• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why automatic weapons suck in RO2 (Especially PPSH41)

I will admit the 2nd and 3rd round recoil is very hard to control, people say you need to pull down, but it's such a quick jump up and the rate of fire is so fast. I'd say the PPSH as it is now is good up to about 50 meters, it really owns close action though and takes people down quick. I got 5 kills on one clip sneaking up on some axis yesterday.

It's certainly powerful but less so than the MP40 over 50 meters. I still don't consider the MP40 to be a sniper rifle either, the sights are hard to use, over 150 meters it's pretty difficult to kill somebody who is prone.

that 2nd round is just so damn hard to keep on target, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to compensate for the recoil, you really need to pull it down sharply and quickly to be in line for the next automatic round. I wish I could put it in semi auto as well because I always lose my target when I'm tracking something at range.

Upvote 0
I agree with the OP. Way too much recoil! That's why I mainly play germans.

MP-40 is very good at full auto CQB and mediu-long range single shot. MP-40 Is like a precise tool, that is a very good all around, best gun in the game after MKB (In my opinion).

Russian PPSH on the other hand is impossible to fire in single shot with the bullet actually going where the gun is pointed. It seems only 3rd-5th bullet actually fly at where the post is aiming. And the recoil takes it up up up right into the sky! Even with compensation!

Also it does not seem to do a lot of damage, I fired point blank at an enemy charging with bayonets and nothing happened except me getting skewered and they bandage up and ran away!

Personally could rareley win a slugfest against MP-40 (Much more accurate) or semi auto rifle and MKB (Much more powerful)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stop posting 3rd person Youtube videos, it's not at all apparent watching someone externally what's going on in their sight picture. The PPSh41 is perfectly controllable. Here is a video of me shooting a Gewehr 98, it appears that i'm holding it perfectly steady right? Well from my pov looking down the sights there was actually a lot of movement in the kneeling position with the heavy bayonet on, I only hit the 3 rather than the central 5. But looking at it you wouldn't think so.
Look at the videos I posted and measure the angle of the vertical kick with a ruler. Then compare to what happens ingame. The PPSH41 kicks even on a "forced down" mouse many more degrees than in any of the videos.

Again I restate, PPSH41 recoil is completely overstated.
Also apply some logic:

PPSH41
Weight 3.63 kg (8.0 lb)(without magazine)
Energy generated by bullet: 390 J (290 ft

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will admit the 2nd and 3rd round recoil is very hard to control, people say you need to pull down, but it's such a quick jump up and the rate of fire is so fast. I'd say the PPSH as it is now is good up to about 50 meters, it really owns close action though and takes people down quick. I got 5 kills on one clip sneaking up on some axis yesterday.
It is still too much. It requires a huge amount of work to hit something on 50m. Because you have to tap the fire to get a small burst and wrestle the mouse as if the gun was a crocodile you want to wrestle.
It should be effortless. An average PPSH41 user should comfortably own non SMG guys on less than 50m. Right now it takes huge effort to do that. While the most average bolt action user can basically kill anything he can see up to how far the map draw distance is.

Upvote 0
It is still too much. It requires a huge amount of work to hit something on 50m. Because you have to tap the fire to get a small burst and wrestle the mouse as if the gun was a crocodile you want to wrestle.
It should be effortless. An average PPSH41 user should comfortably own non SMG guys on less than 50m. Right now it takes huge effort to do that. While the most average bolt action user can basically kill anything he can see up to how far the map draw distance is.

I can manage 50m ok, but then again, I use on-the-fly adjustable mouse sensitivity coupled with a hold button to reduce to speed to 25% of the current setting to help me get a bead on my target before letting rip. Because of this, I haven't really had many complaints.

Upvote 0
"but this video shows..." F- your video. The TWI team actually consulted with WEAPONS EXPERTS. People who spent years firing all types of weapons. Not some internet warrior who posts any video he sees and calls it truth.
You owned yoor own point here. Whichever weapon expert considered the current ingame recoil for a PPSH41 realistic sucks at his job.
And also, firing a gun is not rocket science. Look at any number of different videos on the net of people firing a PPSH41. Old men, very young skinny men. They all can squeeze off large bursts without that monster kick.

TWI clearly tried too hard to prevent a COD full auto hip firing playstyle. Which tragically backfired. Because Accurate hip firing is actually more realistic than what happens in RO2. And that leads us to the hilarious fact that COD Black Ops is a more realistic representation of full automatic burst fire on combat distances smaller than 20m.

Upvote 0
Related to this, I would like to ask:
What is the use of the AVT? Full-auto is useless because of excessive recoil. It is just like an SVT only that I have to switch to manual fire before using it.

TWI should really reconsider the recoil of automatic weapons, because all of them, especially the russian ones suffer from this. Just look at the tactical realism of it, especially the real effective range of these weapons in RO2 compared what they are supposed to be.

Upvote 0
It is one thing to blame the shooter, and another to blame the weapon. Using a bold action rifle, I can quickly one-shot people anywhere between 10 and 300 meters. It doesn't matter if they are standing, moving, prone, or hidden by shadow. If it moves and its not the same color as my teammates, it gets a bullet through its head.

At the same time I still think the PPSH is utter crap.

I'm trying to shoot a German who is running away from me, he's about 15 meters away. I aim down the sights and center them on his torso, then I shoot a short 3-5 round burst. The first bullet disappears in thin air. The second bullet goes somewhere off to the side, and the rest lodge themselves in the ceiling somewhere above that guy's head. The German hears the noise and proceeds to nut shot me with his bolt action.

Within 10 meters, the PPSH is pretty deadly. But at that range, I might as well use the bayonet.

Upvote 0