• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Opinions on name-tags and realism.

5thSSDW.KGW~CO

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2011
I'd be interested to hear people's views on this.

The in-game name-tags, as they appear above the players' characters...on or off (for friendlies only)?

I know they kind of break the immersion and stuff, but are they realistic in as much as they allow you to recognize a comrade as you would be able to in real life, or are they too unrealistic regardless of that realistic function? I see that they can be set to "Near" and "Far" in the web-admin setup.

Thoughts?

Having played with it off in beta a lot of the time....I prefer name tags. My tolerance for realism goes only so far. Like a lot of mechanics, maps and things, TWI made them toggleable, which is good.

I suppose if, one night, I want to go full immersion, flip off the lights, crank up the surround sound and have a war game night....I'd enjoy it. The little bit of angst you get trying to decide whether or not your target is friendly at a distance is kind of cool.

On the other hand, that split second you hesitate to not blow away friends in close quarters gets you killed, all the time. And rather than rack up a huge team kill score and probably get kicked by the server with a shoot first and beg forgiveness later policy.....I'd rather have names showing as far as I can see them.

Plus with RL friends and notable pubbies, there's really no other way to track them when they're in a group. One green dot looks the same as another. I even wish we could have names printed to the full game map so I could see where friends are across the battlefield.

Upvote 0
I know it can be setup where you only see them when you are close to them.

I've noticed this, too. If a friendly is close to you, then you see their name. But looking at a distance - down ironsights even, then there's no name. Makes sense to me. In close situations, you'd look at your comrades, and see their face and recognize them. At a distance, you wouldn't be able to tell.

Upvote 0
I've noticed this, too. If a friendly is close to you, then you see their name. But looking at a distance - down ironsights even, then there's no name. Makes sense to me. In close situations, you'd look at your comrades, and see their face and recognize them. At a distance, you wouldn't be able to tell.

Yep thats how I see it. In real life you'd be able to tell whos who when they're close enough rather than just knowing theyre russian or german.

Upvote 0