• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For anyone with below average FPS, try this!

Entering that command is not turning the culling on I believe, it's turning it off. This won't improve things for everyone, just certain systems. On other systems, people may see a drop in performance instead. It's there to improve performance but it doesn't seem to play nice with some higher end PC's, so turning it off can be beneficial in some instances.

Until the menu option is in, you'll have to enter it every time you start the game.

Upvote 0
For the nvidia guys I get better frame rates using hardware physics takes stress off the cpu.Not sure if ati offers this but it helped me alot on fps.Even on Pavolv's was getting 18-30 fps now its 35-60(vsync stops it at 60) using the on board physics.

Not even a real good system either
windows7 64 bit
i5 650@ 3.2
8 gigs ram
gtx 460 1g

http://www.gamephys.com/game-physics/red-orchestra-2-uses-gpu-physx/

my settings..not sure about frame rate smoothing and one frame thread lag ...if they help or hurt will have to tinker and see.(not a computer nerd lol) anything below high shadows makes me crash for some reason
2011090900001e.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello , with umbra it will only draw the objects visible by the camera as opposed to drawing the full map objects without it from what i understood , here's a video from the devs of this technology explaining it in detail :

[url]http://blogs.unity3d.com/2010/09/22/unity-3-feature-video-occlusion-culling-with-umbra/[/URL]

Unity3d is a nice little game engine, I bought it back when it was first released, I love it's web player abilities and I'm still amazed that the 3d browser games haven't had more of an impact on the gaming industry.

Upvote 0
Nice, I'll check it out. Performance from this patch seems a tad better than last time (HD5770, AMD 555, 4GB RAM, 64-bit W7) but hopefully this will make it better

It's a setting in the settings menu with this update. You don't need to do this at all in the console.
I didn't see any setting in the menu, at the very least you could have said the name and location of this setting if you're going to be smart about it...

Upvote 0
For the nvidia guys I get better frame rates using hardware physics takes stress off the cpu.Not sure if ati offers this but it helped me alot on fps.Even on Pavolv's was getting 18-30 fps now its 35-60(vsync stops it at 60) using the on board physics.

I dont know if it was the update or hardware physics, but now the game runs for me on mid settings.
Before: 10-20 fps
now: 30-40

Dual Core 2.0 GHZ, 3MB L2 Cache
Geforce 9600M
4GB DDR3

Now its playable, thx!

Upvote 0
This worked quite well for me. Posted my computer specs before. I can run the game on mostly high with some medium and AA, probably could crank it up abit more. Bloom still looks horrible and unrealistic though, should turn it off but then it feels like something's missing. I never understood the whole bloom/HDR craze, it was never good and I think set back graphics.

Upvote 0
Just to clear up some confusion regarding this setting.

1. Umbra culling affects how objects that are not visible to you are culled out before they are sent to the GPU for rendering. This is a draw call optimization, but just figuring out whether something should be rendered or not is not a cheap calculation, and can at times prove more expensive than just going ahead and drawing the object itself. This is why you were seeing the performance hit.

2. The setting the game used before the last update was performance intensive. You no longer need to type 'umbra culling' on the console anymore. In the video settings menu, there is a occlusion quality setting. The game will default it to Normal, and you should not put it to high unless you are ok with the performance hit.

3. The difference between normal and high is basically - in normal if you get to very low frame rates you might see stuff pop in if you rotate your camera very quickly. High will ensure that this never happens but at a consistently higher runtime cost as you've noticed. Otherwise, there is no difference between them, and I'd recommend you keep the default setting which is normal.

Upvote 0

1. Umbra culling affects how objects that are not visible to you are culled out before they are sent to the GPU for rendering. This is a draw call optimization, but just figuring out whether something should be rendered or not is not a cheap calculation, and can at times prove more expensive than just going ahead and drawing the object itself. This is why you were seeing the performance hit.

2. The setting the game used before the last update was performance intensive. You no longer need to type 'umbra culling' on the console anymore. In the video settings menu, there is a occlusion quality setting. The game will default it to Normal, and you should not put it to high unless you are ok with the performance hit.

3. The difference between normal and high is basically - in normal if you get to very low frame rates you might see stuff pop in if you rotate your camera very quickly. High will ensure that this never happens but at a consistently higher runtime cost as you've noticed. Otherwise, there is no difference between them, and I'd recommend you keep the default setting which is normal.

thx for the clarification.

Upvote 0

Strange. I have occlusion quality set on normal and when I type umbra culling on the console in-game I still instantly get around +20fps.

Upvote 0