• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Most Accurate Review So Far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo0nbuggy1

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2010
Melbourne, Australia.
Often I will go to metacritic for my reviews, however I only read the user reviews as they are the only trustworthy sources of feedback.

And here is why.

Written by DEnglish Sep 18, 2011
(http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad)

Score. 4/10

"The combat is fierce. The avatar weapons are very well done, it feels authentic. Cover and mantling is very good. The maps are detailed, and offer plenty of dramatic play. The fundamental offering of WW2 combat is met, which gives HOW hope for the future. Where HOS falls down is in leaving the realism genre for an arcade offering. More accurately, it tries to straddle the fence, and predictably, slips and nuts itself with a leg on either side. In trying to please both, HOS pleases neither the realism crowd, nor the arcade crowd. HOS incorporates all of the tired features of the successful shooters: recon planes, mini-maps, radar, automatic reloading, leveling, and skill grinding. By doing this, it is competing against the biggest gimmick shooter companies. It will lose. TWI does not have the resources to compete on the disposable game market. Therefore, the arcade shooters attracted by bells and whistles will move on to the next game, leaving RO standing in its present state before the realism audience. This will be a dire moment. An example of one of the gimmicks that are not innovative and that get old quickly is the canned voices. The voices are cute at first, but soon get tedious, as they become the same thing over and over again, or give one away as they are trying to be stealthy. The unintended side effect of canned voices is that players are left unable to communicate effectively about the battlefield. This is an example of a major re playability error. Much more attention should have been given to what players want to say, not what the software is programmed to say. The more a game plays itself, the more disposable it is. The more a game needs to be played, the more it will endear itself to the community that made RO successful. Canned voices is one example of the game being taken away from players. That the game lacks any real historical context is another glaring fault that will affect it's long term chances. The maps start and stop with no contextual background, no information on the units fighting, where they are, or why they are there. There is simply a side start screen, and the map starts. An arbitrary battle that ends in a tired theme song and another canned voice. Modders and map makers will want to tell the story of their contribution. In its present state, HOS is arbitrary in its context, and repetitive in its presentation and conclusion of the map. HOS destroys Fog of War with recon planes and maps showing enemy locations. This type of feature firmly implants HOS in the genre of disposable game. The realism community requires the puzzle of combat, the arcade crowd required targets presented at a fast pace. When the arcade players move on, HOS will stand before the realism faithful as a redundant, self-playing game. There are numerous examples of this effect. HOS should have taken advantage of the void re: realism shooters, and entered the game world defiantly, with a solid, realistic game. Instead of blinking-lights, TWI should have focused on features that would make the game dynamic for years to come: flamethrowers, spreading and persistent fire, in-game hero effects, player placed MG positions (not the forever frozen ones it has now) and any other of a myriad of potential things that the scenario of Stalingrad combat gives. HOS should have stood firm on the requirements of realism shooters. The response to "I don't know where my enemies are" should not be "Here is a radar". It should be "listen to the battle, you will learn". It will be very interesting to see where HOS goes from here. The bugs and balance issues will be fixed. What remains to be seen is how the game will rebound from the inevitable disposal it will face, and what the realism faithful will decide to do"

All in all. I think that is easily the best review written so far. Props to DEnglish for telling it how it is.

Last edited:
I disagree with him on a few points.

First off though, he obviously didn't touch the single player. All that historical context yadda yadda....all of that was given in the SP as a direct reference to the setup for the MP matches.

So -1 for not even digging into everything game offered. Whether you like SP or not, you should check it out because it's offered. You cannot cram that much historical detail into the 20 seconds people are loading a map. No one is going to bother to read it when they have roles to pick, squads to join and enemies to shoot.

Secondly, the voices. It's a gimmick, sure, but it's a well done gimmick. No game with voice overs has ever really had variety except the operas that are Mass Effect and Dragon Age. What we have inside is brutal death sounds and decent, passionate everything else. (Quality of the accents aside, that's really subjective.) If voices "give you away" too much, it's a balance issue not a game breaker. Seriously, I'm not sure I've ever heard a shooter pay this much attention to what a guy's last moments sound like.

His whole schpiel about taking control away from the player and letting the game do stuff.....it's fair to a degree. On the other hand, one of the things that turned me off about RO was it was so basic, it wasn't helping me enough.

What's off to me about MP games is the pacing. Things DO end abruptly and awkwardly a lot of times, and without a good sense of WHY they ended. That's a polish point.

In the end he's not satisfied I think because this is not an indie game anymore. He's right that it's mentality is different. I don't crave utterly hardcore realism, or even realism exaggerated for the sake of being realistic. That's just as much a gimmick as anything else. TWI wanted to make a mainstream game, their way. They wanted the graphics. They wanted the SP offering. They wanted it to be fluid, to have systems, to be mechanical. And yet I think they did it wholly on their terms, and the things people decry as simplifying it for the sake of the mainstream is more in balance than it is in core ideals.

I wouldn't give RO2 the absolute highest marks. Its release was far too rocky for that. But to me it's a game that IS doing its own thing and like the review ultimately says right at the top:

The combat is fierce. The avatar weapons are very well done, it feels authentic. Cover and mantling is very good. The maps are detailed, and offer plenty of dramatic play. The fundamental offering of WW2 combat is met, which gives HOW hope for the future.
So really, wtf is he complaining about, except that general malaise EVERY GAMER has to deal with as they watch things progress, times and developers change and so do their views on what kind of game they should make.

He sees a future, even if he gave it a 4/10. I wish everyone else would stop living in the past too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
7, turn 8 in 4 days :p

With a super awesome name like WoLvErInE that doesn't surprise me.
Oh look you even have your system specs on display so everyone can marvel at how incredibly amazing you are.

I think 7 years old is even pushing it for you, mate.

Upvote 0
I think RO2 is a classic case of "You can lead a horse to water..." The modern gamer doesn't seem to want depth and intelligence in his games anymore, it's all about the five-minute-wonder of whizzy lights and loud bangs. And then dump it on the shelf after a week of frenetic burn-out play and scream to mommy for the sequel.

Neko ni shinju. PC gamers, or at least today's excuse for what passes as PC gamers, don't deserve developers like TWI.

Upvote 0
I think RO2 is a classic case of "You can lead a horse to water..." The modern gamer doesn't seem to want depth and intelligence in his games anymore, it's all about the five-minute-wonder of whizzy lights and loud bangs. And then dump it on the shelf after a week of frenetic burn-out play and scream to mommy for the sequel.

And the hardcore realism crowd makes zero concessions to anything other than what they want. Say what you will about everyone else, at least they're willing to try different things and possibly even like them all for different reasons.

I hate to say this, but if TWI were a debate about the national debt....I think I know who the Tea Party would be.

Upvote 0
This speaks the truth. I was expecting more realism not less. Instead we got something we can play on an XBOX, that totally broke immersion. Read the review. If the game is going to survive it needs to pick a side. It could of been innovative with standardizing realism, but someone got totally stoned one day and said that they should add magical maps and unicorns. In a month if TW is smart they'll release a 6gb patch removing all the magic crap and putting in things that make sense.

If you need me, I'll be by the command Bunker.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.