• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

let's not get carried away

hekuball

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Well, i don't expect to get flamed because the average TWI forum inhabitant is of a superior genus to most of the dimwits you get posting about games generally but i digress...

I know we are all excited, I am too, I really enjoyed ROOST and remember with clarity the first time i played it (the tanks and the gut wrenching, immersive realism) but as the title says, let's not get too carried away.

To borrow a clich

Well, i don't expect to get flamed because the average TWI forum inhabitant is of a superior genus to most of the dimwits you get posting about games generally but i digress...
Well, at least you tried.

The game details speak for themselves, I think. If you aren't convinced, you should write it off until a demo is released.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TS has a point.

RO:OST was kindof disappointing at the start, hell, there were not even smoke grenades (they were introduced in a content patch) and not many good maps.

Roost got more interesting due to the community, not thanks to TWI.
I think the same applies for ROHOS. Although in conjunction with TWI, that is good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I recognize RO as a very flawed game, yet... I've played this game since 2004 (there weren't even tanks) and I'm still playing it in a very regular basis today. A task no other game has managed.

RO2 erases all those flaws, and improved what was good in the first one, so, chances are, I will not leave RO2 until RO3 is out...

But I am me, and you are you. To each his own.

:IS2:

Reactions: Private Who?
Upvote 0
I've been playing ROOST and Darkest Hour quite a bit for the better part of four years.

If you got tired of it, that's your problem.

The way I see it RO2:HOS is going to be ROOST on the UT3 engines, with a modicum of improvements to the origional game. ROOST on UE3 with First Person cover and simulated tank combat? Yes please!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you need to get a grip of yourself,it will be a an amazing game,but after all its a game and not rocket science...
More like you need to get a grip of yourself and stop spamming other games' forums with your fundamental fanboy attitude that results exactly in people starting to think like the thread creator.

Upvote 0
I can understand the OP's concern, but from what I've seen so far it seems that RO2 will be a lot more streamlined and more fast paced (in the sense that you'll get into the action faster). And I think RO2 will be be a lot more a "quick-drop-in-and-play-a-quick-game" kinda game than ROOST, but it will also have the big drawn out battles (Online campaign mode).

Also the fact that most mainstream PC previews are positive, which is a good sign, cuz not everyone is into realism games. I don't see myself losing interest in RO2 fast, or at least as fast as with ROOST.

My 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Well...I'm not tired of RO yet after 4+ years. I have come to regard it's 'flaws' rather as 'quirks'.

I expect ROHoS will be a significant improvement over ROOst, smoothing out these quirks and adding new elements and challenges.

If that's ALL it does, I hereby swear my allegiance to ROHoS for as many years as there are servers to play in and as long as my fingers can move across a keyboard. So there.

Upvote 0
Erm well the Fact Thread is a good place to go if you want to learn more about the game. It's not anyone's job to "convince" you.

But honestly I don't see what ISN'T revolutionary about RO2. Let me just list a few features off the top of my head:

You have a true first person cover system that has never been done in any game before, a multiplayer campaign, which has never really been done in any commercial FPS's before, you have a damage model that seems to be pretty groundbreaking in the fact that the game registers differences between flesh and bone, you have tanking that is so detailed that it will probably rival most tank simulators out there, the game will feature destructible environments and bullet penetration unlike the last game, there is, from what we know, a realistic progression system to distinguish veteran players from new guys in ways that add to gameplay, awesome new commander features and a full squad system, and there are countless polish enhancements such as animation blending, better environmental movement (mantling over cover, etc) ...

The list goes on. Seriously, I can't think of a any other game's sequel that strives to improve to such a great degree on its predecessor. I'm curious as to what more you want them to do!

Upvote 0
Erm well the Fact Thread is a good place to go if you want to learn more about the game. It's not anyone's job to "convince" you.

But honestly I don't see what ISN'T revolutionary about RO2. Let me just list a few features off the top of my head:

You have a true first person cover system that has never been done in any game before, a multiplayer campaign, which has never really been done in any commercial FPS's before, you have a damage model that seems to be pretty groundbreaking in the fact that the game registers differences between flesh and bone, you have tanking that is so detailed that it will probably rival most tank simulators out there, the game will feature destructible environments and bullet penetration unlike the last game, there is, from what we know, a realistic progression system to distinguish veteran players from new guys in ways that add to gameplay, awesome new commander features and a full squad system, and there are countless polish enhancements such as animation blending, better environmental movement (mantling over cover, etc) ...

The list goes on. Seriously, I can't think of a any other game's sequel that strives to improve to such a great degree on its predecessor. I'm curious as to what more you want them to do!

Points well made and noted but I would suggest that most of what you are describing amount to a list of refinements and improvements to the existing Ro genre. I was hoping they might be a little more ambitious and produce something that goes beyond ROOST by redefining how the game is actually played.
Not saying for a minute i wont enjoy it because i know it will but cant help but feel that there's a bit of a deficit in vision. For those who thought ROOSt was almost perfect and want more of the same then this will complete them I'm sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think what he was trying to say was that RO HOS might be just a re-polished RO, and that it would be very hard to improve on the original without a drastic change. The few screenshots of RO HOS Ive seen, have reminded me of CoD2. I always seem to go back to the original after the getting tired of the sequel.
I hope RO HOS wont be like what CoD2 was to the CoD series.

Upvote 0
How long did it take before you got tired of RO OST ?

Its hard to compare to the old game. New Engine, new game
modes,MP Campaign,Singleplayer and more.
The new engine for sure will bring better player movement.

The only thing what remind to the previous game is the name.
So there is no reason to concern. The game will keep you
from the streets for a while.

Reactions: illinifan
Upvote 0
Points well made and noted but I would suggest that most of what you are describing amount to a list of refinements and improvements to the existing Ro genre. I was hoping they might be a little more ambitious and produce something that goes beyond ROOST by redefining how the game is actually played.
Not saying for a minute i wont enjoy it because i know it will but cant help but feel that there's a bit of a deficit in vision. For those who thought ROOSt was almost perfect and want more of the same then this will complete them I'm sure.

Actually, no. Most people wanted a direct Ostfront port to UE3 before the game was announced. But I didn't, I wanted the game to evolve and sure it did. I feel satisfied with the amount of announced features.

I can't think of anything else they could add to this game.

Fully modeled tank interiors with detailed damage system.
3D scopes with ironsight option.
Ironsight range adjustment.
Slow death
First person cover system (With bullet penetration included).
Accessible realism.
Realistic damage model.
Ability to call rocket artillery.
Multiplayer campaign.
Maxims.
Single player campaign as a German.
Morale system.
Dynamic music system based on morale.
Perfect copies of real places in Stalingrad.
Deployable MGs that uses the bipod as an axis.
Weapons that collides with walls (treated as 3D objects in the world)

Those are not just improvements over the original games, those are features that no other game has done before.

The list would be much bigger if I counted everything else.

Add all those features, plus the improvements (like the squad system), plus everything that was addictive about Ostfront (It survives to this day without all those features)... And you've got the perfect game here. I don't know what else you would ask of it. Tits?

Last edited:
Upvote 0