• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game crashes as soon as I get to the menu

Same problem appears on my computer

XP SP3 / AMD 3800+ /GF6800 AGP (old computer i know that)
Ports on my routeur (Internet Provider Box) are opened and on software firewall (Kerio 2.15) is correctly configured, system and video drivers up to date

- I tried to run game with D3D9 or D3D and same problem,
- KillingFloor.ini file delete, game completly download and re-install,
- Verification of cache file and defragmenting game file done
- All graphics options in minimum level
- NTFS/ACL system authorisations checked
- HardDrived check (clusters or others errors)

and finally no log, the log file is empty....

Sorry for my english i'm a french user

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does the map editor crash also?

I'd suggest closing all open programs (everything in your system tray and killing processes) as long as none of them are mission critical (like server software for your hotel). When you turn off your antivirus if you have one then disconnect from the internet for safety (I wouldn't, but its sound advice).

Removing all the extra running software/processes help you eliminate what is causing the prob. If you disable your paltalk or norton and suddenly it works then you know what you have to fix.

Is there anything coming up in your Windows Event Log? (Start, run (or WinKey + R), type eventvwr.msc and click ok)

To help determine where the prob lays you could also open up the KillingFloor.ini file, turn off sound, try the different render devices and start disabling things to see if it start working.

If you can't get it to run by this point then I'd assume the problem is related to a driver or possibly a service which is running. I'm not going to suggest doing anything there unless you know how to fix any issues you may make.

But that's a start.

Upvote 0
Well this sounds like a hardware compatibility issue, somewhere between your hardware, drivers, and OS. Hard locking your machine is generally caused by some hardware failure, not a bug within the game. It could be trying to run a particular code path on your video card causing the hard lock, such as utilizing HDR Bloom. It could be the way it goes to full screen conflicting with a corrupted windows installation. It could simply be that a file is corrupted on your hard disk and is causing Windows to lock up attempting to read the file. But I'd be looking at testing your hardware or reinstalling your operating system to resolve this issue, as I don't believe there's anything that can be done in the game's code/files.

Upvote 0
I have an solution that migth work.

I have an solution that migth work.

i stumbled into the samething. Yesterday when i bougth the game. This tric worked for me, so i'll just have to share it.

Open up your killingfloor.ini There is an line

[FirstRun]
FirstRun=0

Change this to

[FirstRun]
FirstRun=1

Then start to game and the first run number will be changed to something like this.

[FirstRun]
FirstRun=3339

Now at this point i started KF and i worked. it seems to freeze at splash screen but then the game will popup..

also if it gives some wierd errors. just try changing the

[Engine.Engine]
RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice

untill it fits your computer's specs

Upvote 0