• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Post your very first impressions!

So far my main problem with the game is that the cover system is a complete mess. Trying to just completely ignore it exists so that I can actually enjoy the game. SMGs are much more accurate compared to the gameplay previews. That isn't a good thing. Overall, besides the crashes, it is only really mediocre so far. I am hoping that it gets better after a day or two of being out.

Upvote 0
Other than crashing on the server browser frequently, absolutely fantastic. A lot of my concerns were thrown out the window after playing a couple of rounds, but then again I am just excited to be able to finally play it.

@Graphic: I may FRAPS a video of the DP-28 because it is so damn fun to use compared to Ostfront, setting up/reloading is just a hell of a lot easier. You can crouch while set up if you feel unsafe, which is awesome.

Upvote 0
@Graphic: I may FRAPS a video of the DP-28 because it is so damn fun to use compared to Ostfront, setting up/reloading is just a hell of a lot easier. You can crouch while set up if you feel unsafe, which is awesome.

Awesome can't wait. Post it in the video thread if you do it.

All the footage from the closed beta is like 70% MP40s, 20% G41s, and then the rest split between Kars, MG-34s and a couple fragments of Russian rifles. I haven't seen the DP-28 once! What's a Russophile supposed to do!?

Upvote 0
The main difference is that people like morons walk right in the centre of the map. Actually that makes the play advance quickly.

After a while people learn that walking out in the open with 1 shot kill is very dangerous. That is what changes. It remains a game taking down an enemy from a safe location is advantageous which is what will change things in the end.

But as always player amounts matter and maps. Danzig has always been pretty fast for instance. And countdown with high player amounts, well if you don't know what to do expect it to go over quickly.

I know I played countdown today like Rambo and got 40 kills in defending one objective and capping one objective. Believe me if any players play for a little while they wouldn't allow me to. There is a lot more cover and places to hide in RO2, and people will start using it combined the fov zoom will generally make people play more cautious if they want to get the most kills.
There are high damage/first-hit decisive 'Hard Core' game modes for all the COD and MW games, which hasn't made any of those games play even remotely more realistically...

While the kind of game-play that prevails can be determined to a limited extent by server Admins in terms of their intended audience; there's every indication the Action Realism/COD audience are not only the target audience for RO2 but that those marketing intentions are succeeding -- and they will compose most of RO2's server Admins.

These are not a value judgments, just observations: very finite map size, fast player movement speed and metrics like virtually infinite turning speed -- all conspire to more twitch like Action Realism/COD play... While there may be servers with less 'relaxed' and more realistic settings, it's quite a stretch to feature RO2 is going to be a game serious TR Fans even play casually for long...

This is a trend that's been apparent from the UT mod to RO retail, seen in progress in the mentality of the expression on these forums, and is even in evidence in Developer statements and sentiment... Soon enough we'll know for a fact...

:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like what I have seen, are their issues yes. It will CTD at times. And the lag in the server browser is annoying.

But their is an option to filter, so you can only have realism servers appear. I tried one, died a lot. But it was fun. Though I will honestly say I will be more of a FF player, but I liked all the modes relaxed realism or not.

Upvote 0
Love it. Tanking is less of a pong tournament. I had a score of about 56/5 on freedom fighters in my P4. My driver got shot by a PTRS at close range, tracked, engine dead, commander dead...but still ran out of ammo killing troops/tanks. I was stranded in the middle of it all and survived until I had to scuttle. EPIC.

Some complaints, which is more of a preference, is I don't like count down. Rounds go by too fast and teams start off way too close. Haftladungs are...throwable exploding grenades? Super bummed about that. I was hoping you'd have to run to a tank and attach it. Hope that gets fixed later.

The maps seem pretty cool, but even on a full 64 player server...there wasn't much room to move around in (apartments). So you'd see massive amounts of troops (awesoooome) standing side by side behind a single wall of sandbags, slugging it out with the enemy...doing the same thing :/

The g41 seems to have a reload bug. I've fired all 10 rounds, and on all occasions of reload, my avatar only loads a 5 round stripper clip.
Also the server browser makes my computer s*** bricks until it's all done downloading (assuming it doesn't crash before that).

All in all though, reallllly digging it (the sounds ugh nom nom nom!)

Upvote 0
I got the same feeling as when I started playing Infiltration back in 2001 or so. I die almost instantly trying to do my part, but the immensiveness of the game makes it almost impossible to quit.

I have yet to see if it tops Infiltration as best game I ever played, but first game that I feel worth considering to the title.

Upvote 0