• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Role Selection

What if there was a "fill basic roles first" server option?

Basically, if turned on, this would mean that there has to be a certain number of riflemen class selected before the other classes open up.

This would mean that with few players, everyone won't have SMGs/Semi-autos. I'm sure there will be much debate about whether or not this would be a good thing.

But, more importantly, it would stop n00bs that don't know how to use them from getting the sniper, mg, or squad leader just because they have a faster computer.

----

Also possibly a "randomisation" option for classes that have a choice of weapon. For example, if you select Assault, you have a choice of either PPSh41 or PPS43, or MP40 v STG44.

So with randomisation on, whenever you select one of these classes, it will give you one of the options at random; you can't select.

Reason for this is in real life you get issued a weapon, you really don't get any choice.

The only problem with your first idea is that after all the basic classes are filled, the fr00bs with faster computers would still be able to see the higher classes open up sooner than everyone else. They'd be clicking like mad on the class they want, waiting for it to open up.

To fix that, I'd like it to be crossed with a simple seniority system. The people who've been playing the game the longest should see the higher classes open up before the relative newcomers, but the basic roles would have to be filled first.

The second idea is very realistic. I'd like to see it in the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The second idea is very realistic. I'd like to see it in the game.

I suggested something like that a while ago, with the mapper being able to set a % chance that you will spawn with a certain weapon, based on historical distribution rates. That way the Devs could implement something like the C96 without having every moron and thier mother carrying one into battle, which would be very a-historical.

Upvote 0
Definitely not. However, could have under-supplied troops. For instance, sometimes only getting one spare magazine, or one or even no grenades.

Perhaps when the round starts everyone spawns with a full load, but as the round progresses you sometimes spawn with less than a full load.

Or, each team could have a set amount of ammo, which works like reinforcements. Once its all used up you'd a) be screwed, or b) have to rely on enemy weapons. This would make ammo conservation an important part of gameplay, and spammers would end up hurting their own team.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
idea... historically accurate... but don't know how well it will fly... a certain % or Russian riflemen don't get rifles

Historically accurate by whose standards?

As for ammo conservation, never should players have neither ammunition nor weapons. A scaled percentage would therefore be more appropriate. For a class that starts with 5 magazines/drums/clips or whatever, the absolute starting minimum should be 2. I debated implementing lower ammunition stocks in my map but decided against it as I was feeling lazy and not up to the task.

Upvote 0
I am in favor of a scaled system wherein a certain proportion of classes are available based on how many players are in the server not how many players the server can support. Each team should start with one squad leader and one machine gun with rifles for support. As the server fills up, assault or other specialty classes would open. Of course, this needs to be bent somewhat for cases wherein specialized classes are required for the most part (think Stalingrad Kessel and Sapers).

Upvote 0