• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hunting shotgun

they do make hunting shotguns with short barrels like that, and again why couldn't chokes be an option. those who don't know about chokes look here [url]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MediaPages/ArticleDetail.aspx?mediaid=20[/URL] . Maybe have a configuration menu for the shotguns asking, what choke do you want eg: extra full ( tight spread), full(tight spread), improvised modified ( less tight than full), modified( medium) or none (widest). I'm sorry if you people will not be able to agree with me, but it just seems suprisingly simple and realistic.

Upvote 0
they do make hunting shotguns with short barrels like that, and again why couldn't chokes be an option. those who don't know about chokes look here [url]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MediaPages/ArticleDetail.aspx?mediaid=20[/URL] . Maybe have a configuration menu for the shotguns asking, what choke do you want eg: extra full ( tight spread), full(tight spread), improvised modified ( less tight than full), modified( medium) or none (widest). I'm sorry if you people will not be able to agree with me, but it just seems suprisingly simple and realistic.

Well, a choke would be handy, but I am not sure how it could be implemented. With weapon attachments it might be possible but this might take quite a bit of coding. And sometimes when I arrive to the trader after I respawn after an unlucky round I have 10 seconds to buy myself guns. I don't want to have my trader ask "Would you like your shothun in pink or purple? Purple is in fashion right now. Do you want it gift-wrapped?"... I just want a "Big Sodding Gun! NOW!" Personally I think the Hunting Shotgun model should be replaced with a Sawed-off shotgun and renamed accordingly to reflect it's massive pellet spread and just design a new hunting shotgun. :p

I don't think too much realism would do this game any good, though, so I am generally okay with the current Hunting shotgun. It has an impressive total damage, and if the spread was smaller, with pellet penetration bonus of the support it would be totally overkill against pretty much everything you come across.

Upvote 0
I usually opt not to whine about particulars with good games like KF, but I have one suggestion.

The hunting shotgun would be alot more enjoyable to use, or even useful at all, if its spread were not so absurdly wide. I realize that HS does loads of damage, but still it's worthless, and frustrating, if you can't ever hit anything. On more than one occasion I've double-barreled crawlers from ~4 meters without hitting them. As it is, HS is effectively a meelee-only weapon. I use it for three things: double-barreling scrakes at zero range, double-barrelling fleshpounds at zero range, and double-barreling patty at zero range.

I, and probably many other Support Players, would like it alot better if the spread were lust a bit smaller, even for just a few extra meters of range, while the damage were reduced to compensate.

The disadvantages of HS are already its price, its weight, and its suspenseful reload time. It's not nearly a viable option against pump shotty considering its useless range.

Cheers,
-Joker

Wow apparently you know nothing about guns. The Hunting Shotgun is based on a Sawed-Off shotgun, so with a shorter barrel, it is less accurate, but it also does more damage than the regular shotgun,(which has an unreal spread) and shoots without having to cock the shell which compensates for its wide spread.

-The Hunting Shotgun should stay the way it is. It saved my life more than the Combat Shotgun.
-Quit your complaining for shotguns are the most OP weapon right now...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i know right. cuz what it sounds like you guys are asking for is to make the hunting shotgun more like the normal shotgun but keep the dmg. am i the only one who finds that retarded?

Retarded? No. Gamebreaking and completely out of the question? Definitely.

I agree that the spread is a BIT excessive beyond point-blank range...however, the only way to really counterbalance this would be to have it keep the high damage at VERY CLOSE ranges, but have the damage 'bleed off' exponentially:

-Point Blank: Crazy damage
-Short range (5m or less): High damage (Higher than shotgun)
-Mid-range (5-10m): Low damage (Less than shotgun)
-Long range (10m+): Damage is a joke. So low it barely matters.

IMO, it'd be more realistic than the crazy spread and not affect the balance that much. As it is, the Hunting Shotgun is more about luck (IE: One time all pellets may hit a Skrake's head, the next time, all but 2 may miss!) than skillful aiming or timing! A few pellets getting lucky can kill a Gorefast halfway across the level! By all realistic means, pellets at that range shouldn't be hitting as hard as ones shot at point-blank...

Upvote 0
Something has to be done. The first time I got the hunting shotgun, I was thinking "OH YEAH! FIREPOWER!" When I fired my first shot at a Gorefast from about 4m away (Prime shotgun ownage area!), a measly TWO pellets hit the Gorefast, the rest flying off at 60-degree angles in all directions! So I fired again...same thing. And as I was reloading, the Gorefast whacked me in the head. So I was soured against this gun from the start...and my later results haven't been much better...

The poor Hunting shotgun has a lot of disadvantages:
-Expensive
-Expensive ammo
-Long reload/No reload after 1 shot
-HORRIBLE spread!
-Heavy weight

And yet it has two advantages that make it VERY useful in Hard and up:
-Big damage!
-Insane damage at point-blank range (On Hard, everything gets in your face in no time, so this is a HUGE bonus)

IMO, though, the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages... You can blast it at a group and hit all of the group that's spread out for moderate damage due to the spread, which is good, but unlike the Shotgun/Crossbow, line-shooting is almost out of the question. Even if you shoot the first critter in a 'line' at point-blank, he'll take full damage, but the ones behind him will likely only take one or two pellets, as the insane spread goes into effect...

Bottom line: This poor gun needs a boost to really be worth it's cost...right now, it's basically a 'second shotgun' that takes some of the ammo burden off of the REAL shotgun...

Upvote 0
Its pretty clear the gun works best at near point blank against single but tough mobs.. And for that purpose it is entirely perfect.

Different guns for different jobs. You cant take both and have the best of both worlds anyway so i fail to see why this gun is so poor that support need yet another boost.

A sawn off shotgun with tight spread and penetration just doesnt fit. Its over kill, its not needed. Why have two shotguns that do the same thing in the same way ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you guys not see the relation between the normal shotgun and hunting?

Normal: Long barrel with single shell = less damage and more accuracy at farther ranges.

Hunting Shotgun: Sawed off barrel with two shells = more damage, less accuracy, but more mobility at close ranges.

Support, who the shotguns are almost exclusive to, can carry BOTH shotguns. Stop whining and learn to use different weapon for different occasions.

And why the hell are you trying to kill a crawler with a hunting shotgun? Waste of EXPENSIVE ammo...

I can list a couple reasons for you:

- You got no ammo left for the 9mm/handcannon.
- You're at low health. You don't have time to switch to your 9mm/handcannon (or you're just trying to save a teammate).

Maybe you should be more careful with your ammo or stick with your teammates more often. A good team doesn't really have to worry about low ammo if they're all working together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks so much to all those who've called me whiny/retarded/ignorant.

Support does not need to be more powerful. ****, nerf it for all I care. I'd just like more weapons variety than constanly lining up zeds to blow down with the single shotty.

The HS offers its own interesting challenge what with the slow reload time and the smaller range, but as it is the range is so bad that I always find myself choosing the single shotty because the HS isn't even a way to challenge myself, it's a way to waste money, and health, and time, and movement speed...

-Joker

Upvote 0
Retarded? No. Gamebreaking and completely out of the question? Definitely.

I agree that the spread is a BIT excessive beyond point-blank range...however, the only way to really counterbalance this would be to have it keep the high damage at VERY CLOSE ranges, but have the damage 'bleed off' exponentially:

-Point Blank: Crazy damage
-Short range (5m or less): High damage (Higher than shotgun)
-Mid-range (5-10m): Low damage (Less than shotgun)
-Long range (10m+): Damage is a joke. So low it barely matters.

10 meters?...
You cannot be serious.

Upvote 0
Sarcasm.. have to love it from morons.

Quote from a PROFESSIONAL: "I would agree that a small amount of shot may make it to 300 yards, a very small amount. Depending on the choke you are using I would say the maximum lethal limit is 40-50 yards.".

In other words, the '10' meter theory is preposterous to think it could only kill from that short range.

Upvote 0
I have level 5 Support (among with Berserker) and I can say it's powerful enough. It's the most powerful class. Being able to carry the two shotties + dual handcannons + 10 grenades with destructive power and sniper rifle'esque penetration... Seriously guys, you're complaining about the HS while Commandos only have the lousy Bullup.

Upvote 0