• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[WIP] Colt Python (Shh, no one tell the gunslinger crowd)

Pic related to my reaction.

Spoiler!

I love it, can't wait to play it! :D

EDIT: i see that hateful loser is still hating. shame on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gartley and J.D.*
Upvote 0
Awesome work, looks very tasty :)

Balance wise it kind of depends where you want it really.

If it is a Sharpshooter weapon then factors I would take into account are: -
- 6 rounds in the clip* (obviously)
- a M32 like reload (only slightly quicker, perhaps the speed of the pumpy)
- Good body shot damage (to further seperate it from the HC)
- Respectable headshot damage bonus too (Overall damage should be a bit higher than the HC to compensate the long reload)
- Overall ammo should probably be the same as the HC
- The weight should be about 4. Thats still believable :)

*single loaded, it doesn't use a mag, nor a clip! Candlejack! I choose you!

Upvote 0
as to reload, i would recommend bullet by bullet, no speed loader.

This ^ Powerful gun and all. And personally, I vote for no scope. Makes it easier on Gartley if he didn't make it, I imagine. There'd be a lot of things that will need doing if a scope was to be included. Also, the colours of the gun make me a happy, excited, bouncy little... thing. :IS2:

Upvote 0
I was orginanally going for the single round at a time reload. I had two problems with this.
1) One hell of a long reload ainmtion that might have been uninterruptable.
--If the animation shook loose the cartidges and you were doing it one by one. (Issue of magic rounds bullets appearing in the chamber when in other animations)
--And the coding side.
2) Doing the animation was a lot of hard work. I don't want to make it sound like some cop out but this is the first 3D animtion work I've ever done. So I went for a more simple reload aproach, that of the speedloader.

I did try the single round at a time aproach. But then revised it for the above reasons. I will however, go back at revise this if I can work out the right way of doing it.

As for the scope, if someone can work out the coding aspect for me. I'll certainly model a scoped version for it sometime in the future as an alternative. I'd rather it was like a second fire mode. So if someone else can code it, I'm willing to impliment it. (not right away mind)

EDIT On second thoughts, I will only consider the scope for this model if someone can show me a 'nice/good/smexy' revolver with a scope. I just googled and they all look ugly as sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it's really a matter of opinion whether or not they look good, although the ones that show up on google images do look pretty crap, but i have taken the liberty of slightly editing one,

as you can see i have moved the scope forward so that it lines up with the end of the barrel, while this is impractical i think it looks nice and sexy, i also removed the piece of **** sticking out above the scope, while you may think it still looks ****, there are some people who think that scoped revolvers are sexy beasts, like me.

Attachments

• Python-silhouette.jpg
    Python-silhouette.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
  • just a little more sexy.jpg
    just a little more sexy.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: _Duke_
Upvote 0
I'm sorry to say this guys but you should all be ashamed of yourselves for derailing this thread into something that wasn't intended and steamrolling Gartley into feeling obliged to make something, that he didn't intend on making in the first place.

If you want a scoped version, can't you at least wait until the poor guy makes what HE wanted and then either pm him and ask him or someone else mod the weapon with a scope?

Gartley please do not let them pressure you into making something you don't feel comfortable doing!
This is your first weapon and everyone should respect that and appreciate exactly how hard and time consuming it is to make these things!

Upvote 0
Thanks BD but it's OK, I'm glad people are excited about this project enough to put forwards their ideas suggestions. (Heh, If I didn't want any comments I wouldn't have put it online) I'm sure they uderstand that I'm not going to stop and revise everything at this point.

At least the better understand that. :IS2:

I've also stated what I want from the mod community if peeps are interested in a scoped version. I will admit, the scope 'shopped onto my model doesn't look half bad.

Upvote 0
sorry people and Gartley if I sounded a little harsh there :eek: I am just as excited about this project as anyone and really am looking forward to a release.

I personally don't think a scope would fit this particular model of 357, plus I know from experience how much of a pain in the *** it is to implement, especially for your first time out.

I agree that the loading should be one at a time though, as if you did that, you could keep the power. A 357 is a very powerful handgun and it would be such a shame to see it reduced to 9mm status for the sake of balancing.

However having a longer reload time would even it out and make sure people savour each bullet, knowing how much power could be delivered from each shot.

Animation tip.........

Have a look at the reload on the shotgun and you will see that you can swap the link of the hand from the weapon to the shell.
This will make the reloading bullet by bullet a lot easier as you only have to animate the bullet and the hand will follow.

Also, you could make it like the hunting shotgun and not allow reloading untill all of the bullets have been expended. This will allow you to have just one animation for reload.

Upvote 0
Colt Python .375 - Should be released soon...

ColtPythonV2.gif

Now working online.
2011-05-12_00001.jpg

Video of us playing with it. New animations etc.

YouTube - Colt For Killing Floor In Game

(Music from iTunes out did itself, didn't even realised I had recorded that as well. Might explain my playing..)

Current known issues:

-Grossly overpowered (this was done just for a giggle factor) *Balancing issues*
-Animations could do with some more tweeking
-3rd Person Animations need refinining.
-Gui Textures need improving
-Muzzle flash Emitter seems to jump around for both 1st and 3rd person views.
-Foley work needs completing.

A little closer to time I'll open my server to peeps who want to help me try and sort it out. Just let me know.

Upvote 0
Nice, good addition to our servers.

And yes, people tend to get excited when seeing new guns formed. My advise...ignore them to a certain extent. If you think a scope is a good idea then go for it. Tbh..I reaaaallly hate to see this model beeing raped by a scope. It would make me feel less like dirty harry...and that is defo a crime. So the question is...do you feel lucky? Punk? (srry had to do it... lol)

You create mods because you like the work you put into them, and its fun to do. If your doing it for other people it tends to get less interesting. (besides the fact that modders help each other once in a while...which can be very rewarding too)

A community that screams bloody murder cous they want a scope on a gun your working on can be very demoralising...specially since your doing it for them. Pitching ideas is fine....forcing them on a modder isnt. Be mindfull of your comments and remember...were doing this in our free time, and trying to make the game a little more interesting.

Believe me, you dont want a closed community that keeps all the mutators for their own servers.(which tends to happen allot)

Regarding the gun...its awsome sauce. I cant wait to try this baby out! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the support Hemi. And don't apologise about the Dirty Harry line, it's in the gun description. XD Shame you don't see any descriptions in the trader menu.

A scoped pistol never looks right imo. Even other types of sights like hologram and spots etc don't look right.

A really nice scoped weapon is BrainDead's Hunting Rifle. (Go try it. =P )

Upvote 0