• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Interesting weapon ideas

Benjamin

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
France
MG36? M40A1? P99? Boring.

All guns fire bullets (well you know what I mean), with the only difference being how much damage they do, how fast they fire, whether they are semi or fully automatic... in the end with all of them you just aim and fire.

In the beginning of KF the weapons were fairly low-tech and gave the game more of a survival feel since you had to make do with what you could get. Now they've added shinier more advanced stuff like the EBR and SCAR which have broken this mould and resulted in people just suggesting their favourite gun from MW2. :(

I want to see unique weapons that add interesting gameplay mechanics, like bear traps and trip mines. I'm sure I'm not alone on this. So what kind of weapons would I like to see?

• Bear trap: Temporarily disable the big guys, and kill weaker specimens.

• Harpoon gun: Temporarily tether specimens to a certain point or each other. Stronger enemies would break free quicker. If two enemies are tethered together the stronger one would drag the weaker one. Would be particularly useful if there was a slow, heavy specimen such as the Behemoth suggested.

• Trip mine: Place the mine on a surface (wall, floor) and then attach the end of the wire to another surface. Perhaps crawlers could automatically jump over the wire so it's not wasted on one of the weakest specimens.

• Spear: Used to penetrate multiple weaker specimens with a 'lunge' attack. Could be thrown and recovered I guess.

• Fear Grenade: Works in a similar manner to the grenade in that specimens will try to avoid it, except it doesn't explode and lasts for longer. Would be very useful for the medic, being able to throw one of these near a critical player giving them a chance to heal them.

• Attract Grenade: Opposite to above, this actually attracts specimens for a short period. Could be useful for distracting a horde giving you time to weld a door or two, or just to group them together to destroy them with some grenades or the LAW.

• Manual drawn bow: A manually drawn (perhaps compound) bow, with proper physics applied to the arrows so that they fire in an arc. Wind-up would take 1-3 seconds, with the velocity based on how far you pull the string back, and impact damage from the arrows would also be based on that. This way if you are in a panic you can quickly fire off a weaker shot or two, and in other situations you can take the time to make a real tactical shot.

Arrows themselves would have a small explosive charge attached, that detonates after 1-2 seconds, causing damage additional to the 'impact' damage. For this reason the arrows would actually attach themselves to wherever fired (specimen or wall). If attached to a specimen's head the explosive would deal critical damage.

Would be an ideal (and first) cross-perk weapon in that it would be appropriate for sharpshooter and demolitions, with perk bonuses for each. Sharpshooter would get a head shot bonus (as usual), and demolitions would get an explosives bonus. Both would benefit from this weapon, whether it be used to help take down the big guys or clear out smaller areas of weaker enemies.

• Aerosol & Lighter: Short range, low-medium ammo capacity, low price. A cheap, useful firebug weapon. Alt-fire tapes spray nozzle and lets you throw it as a grenade that burns continuously for several seconds. [1].

• Throwing Knives [1]: Throwing knives with poison smeared on them that causes damage over time. Alternately, they cause bleed damage.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: slavek and J.D.*
Tethering clots together would be fun!! have never seen that done before.

I still like the Brick idea, this is England after all, that is a national past time to us lol, just being able to carry one at a time and either used for melee and/or thrown

Broken bottle
glenfiddich molotov cocktails
motorcycle chain

I personally think the game needs more melee, CQB weapons than ranged as it does make the game a little easy, plus on the reality side, as said....this is England and we don't have guns readily available, so we use whatever we have at hand!

Upvote 0
Ive always wanted to see unique weapons in games not just KF, because personally I find it annoying how every game seems to have the same damned weapons or their variants.

Id definately love to see more uncommon weaponary but sadly thats not gonna happen unless some modder suddenly gets inspired and manages to pull off models, textures, animations and the code for this stuff. :(

Upvote 0
Bump, added a couple more ideas for weapons which are unique and I think could be very useful:

• Fear Grenade: Works in a similar manner to the grenade in that specimens will try to avoid it, except it doesn't explode and lasts for longer. Would be very useful for the medic, being able to throw one of these near a critical player giving them a chance to heal them.

• Attract Grenade: Opposite to above, this actually attracts specimens for a short period. Could be useful for distracting a horde giving you time to weld a door or two, or just to group them together to destroy them with some grenades or the LAW.

Upvote 0
Harpoon gun: Temporarily tether specimens to a certain point or each other. Stronger enemies would break free quicker. If two enemies are tethered together the stronger one would drag the weaker one. Would be particularly useful if there was a slow, heavy specimen such as the Behemoth suggested

Like the one from TimeSplitters : Future Perfect?
I miss that weapon :( ( Not the game cause I still have it on my good ol' PS2 :D)

Upvote 0
  • New: Attract Grenade: Opposite to above, this actually attracts specimens for a short period. Could be useful for distracting a horde giving you time to weld a door or two, or just to group them together to destroy them with some grenades or the LAW.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I hope somebody else didn't say this... Instead of your grenade you could just have big piece of meat, or a heart or something.... mmmmmmm

Upvote 0
Yeah

Yeah

Tethering clots together would be fun!! have never seen that done before.

I still like the Brick idea, this is England after all, that is a national past time to us lol, just being able to carry one at a time and either used for melee and/or thrown

Broken bottle
glenfiddich molotov cocktails
motorcycle chain

I personally think the game needs more melee, CQB
weapons than ranged as it does make the game a little easy, plus on the reality side, as said....this is England and we don't have guns readily available, so we use whatever we have at hand!

That is great man, that is so cool, this is exactly the kind of sh** I need
EDIT: Oh and yeah all the other stuff, like a spear, that is so cool
Motorcycle chain though WOW

Upvote 0
railcutter.jpg

The partner k1250 abrasive wheel disk cutter.

Depending the compound of absrasive wheel you use, these can cut through a variety of very tough materials including concrete or in this case, permanent way steel rail.

So we are talking near as damnit max speed and max damage.

Now obviously this makes it simply a more powerful chainsaw, but here's the rub -

of course it's large and heavy, so you wouldn't expect to carry anything with it other than what you spawn with - but it's so cumbersome you can't even stow it away (weapon switch) - you're either waddling along with it in your hands, or it's on the floor.

Also, you have to 'reload' it.
The abrasive wheels wear out, after dishing out a certain amount of damage (quite a lot - maybe walf a wave's worth.) they deteriorate to a point where they could shatter.
However you don't see an indication of this - the disk just starts to 'kick', warning you that pretty soon the disk is going to burst, causing damage to all in the vicinity.
You can reload a new disk, but this takes a fair few seconds as you have to let it spin down, and undo the retaining nut to change it.

So yeah, like a chainsaw, with more damage but with disadvantages that leave you vunerable and require you to be covered by teamates.

Upvote 0
I wholeheartedly endorse the brick idea, and have done so from the first point someone mentioned it. It might fid a niche as a stun inducer, doing very little damage, but always inducing a stun animation, except for the FP. Then the target can be shot at leisure. The idea is that it could be used against scrakes and husks, both of which can get pretty annoying.

Upvote 0