• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Built in soft metronome based on ping.

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I just thought of this as a nifty feature to have when gaming.

Basically if you could optionally turn on a small soft sounding metronome that repeatedly ticks based on your ping delay. Then that information could help people in knowing how much they need to aim ahead to compensate for ping.

An optional light blinking on/off in a corner of the screen could work as well.

Last edited:
the thing is people have an ability to understand rhythms naturally and through it can easily get an understanding of how much they need to aim ahead.

Of course you would only hear or see it go on and off if you would enable it for as long as you would enable it. Nobody plays with the map open the entire time as it blocks your view, same thing nobody would play with the metronome continuously running. Generally a ping remains fairly constant during a match.

The key is rather than just seeing a number, know what actual delay corresponds to the number. If you got a ping of 80ms or a ping of 150ms I doubt you know exactly how long that amount actually is.

If you see a light pulsate or blink with a time delay between going from on to off or from off to on that is equal to your ping you simply can get a better idea of how much to aim ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoak
Upvote 0
Could you imagine a metronome ticking every 50ms? :eek:
Binking takes about 60ms, and I don't think that anybody would be able to even find out what that sound/light/thing is that's constantly flashing every 50 or 100 or 200ms.

Seriously, you do have a strange fetish with ping.

If I would be playing with 50ms I wouldn't bother listening. Its more for the higher parts of the ping spectrum. Why would anyone even bind a button to a function such as this and then use it just to have a flashing light. I doubt anyone would use it unless they specifically want to use it.

Upvote 0
If I would be playing with 50ms I wouldn't bother listening. Its more for the higher parts of the ping spectrum. Why would anyone even bind a button to a function such as this and then use it just to have a flashing light. I doubt anyone would use it unless they specifically want to use it.

Seriously, just try to imagine a sound every 200ms. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine a single person that wouldn't get annoyed as **** with this feature. TWI has way more important things to waste manhours on... beer, chicks and holliday to name a few.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why can't we just open the scoreboard and check it there?

because even if it says 200, do you actually know yourself how long 1/5th of a second takes in time?. As that is the amount of time you need to aim ahead of targets.

I don't see why people expect to turn this thing on and have it on continuously you would basically hold a button and hear some beeps to get a feel of what your delay is.

Even though the ping display gives you a number, it hard to guess how long it actually takes and there can be loads of methods to aid the player in the display of his ping.

Heck you could have a dot blinking on and off in the ping display of f6 to showcase what your ping is next to the number. The key here is to give people a method to feel what their ping delay is.

Upvote 0
I don't get the instantly hostile, negative reactions before an idea is even understood by those objecting -- an incessant pattern from some posting on these forums... Zetsumei's idea is not only easy to implement, but brilliant as a subtle cue to latency that would help a lot of Players with marginal connections.

The objections are as ridiculous; this obviously would be optional, the sound would be a multiple of your latency not the actual frequency (which is a patently asinine assumption), and it could be a nice soft sound that's User configurable from a geiger like ticker to matching beats like the audio feedback on tracking systems, simple locking tone, or high/low difference tones.

As an added feature you could have a user selectable threshold where it came on to give you a subtle 'heads-up' that you're latency (and or packet loss) were headed into poopville. Anything that makes a game accessible to more Player with marginal connections and keeps them playing is good, commone sense game design.

+1 Zetsumei even if it's not offered in HOS, I can guarantee it will be in another more serious tactical realism shooter.

;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
zets. great idea (although i still think lag compensation would be better)

At the moment as soon as i set up in a window, before i shoot at anyone, i shoot the windowsill and then repeat the timings back to myself, it just helps me lead.

Honestly, this behaviour is so unnecessary, the game code should account for ping not the player.

Upvote 0
seriously, just try to imagine a sound every 200ms. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine a single person that wouldn't get annoyed as **** with this feature. Twi has way more important things to waste manhours on... Beer, chicks and holliday to name a few.

Key word: OPTIONAL

And hearing a sound every 200ms is very easy. That's only 1/5 of a second.

Last edited:
Upvote 0