• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Some thoughts about having more fun at orel.

Either u love or u hate orel...

I love it, however it can be extremly annoying if there is no communication or any kind of teamwork on this huuuuge map....if not its mostly drive 5-10 minutes, have a kill, get killed, respawn and drive 5-10 minutes.

However, that must not be, provided those who like the map and play it often observe some simple rules that can greatly enhance the fun.

The keywords are numerical superiority and patience.

So lets say the 2nd round has just started, everyone can join the fun right from the beginning. Great thing! Now there are basically two options:

1st: Grab a tank and drive! Maybe hang yourself on a tank thats very near, two tanks better than one, eh? All in all it will sooner or later lead to a stage, where very small tankgroups are scattered all over the map. It goes worse if the first casualities have taken their toll. So respawn, ah a tank, 5 others also waiting, Yeah, i got it and there you go! The others will sooner or later get a tank...
So off you are and have a look at the map. U see an objective is being lost and drive at full throttle to get into action. U arrive and suddenly realise that there are 3 enemy tanks capturing said flag and a second later ure dead. Spawn, get a tank and so on.....

2nd:Grab a tank and drive! As soon as youre in the tank use your mic and say like "Im going for eastfield, whoever can or wants, join up, any help appreciated". If the last round was an utter failure encourage your team if ure in the mood, show them that at least for this round ure not a bored afterwork-player, sitting in his chair without really caring, but that ure eager to win with the help of your team like "C

>TDP< Whopper said:
Either u love or u hate orel...

I love it, however it can be extremly annoying if there is no communication or any kind of teamwork on this huuuuge map....if not its mostly drive 5-10 minutes, have a kill, get killed, respawn and drive 5-10 minutes.

However, that must not be, provided those who like the map and play it often observe some simple rules that can greatly enhance the fun.

The keywords are numerical superiority and patience.

So lets say the 2nd round has just started, everyone can join the fun right from the beginning. Great thing! Now there are basically two options:

1st: Grab a tank and drive! Maybe hang yourself on a tank thats very near, two tanks better than one, eh? All in all it will sooner or later lead to a stage, where very small tankgroups are scattered all over the map. It goes worse if the first casualities have taken their toll. So respawn, ah a tank, 5 others also waiting, Yeah, i got it and there you go! The others will sooner or later get a tank...
So off you are and have a look at the map. U see an objective is being lost and drive at full throttle to get into action. U arrive and suddenly realise that there are 3 enemy tanks capturing said flag and a second later ure dead. Spawn, get a tank and so on.....

2nd:Grab a tank and drive! As soon as youre in the tank use your mic and say like "Im going for eastfield, whoever can or wants, join up, any help appreciated". If the last round was an utter failure encourage your team if ure in the mood, show them that at least for this round ure not a bored afterwork-player, sitting in his chair without really caring, but that ure eager to win with the help of your team like "C

Upvote 0
Best way to increase the fun of Orel? Fit CD players into tanks as standard. It would make those long drives much more bearable!

(somewhat offtopic but.. UT2004 had an mp3 player built in didn't it? Any way to enable that in RO?)

I just use winamp. I never play RO without mp3s in the background and it doesn't cause any noticeable degredation in performance.

Upvote 0
What do u think about it?[/quote] every time you try to hunt me in a tiger you will come off the worst :D even if i drive i can easy knock out 14 tanks :cool: if the gunner can shoot well. if you cant shoot and drive you will be waisting your time in a tiger tank you will die very quickly as it is very slow ehehe whooper you been in a tiger with me no one could kill us;)we had 2 tigers and we did fight back to back at the south lake. the tigers were [SIZE=-1] growling ;-) [/SIZE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The best experiences I've had in any game I've played have been on Orel. At the start of a round, we managed to create a 5 tank wedge heading up to Central. We probably could have achieved the same ammount of enemy kills by not taking the time to organize a line of tanks then push out the middle tank first followed by the tanks next to it, but it was probably the leetest thing ever done by anyone ever. I guess the people who are willing to play Orel are more likely to cooperate as a team than those that play the small infantry maps, but I still have trouble getting people to wait at spawn for more tank crews to show up before moving ahead as a group. Also, in the middle of a round, it can cost your team objectives while you're waiting to assemble a squad at spawn.

Upvote 0
Yes, an experienced German battle group can be almost unstoppable. When used properly the Tiger is very difficult to dislodge. This means proper use of long range shot(over 800 meters), proper angling, covering fire from supporting Mk IV Panzers, and even proper use of a withdraw combine to make the Tiger the King of battle.

The order of the day for the Germans is to hunt in groups, supporting fire, and rapid response to errors by the Soviets.

Upvote 0