• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Worst map balancing I've seen in my life !

Goten

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
(Yeah it's big ... so is my deception atm)

When I played it in beta I said (referring to the map balancing): "hmm ... not very good, but they will improve it over time". I wasn't even thinking that the balancing will only get worst.

This is the game with the worst balancing I've played in my entire life ! ... and I'm playing multiplayer FPSs since Quake 1.

The initial beta balancing was somewhat mediocre, but there are plenty of games who had this problem in beta/early release state. What separates this game from others (in a bad way) are:

1. the patches that followed "succeded" in screwing it even worst, making the balanced map imbalanced and the imbalanced maps even more imbalanced

2. biased improvements. I have yet to see an improvement for the axis team ! ALL the modifications were made in favor of the Allies. This level of one-side attention is childish to say the least.
Some quotes from The Grand Patch Notes thread:
*** 19 Sep patch ***
Pavlov's House
-Added wall to block line of sight to one of the Allied tank spawns
-Allies now correctly get a forward spawn when capturing Zab's House
-German spawn protection was toned down to prevent Allied attackers in inside of the Voyentorg from being killed by spawn protection when objectives changed hands
Commissar's House
-Gave Allies 40 more reinforcements
-Default Allied spawn in more directly in line with Building 81
-Moved one of the initial Axis spawns back further from the Water Refinery
-Increased spawn protection and no artillery volumes for Allies
-Various cover fixes

*** 21 Nov patch ***
(Red October)
-Satchel objectives can now be 'captured' by destroying the target
Apartments

-Added additional allied spawn after capturing the first set of objectives
Grain Elevator

-Added a spawn for the Allies that is on the 4th floor. This for when the allies are defending the Foothold
Spartanovka

-Fixed a issues with spawn protection incorrectly showing up when one of the objectives was captured in the 16 player version. Also fixed an Allied spawn not working correctly on the 16 player version.

I politely invite a russian fan-boy to search The Grand Patch Notes thread or if it's not there to just indicate to me ONE or TWO balancing improvements in favor of the Axis that were done since this game was launched !

This was not all from the 21 Nov patch. Oh no ... why stop here ?

The 3 unsaid things regarding map balancing the 21 Nov Patch introduced:

1. Around 20% more reinforcements for the Allies on Station !
First time I saw this I was like: "Yes ! After 2 months they saw that the attacking team has the same number of reinforcements as the defenders and they tried to fix it". But "dang ... they made an itsy-bitsy mistake and they gave the reinforcements to the defending team !".
It doesn't take a genius to see that if the map is not won in maximum 15 minutes (which actually translates into unbalanced teams) then Axis loses on reinforcements. 70%-80% of the balanced games (both team having equally skilled players) ends with Axis depleted and Allies winning with 40-50 reinforcements left.
If this is a bug (you gave the reinforcements to the wrong team) it's just another "let's patch the patch" thing you got us used to. If this is somekind of sick feature then it's really really pathetic. I'm even afraid of the explanation I'll get (if I will get one that is).

2. More reinforcements for Allies on Grain Elevator !
Frankly, I didn't even notice it untill today. But it's real ... on the worst map for Axis the "balancing" was done by giving the russians more reinforcements !
I don't want to get into this too far because I'm not sure how the reinforcements are calculated on this map (remember the russian deplete if they don't keep D for 1 minute).
Still .. the decision baffles me and just looks like another nail on the Axis coffin.
I was expecting some closer spawns for the germans or further for allies, something to make B and C a little more easy to cap, instead I got ... this.

3. Lockable A (Building 81) in Commissars
I'm not going to say Commissars is favoring Allies. On the contrary: it's in favor of the Axis (this and Gumrak - thanks to the superior Panzer are the only ones who favor Axis atm).
What I'm going to say though is that Objective A is captured just by running there. The initial spawn is bad: as Axis you have 12-14 seconds to get there and that is the same time Allies have. What happened to "on the initial spawn the defending team must be closer to the objective" ? It's stupid to make me defend something that is captured by the time I get to it !
YES, MAKE BUILDING 81 LOCKABLE, BUT MOVE THE INITIAL AXIS SPAWN CLOSER (I suggest the wall where objective C starts - that's just 10-20 meters closer than what Axis have now) ... give me a chance to fight for the damn building.

And something else regarding this map: you've done everything to balance it, from arty protection to giving russians a gazillion reinforcements to (now) making A lockable and it's still screwed. Allow me to give you a hint: russians get raped at spawn !

So after these great balancing decision you can divide the maps into:
- balanced: Fallen Fighters
- imbalanced in favor of the germans: Gumrak (thanks to PIV), Commissars (thanks to many things)
- slightly* imbalanced in favor of the Allies (thanks to PPSH): Apartments, Barracks
- slightly* imbalanced in favor of the Allies (thanks to 10 minutes cooldown on Axis artillery): Red October
- imbalanced in favor of the Allies: Grain Elevator (reinforcements, spawn distances, spawn rape), Pavlov's (reinforcements, spawn distances and difficulty to get to the objectives, different type of cap zones, "the tunnel"), Station (reinforcements, spawn rape), Spartanovka (same reinforcements, same arty cooldown timers for both teams, difficulty to take the last cap zone, other small things).

* slightly means 5-10%, no big deal.

To paraphrase someone, I'm one of the 0,0001% who still plays this game, but with decisions like that I think you'll soon add another 0 in that number.

There are no axis improvements because axis really don't need any improvements on any map.

Basically.

The ruskies are operating with inferior equipment on quite a few fronts (especially considering that the few weapons that give them a leg-up have been nerfed for unlock reasons) and received the short end of the stick on quite a few of the maps. German steamrolls have been all too common in my experience.

Upvote 0
Sounds to me like a German only player is mad that they cant win every map with ease like at one time.Most maps are fairly balanced with exception of Commissars for the Germans and Grain for the Russians.Even comparing the two Commissars is much harder for the Russians NO map does the Germans have to take 3-4 objectives in the same lockdown timer.

The problem is two fold and besides these two maps I mention has nothing to do with map balance.

1.The Russian side is getting more experienced players that fight for the objectives.When before they was getting many noobs not even knowing what a cap zone is.

2.The Germans actually have to defend/attack objectives now and can't run and gun rambo style to win matches ignoring capzones like before playing against noobs.

As for perfectly balanced maps im glad RO doesn't have these that's for mainstream arcade games.Not tactical realism games I will (usually) play w/e side is deemed a hard map for that side.Atm I play Germans on about 2 maps Falling Fighters and Grain Elevator.With another 2 maps pretty much equal Barracks and Spart which I will play w/e side I feel like at the time. (I never get to play Gunmark so I didn't count it)

From what I have seen besides the 2 maps I mentioned it could pretty much go either way depending on which team plays better.The only difference I see is the Germans no longer get long strings of easy wins like they did when the game first released.

Play both sides for a less biased view of balance I pretty much ignore fan boys opinions from both sides for they are just that...biased.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I am one of those people who plays Germans the majority of the time (for many reasons). I haven't been too upset by the map balance changes (Germans were outnumbered historically by the Soviets most of the time). I do find it odd that when Germany is the attacking force, like on Station or Grain elevator, that the defending force has more reinforcements than the attackers. This runs against conventional tactical wisdom since the attacking force would have access to more men (unless they were led by clowns). The arguments about how the PPSH throws off map balance are moot, IMHO, since I usually use the KAR98 or G41 and generally hold my own quite nicely against the PPSH-toting red hordes on any map.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Reactions: Goten
Upvote 0
Yes, keep telling me more about historic accuracy ...

Historic accuracy is fine, but not if it affects gameplay. This is a game not some historical simulation. It was advertised as a game, I bought it like a game. Games are supposed to be fun and fun means balancing. Those maps are not balanced ! It's as simple as that !

Germans steam roll, germans keep winning ... Sometimes, but that's not because the maps are balanced, it's beacause of the teams.

And yes I play Axis most of the time, I don't have to appologies for it.

Upvote 0
My post mysteriously disappeared, but if you play Axis most of the time, I don't think it's fair to say that Germans are being nerfed.
I only played pub and total of around 80 hours and only as Axis as bolt action 100% of the time.
To me, the entire game is against me. But that's just my perspective.

About the reinforcement and historical accuracy, I was being sarcastic

Upvote 0
Yes, keep telling me more about historic accuracy ...

Historic accuracy is fine, but not if it affects gameplay. This is a game not some historical simulation. It was advertised as a game, I bought it like a game. Games are supposed to be fun and fun means balancing. Those maps are not balanced ! It's as simple as that !

Germans steam roll, germans keep winning ... Sometimes, but that's not because the maps are balanced, it's beacause of the teams.

And yes I play Axis most of the time, I don't have to appologies for it.

You have the right to you opinion and side that's fine I have np with that.

Mine is that I like that not ever map is balanced one map may be hard but then the other will be easier... its called a challenge.The defensive side should have a easier time its not just historical accuracy its plain fact.True tactical shooters should have this if not they just another mindless death match game.

Did you think it was balanced in beta or just after release when Germans was winning 90% of the time ? I just don't remember you complaining then ;).

For the most part its a happy medium from what it was in beta in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Here we go ...

Shut up, don't you be that guy.
Seriously, who in their right minds wants BALANCE in a Red Orchestra game?

I want hardcore, balls-to-the-walls realism that can truly give me what I call the RO Effect (sometimes called Darkest Hour Syndrome due to the comparison to the Normandy landing scene in Saving Private Ryan where the Americans get slaugthered on the beach by the Germans).

Keep in mind that most of the Soviet soldiers where farmers with no tranning and where literally trown into the war with a rifle, a few clips, and a bayonet.
Most of their equipmente was made in crappy factories in the Urals and central Russia by people with the same technical knowledge as most of the soldiers referenced above.
The Germans whoever where the complete opposite with good tranning and equipment.

What we need is MORE Avtomathics (Soviet Assault Troopers).
Having the same number of slots for Assaults on both teams is pants-on-head retarded. There where about 6 times more PPSh's in Stalingrad than MP40's.

Upvote 0
I think your opinion might be a bit biased. When I bought the game, all I played was Allies, I thought it might be a bit more challenging, it was. It was really rough for them on most servers, and sometimes we kicked the Axis around a little but they just were superior. My friend recently bought this game and I started playing Axis with him, I guess it was a bit easier, defending is a lot easier most of the times.

Upvote 0
Did you think it was balanced in beta or just after release when Germans was winning 90% of the time ? I just don't remember you complaining then ;).
I haven't complained then because:
1. things were not that screwed
2. I thought they will fix the problems with time, not aggravate them.
(3). Stop telling me "german won", "russian won", please discuss the maps not what happened to you, me or your friend when you play the game. I saw Commissars won in 7 minutes by the russians, that doesn't mean it's a balanced map.

Lot of people want imbalance ... lot of people complained and they still do about Commissars. On Commissars imbalance is bad, on Station, GE and the others it's "historicaly adequate".

I DON'T WANT IMBALANCE. I don't play a game to see if I lose in 10 minutes or 12. I want balanced maps and the outcome of a game to be determined by the skill of the players not by "historicaly" stuff.
Let's play TE-Thermopylae ... who wants to be the Spartans (waiting for the bright ones to say "me me") ? Playing just so you can lose it's idiotic, if you like it make yourself a custom map and enjoy !

There is another aspect: some of you mistake the balancing with what I call the asynchronous maps. An asynchronous map imo is a map on which a team has more/less people or different classes, armament etc. E.g: one team has 3 tanks, the other doesn't have any tanks. In this case you have to compensate somehow (for the sake of BALANCING) and you give more people and a decent number of anti-tank weapons to the team with no tanks.
But this is another discussion because all the current maps in this game are synchronous, meaning that both sides get the same number of players and the same amount of classes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0