• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MP-40 is a a death ray gun!

Fired a MP40, 9mm AR-15, accuracy was never an issue. Yes, wind did displace the shot groupings to the right and left at times, but they were still reasonable groupings. No it wasn't a 1MOA rifle or anything, but I could reliably hit a torso sized plate at 200yds (182m).

Unlike the 30-30 and 30-06 we fired that day, the plate didn't really move though. That's really the problem, the Mp40 is hitting at range how it hits indoors. The 9mm coming out of this thing isn't bleeding any energy at all.

I think a in game test showing shot pattern, and the strike of some of these kill shots is in order. If it's catching people in the T-Box then it's all just bad luck. If a 9mm is ripping through helmets, walls, and uniforms at 200m we have an issue.

-Paas

The AR-15 9mm conversion can't even compare to a mp40 used during the war its alot! more accurate than the mp40(take in mind a smg is not a rifle).Did you fire the mp40 from a standing position? Even from a rested position at a 8 inch target? (like the head shots from the video hitting guys in the window) within 3 rounds?

If so please make a video I would gladly and humbly eat my words.At 200m the 9mm is in no way as accurate as a 30 caliber rifle round.With respect anyone that argues this just doesn't Know weapons at all.

To prove this enter 1200 velocity and 115 bullet weight sight in at 200m into this ballistics calculator http://www.handloads.com/calc/ and these are ideal conditions "the perfect shot no human error"

61" inch bullet drop and 14" spread is not what I call accurate at least not to the extent showed in this video.I am arguing accuracy while the 9mm still is lethal at 200m at 919 foot per sec about that of a 45 acp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The AR-15 9mm conversion can't even compare to a mp40 used during the war its alot! more accurate than the mp40(take in mind a smg is not a rifle).Did you fire the mp40 from a standing position? Even from a rested position at a 8 inch target? (like the head shots from the video hitting guys in the window) within 3 rounds?

If so please make a video I would gladly and humbly eat my words.At 200m the 9mm is in no way as accurate as a 30 caliber rifle round.With respect anyone that argues this just doesn't Know weapons at all.

To prove this enter 1200 velocity and 115 bullet weight sight in at 200m into this ballistics calculator http://www.handloads.com/calc/http://www.handloads.com/calc/ and these are ideal conditions "the perfect shot no human error"

61" inch bullet drop and 14" spread is not what I call accurate at least not to the extent showed in this video.I am arguing accuracy while the 9mm still is lethal at 200m at 919 foot per sec about that of a 45 acp.

I fired mostly from standing, unsupported, as I don't do much bench shooting in my line of work. Firing burst of 3 to 5 rounds I was able to consistently hear the metal plate take rounds. The plates are 48 inches diagonal (representing the human groin to lower neck), and are about 45lbs.

Now am I saying you should be pulling off single tap head shots in the video? No. Would I be able to, with some fire saturation, hit a target out to 200yds? Yup.

So stop being so overzealous, no one is arguing that a 9mm round is as accurate at a 7.62. A 115gr 9mm projectile is borderline less than lethal at 200m, and definitely not a man stopper. While in ideal situations the round may arrive at 919fps, you're lucky to get someone to register the impact outside of extremely soft tissue (abdomen, eye socket, cheeks, etc. etc.) in combat. It arrives with laughable force. In the game though it seems to hit at 200m like a 7.62 out to it's maximum effective range. Combine this with the tight groupings of the MP40 in game, and I can begin to see a lot of people's frustration.

-Paas

Last edited:
Reactions: Josef Nader
Upvote 0
Now am I saying you should be pulling off single tap head shots in the video? No. Would I be able to, with some fire saturation, hit a target out to 200yds? Yup.

So stop being so overzealous, no one is arguing that a 9mm round is as accurate at a 7.62. A 115gr 9mm projectile is borderline less than lethal at 200m, and definitely not a man stopper. While in ideal situations the round may arrive at 919fps, you're lucky to get someone to register the impact outside of extremely soft tissue (abdomen, eye socket, cheeks, etc. etc.) in combat. It arrives with laughable force. In the game though it seems to hit at 200m like a 7.62 out to it's maximum effective range. Combine this with the tight groupings of the MP40 in game, and I can begin to see a lot of people's frustration.

-Paas

I agree 100% with this I am being overzealous because some people are arguing that the "in game" mp40 is realistic.With its accuracy/stopping power just because it says it has a 200m effective range.I never said it shouldn't be able to hit anything at 200m just not to the high accuracy as showed in the video. And this my only real grip about the game so far.

Not sure why I bother arguing its obvious the people saying its realistic and shouldn't be changed is the ones using it.And not wanting to loose their fully automatic highly effective long range smg lol.

Reactions: aop
Upvote 0
I fired mostly from standing, unsupported, as I don't do much bench shooting in my line of work. Firing burst of 3 to 5 rounds I was able to consistently hear the metal plate take rounds. The plates are 48 inches diagonal (representing the human groin to lower neck), and are about 45lbs.

-Paas

You people hush up and listen to the man. He knows his stuff!

Upvote 0
My god I hope they nerf the MP40.
It's bad enough the Germans are almost ALWAYS 1-2 people overstacked.

BUt I will say this:

PPSH was MUCH MUCH MUCH more common on the field of Stalingrad than was the MP 40.

This leads me to suggest there be a bit less Assault roles available on the German side.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From Wiki entry on MP-40:

Despite the impression given by popular culture, particularly in war films and video games, MP 40s were generally issued only to paratroopers and platoon and squad leaders; the majority of German soldiers carried Karabiner 98k rifles. However, later experience with Soviet tactics - such as the Battle of Stalingrad where entire units armed with submachine guns outgunned their German counterparts in short range urban combat - caused a shift in tactics, and by the end of the war the MP 40 and its derivatives were being issued to entire assault platoons on a limited basis.

So basically, there should be MORE Assault classes on the Soviet side.
It's very historically accurate and balancing as well.

Also,
PPSh produced: 6,000,000
MP40 produced: 1,000,000 (spread across multiple fronts)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The effective range of the gun is 100m. But what is the effective range of the soldier?

The soldiers were cold (possibly frost-bitten), sleep-deprived, hungry, dehydrated, either wounded or ill, and had to spend most of their days running around to avoid getting shot. I SERIOUSLY doubt that the soldier could snipe a head at 150m with extreme ease like you can in RO2.

So you want a game where your vision is constantly blurry, where you can barely move and may have to spend hours lying on your back in a barracks, groaning at the ceiling as you try to muster the strength to even get to your feet? Oh and your aim gets thrown off every so often due to coughing once you did get to your feet and to the battle.

Eh, I'll take RO2 as it is then, it's still far more realistic than anything the competition has to offer.

Upvote 0
So you want a game where your vision is constantly blurry, where you can barely move and may have to spend hours lying on your back in a barracks, groaning at the ceiling as you try to muster the strength to even get to your feet? Oh and your aim gets thrown off every so often due to coughing once you did get to your feet and to the battle.

Eh, I'll take RO2 as it is then, it's still far more realistic than anything the competition has to offer.

When did I say I wanted any of that?

I'm just providing multiple reasons as to why I think there should be more sway/lack of precision. I'm not asking for drastic changes, but as it stands now aiming in this game is like playing Quake-3 instagib.

Upvote 0
I would just like to point out the number of rounds you spent just to get those handful of kills compared to a rifleman.
Because people are smaller than my front sight at this range maybeh? The gun itself is extremely accurate and lethal at such ranges, and like Ive said my prob is less about mp40 > all, its about how they (TWI) molested PPSH.

But just wait.. if IRL germans used PPSH's, here people will cross class unlock and use MP40/II and if there were 6 PPSH's for one Mp40 IRL, here its gonna be 1 MP40/II for 1 PPSH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0