• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please Fix the Reload System

yea don't fix it. I reckon its a good system for making the game more intense and forcing players to play more strategically.

E.g. do i reload my Bullpup for more stopping power at the risk of dying, or should I switch to pistols once i get low on bullets and put up with less stopping power? its decisions like this that make KF so much more fun and challenging to play. =D

makes the game more interesting to play rather than games where you can put half a magazine in then magically switch to another set of guns

Upvote 0
the reload system is fine. you guys just need to learn how to use your weapons and ammo more strategically.

e.g. do i reload my bullpup/shotgun for more firepower at the risk of losing health or dying,
or
do I switch to my pistol/s when i run low on ammo and put up with less firepower?

its decisions like that that make KF so much more fun and rewarding to play.

also situational awareness is a good skill to learn in games like this ;)

Upvote 0
After rigorous testing in solo mode I found it is possible to kill a suspend a reload with any weapon. Let me explain.

For every weapon, except the LAW, Xbow, Hunting Shotgun, Shotgun, and Winchester, the weapon is stored and reloaded in clips. The reload is reasonable quick and only is initiated when the fire button is pressed when the mag is empty. By carefully monitoring your ammo, it is quite easy to manage.

For the Shotgun and Winchester you can cancel between individual rounds by firing or switching (obviously easy).

For the other three, there is a trick. If you try to switch weapons after the shot is fired, but before the reload starts, you will switch to another weapon without reloading.

Upvote 0
btw to everyone here the reload isnt broken, ive run around with empty berettas for a while aimed at somone and heard click, then started reloading. its exactly the same way the bolt action rifles were in RO you fire the shot then click again to bolt, here if you fire 15 bullets and click once more with a beretta you start the reload. dont fire key mash so much, calmly fire 15 bullets then put the gun away, the game never auto reloads for me ...

(although breaking animations would be kinda nice to see)

Upvote 0
I dont have an issue with weapon switching. Just use the number keys, doesn't really take much to memorise whats what. 1 melee, 2 pistol, 3 standard weapon, 4 special wep, 5 equipment. Pretty simple to me..

a lot of use prefer the scroll wheel. Im not a fan of hitting number keys to change guns when i can flick the mouse wheel

Upvote 0
Or try to smack them round the head with the butt.But then i suppose that would be too like L4D for some of you.ignoring the fact you can club people to death in RO.

Heh, shame you can't just attach the knife to the winchester for a bayonet.
Although thinking about it, being able to crack a clot in the face with the butt of your gun could be kind of cool as a last ditch effort to escape. Something that wasn't powerful enough to keep 20 specimens at a distance, but maybe a way to stun one eating your face with an empty weapon. Maybe being able to cancel a reload to do it. *Shrug* But the knife is for melee.

Can't say I've noticed not being able to cancel during reloads since I usually stick to the winchester and try to keep my distance.

I found the weapon selection a bit cumbersome at first, it's the same as in Half Life 2 and I've always prefered to just scroll wheel through them. Saying that though I just got used to using the number keys. I guess it would be nice to have different keys for the welder/medic tools though.

But to be honest, I'm happy the way the game is.

Upvote 0
(although breaking animations would be kinda nice to see)

It's not possible to my knowledge on UE 2.5, it's not very easy to work with when it comes to animations, as it has no options the blend or rewind anims (and to cancel a magazine reload, you would need rewind or it will look like pants, it would just snap from one place on your sreen to the next, or vanish offscreen in a blink of an eye, it would look terrible).

One thing that can be done is break the reload animation up into many sepperate anims, then you could in theory make it look good by having many steps along the way where you could halt the process (much like inserting new shells into a shotgun is many animations playing over, and you can therefor cancel when one of them finishes playing), and start playing another anim that does the reverse, but coding and animating that would be a fresh new kind of hell..

Upvote 0
In real life, if you are reloading your guns then you get swarmed by an enemy of any kind, you would never just keep reloading while that enemy attacks you. You'd put down the guns, or pick up another gun to defend yourself.
So, have you tried doing just that in KF? Throwing away your weapons and switching to another one? Or is that also not possible while you reload (honest question. I haven't tried this)?

Upvote 0
i think the only thing "dumb" about the current NONautoreload which requires you to click to initiate reloading, is the people who cant keep track of ammo either mentaly or by glancing at the quite clear HUD.

dont change it to pander to the lazy. if it aint broke dont fix it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the system is fine but I'd actually prefer the old KF one where you had to press R for reloading (so no auto-reload): it adds to the immersion (in fact reloading wouldn't be just a "passive" action) and the horror/tension factor, so you may run out of ammo, start hitting the weapon trigger... "click-click-click!!" and then "S**T! I have to reload!!". :D

Upvote 0