• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A world war one mod

Ok, Ive been learning how to map and decided to make a section of german trench.
Its very basic, ive not yet learnt how to put bumpy terrain on :S

RedOrchestra2006-11-0621-07-05-29.jpg

The view from the top

RedOrchestra2006-11-0621-07-59-35.jpg

Upvote 0
modeling is quite easy to pick up, go get 3dsmax 7 - 8 or so... i would also love to see this mod take off. it would be bloody though. lots of artillery. but only before the charge. so i guess with somewhat distructable environment, you can arty the poo outa your enemys for 1 - 4 minutes , then make your charge through the weakened territory. during the bombardment the soldiers would retreat to further back lines and recharge the front lines when the wistles where blown.

Upvote 0
ok, been busy this week, still am, but il send you the updated site design Pishi asap.
Great start to level planning, which i wouldent mind helping with (paper+pen concept plans)
i have a book called 'the greatest battles of world war one' which has great painted pictures of the main battles and some uniforms.

it'd be great if an experienced mapper could work with A-Tree with UnrealEd.

729px-Trench_construction_diagram_1914.png

trench_profile.jpg

trench_layout.jpg

layout.jpg

WIKIPEDIAAerial_view_Loos-Hulluch_t.jpg

should definetly have some of the town assualts/village fights too.

sap01_ca000111_p.jpg

sap01_cvl00134_p.jpg

loopgraaf.jpg

inspectie.jpg

imag0169.jpg

i'll organise all the pics (approx 400+) into a zipped folder and send em to team members.

Upvote 0
What would be really kickass and you would probably need an excellent coder for this would be in a waterlogged trench you "wade" through it (speed-> decelerated ) and if you stay in one place for ages then you start to sink into the mud . Would probably have a limit of ankle height .... dont want to be sinking up to our necks...

Upvote 0
I think a WW1 mod would be a great option- more power to you!

It's been said in this thread that it would be boring because of trench warfare and all that- but that's not all WW1 was about. In the early days it was all about maneuver warfare, and only by accident did it degenerate into the popular vision of muddy trenches and gas attacks all the time.

Remember, too, that WW1 saw the birth of tank combat- how cool would it be to crew in a Renault or Mark whatever Male or Female? Or how about the 18-man monster the Germans fielded, the A7V?

For an VERY good cinematic portrayal of WW1 combat 'outside the trenches' I suggest the movie 'The Lost Battalion', a mostly true account of an American infantry unit cut off in the Ardennes. (For those of you 'in the know', the lead role is played by none other than a grown-up Peter Billingsley- 'Ralph' in "A Christmas Story"...how cool is THAT!)

In any case, WW1 gaming hasn't been represented at ALL to my knowledge to any degree; having a mod using the same system as RO would be totally cool and a very welcome addition to my small collection.

Upvote 0
Ok, Ive been learning how to map and decided to make a section of german trench.
Its very basic, ive not yet learnt how to put bumpy terrain on :S

RedOrchestra2006-11-0621-07-05-29.jpg

The view from the top

RedOrchestra2006-11-0621-07-59-35.jpg
Looks fantastic for a starter! ;)
I love to see this mod really get going. There has never really been a good WW1 FPS out there.
There is "The Trenches" but that's an HL1 mod and is just really old and not very good quality IMO.
Are you joking? The Trenches is really good actually.

Maybe it's semi-arcade, but the gameplay is pretty good.
The Trenches 1.1 will be much much better.

Upvote 0
I think that the layout would be better if there was some sort of thing in the middle that we could put the information on, because text wouldn't come out very well against the dirt backround.

yeah good point, lets kick the designers arse!

...anyhow, il try workin on it in the week man. think should keep the dirt background still? could put something over the dirt background?

how are other things going on with the mod? is ther a list of team actual members yet?
do they/you all use msn ? (thats the only form of instant messenger i use)

Upvote 0
yeah good point, lets kick the designers arse!

...anyhow, il try workin on it in the week man. think should keep the dirt background still? could put something over the dirt background?

you could put like a piece of of paper pinned to the dirt ( make it a bit smudged si it fits and maybe a bit slanted to one side) with the info on it....

just an idea.

Upvote 0