to your user name (so you can easily turn on/off your tags without having to do a setname in the console.

This could also be setup to properly set up a VOIP between all the clanner's automaticly, vs doining it manually.

Shadehunter
I don't really think the netcode system changed even a bit.
As all games do, they send information through UDP and TCP ports.
These can be picked up and forwarded to a webpost port.
a PHP page can translate this RAW-data into a nice database.

Should be possible.

Upvote 0
if you ask me your thinking way to complicated

at the moment stats tracking is just done by Ut stats or anybody for that matter asking the server for current statistics of the game in progress.
and the server can tell the stats trackers whether they want to be asked or not.
quiet simple actualy, so no need to send the raw network data to the trackers,
that would not only be a complete wast of bandwith the data would have to be processed twice instead of just once.

the RO dev team or anybody else could just set up a tracking site without any changes to the current UT code.

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
if you ask me your thinking way to complicated

at the moment stats tracking is just done by Ut stats or anybody for that matter asking the server for current statistics of the game in progress.
and the server can tell the stats trackers whether they want to be asked or not.
quiet simple actualy, so no need to send the raw network data to the trackers,
that would not only be a complete wast of bandwith the data would have to be processed twice instead of just once.

the RO dev team or anybody else could just set up a tracking site without any changes to the current UT code.
Sure it's called webposting and since UT2.0, UT2.x and UT2.5 still have the same netcode and networking system the tracking port should still be the same.

In case it's disabled by default, the dev's should enable it by default and vo

Upvote 0
In my opinion:

In General:
Socring in what game? CTF for BF?
The model is fine. If all objectives are captured one team wins if not other team wins. If one team runs out of reinforcements the other team wins.Quite simple really.

Spectator mode is already apart of the mod. You can server side demo it client side. Use UTV for shoutcasting (if working for RO). There are alot of options

See answer for question 2
Prematch:
This has been in RO since 3.1. Commands below
Minnetplayers - Will hold off the game until min amount of players are on the server
Playersmustbeready- players would have to be clicked in to start the match.

I have never had a problem with this. If one person wont move when asked you kick him.

See 4 for some of it. I think you are trying to say a warmup mode until all players signaled they are ready? To have it work between rounds?

During match:
Admin pause has been in RO from the begining. Now a timer is a different thing and a good idea.

I am sure someone will write a mutator for this if needed.

After match:
DemoRec. Make it easy to watch them =)

Press F1 for scoreboard.

Any more suggestions? I

I am no dev but i have made some requests when it was a mod such as minnetplayers and playersmustbeready and they implemented it so that says alot for them listening to the community. Also you could write a mutator for the feature that RO is lacking.

Upvote 0
Most points already have been discussed and also many have been solved already

1. the problem is not to see who won, the problem is to see how easy or hard that was done. If you see it in terms of ladder play, it would be interesting if one team managed to hold the map until 2minutes before the round end while the other one lost in a 3 minute game. It would better reflect the strength of clans if you would have a more detailed scoring system, something like getting points for holding an objective a certain time.

2. spectator mode has imo nothing to do with shoutcast/UTV. At least for the mod version and UTV.

3. UTV works for RO 3.3. We tried it a while ago and broadcasted several matches of the NationsCup

4. Imo this is more a public play problem, with clanplay you usually have enough time to join the correct team

5. Again a public problem. Or did you have many matches where one refused to join the correct side?

6. It would be nice to see something like a complete war setup. So you dont have to restart the map after every round manually. Maybe the possibility to set the maps that are played and the server plays the maps in that order.
But on the other hand, do we need that? It works how it is atm. Without too much hassle.

7. What Majai said

8. There already is such a mutator. => join #ro-live on qnet. it reports live from the roladder server.

9. you also can bind demorec to a key.

10. dont get this point, what exactly do you want to see? You want a seperate display for caps and kill? then i all for it ;)

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
how about a simple option for server side demorec-ing?

currently demos only show what the demorec-er sees.
server side demos will show everything, and should there for a lot more usefull as evidance of any wrong doing.

theres also a mutator for this atm. Would be nice to have it as a standard option. Though i would prefer that weapons show up in demos

Upvote 0