• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zoom ?

What's the point in putting out a game if you let everything about it be mangled by the masses? What game do you have left? Is there any identity or flavor still there? Are players going to stick around in a game that plays different in every single server? The answer is no. Freedom to customize is fantastic, but people ask for everything to be an option, and now you've got one hell of a loose game.

Afraid I agree with Knighted here. The amount of things that have been requested to be a "server side option" on this forum is getting a little absurd. "I don't like it...it should be an option" - they're making a game, not a bespoke piece of software you can pick and choose content or features from.

I'd be surprised if something integral to the weapons view/iron signts system is going to be a server side option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Afraid I agree with Knighted here. The amount of things that have been requested to be a "server side option" on this forum is getting a little absurd. "I don't like it...it should be an option" - they're making a game, not a bespoke piece of software you can pick and choose content or features from.

I'd be surprised if something integral to the weapons view/iron signts system is going to be a server side option.

It's a trend nowadays, to not include options. If you look back at the quake3 or half-life engine, even source, you can make a lot of settings in your config or via the console. I'm not saying beeing able to modify everything is good, but it's not that much of a matter in UE2.5/RO anyways, since some variables are locked while playing online. So I don't see why Zoom shouldn't be optional.

The problem with zoom/fov changes is that it changes your mouse sensitivity and many people like to have a constant speed. But I'm sure Tripwire will be so smart to divide the mouse sens by 2 when in ironsights or something like that... -.-

Making ironsight zoom and fov-changes during sprints a serverside option is ridiculous, though. It should just be a client side option. Different people, different tastes and everyone could play like they prefer, on all servers.

Upvote 0
you shouldn't make everything optional. But allowing people to customize things to their preference within certain bounds, can make the game play more enjoyable for people that dislike the fov zoom.

If anything by not using it in a long range game as RO you are at an disadvantage at a lower zoom factor. So why not allow people to use a wider fov to get less zoom for instance.

Upvote 0
I also dislike ZOOM as it will make small arms even easier to hit with then in RO:Ost.

I do not like the idea of player customize options as it will affect gameplay and the immersion level.

-ie, some players will use unrealistic low settings that make the terrain less cluttered looking ( no bushes or grass ), and able to see the enemy better, while others will have realistic high settings.

-ie, some players will use Auto bolt re-load, while others will use a button to manually do so. Hey, If there is a button to fire, another to load, you should also have to use a button to Auto bolt re-load.

Joe

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I need more buttons, I think I will get the roccat kone+ it has 12 funtions and a shift key so its got real 24 without them bing in craps spots like the naga. if anyone got one can you tell me how you are liking it?

that's nice. but i have this thing called a keyboard which makes all those mouse buttons redundant.

8 dollar laser mouse lasts 3+ years of solid performance. 50 dollar gimmick mouse with unnecessary functions are for people who like to throw money away.

Upvote 0
that's nice. but i have this thing called a keyboard which makes all those mouse buttons redundant.

8 dollar laser mouse lasts 3+ years of solid performance. 50 dollar gimmick mouse with unnecessary functions are for people who like to throw money away.

Sigh*

How many of those keyboard keys can you usefully press at the same time with your four fingers and thumb?

Hence the desire for a few more buttons on the mouse :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
From what zet said, sighting could become much too easy, and may encourage camping, bad camping, as you are practically using a low-zoom scope. I think they are taking it too far with realism; the more and more you try to make the game realistic the more you could realise you are sat behind a screen using a mouse and eating bread. I sometimes eat bread when I play red orchestra.

NOW; to get down to the real techy stuff. Irl, you would have to eat. Now, suppose there was a map where the Germans hadn't ate for a long while and to survive they had to raid a Russian field kitchen. But, heres the problem. To stay alive, you have to eat, but while eating you are defenseless, so half the team would eat while the others would defend, while the defenders get steadily weaker from hunger.
This would require a good team to pull off, and adds a good deal of realism, as many of the German soldiers during the last stages of Stalingrad became seriously hungry, to the point where quite a few actually died. iirc, one German on a transport plane (the last Junkers 52 to leave the kessel) stole a loaf of bread from an officer, and devoured the whole lot. After a few hours, he got terrible cramps and died before the plane touched the ground again.

This would lead to an added layer of realism: if the germans eat to much, then they will go into "slow death mode" until they eventually die.

My point is too much realism is a bad thing. It makes things more complicated. "Focusing" means another key is needed; it encourages camping (it may do) and also, if you have the option to remove this, wouldn't you keep getting annoyed when people are zooming in on and you, and getting easy kills?

What I REALLY LIKED about Ostfront was THE COMPLETE LACK of zoom. If felt so natural, and long range shooting was difficult, but it just felt so good NOT to zoom in.

Upvote 0
1232z3s.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think that zooming will be gotten rid off, since it has been shown in plenty of videos. And having zoom in one game mode over the other would just make things too complicated.

The key is allowing users with specific tastes to adapt the zoom stuff to their needs.

think of stuff like:
  • Setting individual mouse speeds for stages of zoom or resting or whatever (can be done through binds and mouse dpi switches, but nicer to have it accessible to everybody).
  • Within ranges defined by twi set the amount of zoom in every zoom stage
  • And finally allowing the user to control when the game zooms (you don't want heavy zoom in IS when fighting close range targets, you don't want a wide fov (low zoom) while running around when being careful for long range targets).

Upvote 0