• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics M14EBR vs. SCARMK17

M14EBR vs. SCARMK17

• M14 EBR

Votes: 27 21.3%
  • SCARMK17

Votes: 100 78.7%

• Total voters
Two totally different guns.

That being said, I sometimes choose sharpshooter perk and arm myself with M14 + SCAR, since the scar weighs barely more than a handcannon and that loadout is AMAZING.

If you are aiming well the scar can deal similar headshot damage with sharp perk compared with using the scar on commando. Of course the commando will get better damage because you can't spray and get 20 consecutive headshots, and you get clip size bonus with commando, but still, for cleaning up trash the scar is amazing.

M14 is for husks, sirens, scrakes and FPs imo. I believe you can pop off one M14 headshot without raging a pound, and it takes around 10 to decap on HoE.

Like others said the main complain is the sights, I never use iron sight under any circumstances because the tuning fork is stupid and broken.

Also the laser sight has its own glitches but for the most part 20 headshots/clip is doable if the specimens aren't moonwalking.

Upvote 0
Handcannon Headshot damage 303
M14 headshot damage 432

handcannon Price $149 (perked)
m14 price $750 (perked)

and sadly the handcannon is arguably more accurate or at least seems to be with how often m14 shots like to go off mark.

i think the only + to the m14 is the ability to headshot a FP (on HoE) and not enrage it allowing some kiting, but if you have to resort to this tactic then you might already be screwed.

i dont realy use the m14 enough but i think the fact it doesnt have any pentration like the crossbow they never should have put its headshot damage so low and at the very least they need to fix its accuracy its supposed to be a precision gun (at least in the game) but plenty of times the bullet goes off center of the laser sight.

Upvote 0
I can't imagine any practical reason you'd want an M14 since the changes to SS. Body shots are worthless, so you might as well just use a 9mm for the trash, handcannon for the sirens and husks, and the crossbow for the big guys. It's sad but if you know when to switch between HC and 9mm the pistols can do everything the M14 can with less weight and cost.

SCAR is obviously commando's best weapon, but the perk itself is rather helpless past wave 5 on HoE. It really comes into its own as a medic weapon - SCAR with katana and MP7 is my favorite medic loadout this version. Most people prefer LAR or M79 for their berserker, but SCAR is also a decent choice as it has the same number of crawler kills in a magazine as the LAR (more if you go for headshots) but it reloads faster and you carry more ammo total, which is nice if you're expecting your nub team to die early in a big wave. It's just not as good at killing sirens and husks at range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've actually been using the SCAR in the same way recently, as a Sharpshooter weapon. It is extremely good if you are accuarate and lvl 6. I didn't know that you could fit the crossbow in as well though... Guess who is going to be crossbow/SCAR comboing from now on as SharpShooter. :p

But in all honesty, I used the M14 with a piece of blue tac in the centre of my screen and raped everything, so really it is just the red dot is pathetic and the iron sights are too crowded, neither make a ggod combination for sharpshooting... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
i was thinking possible fix for the m14 would be (again i dont use it much so if the Str of the M14 is the no rage FP with a headshot then please feel free to say so)

double its headshot damage
fix its accuracy (if i shoot at the red dot it better HIT the red dot)
lower magazine size to 10(optional)
basicly make it the LAR without the L

like i said in previous post, the m14 doesnt have penetration like the CBow and with the odd shots its totaly posible to aim perfectly yet miss which if your realy unlucky its possible to miss multiple times in a row(unlikely but possible) so having such low damage is kinda *insert derogatory term here*

Reactions: drunkentiger
Upvote 0
i was thinking possible fix for the m14 would be (again i dont use it much so if the Str of the M14 is the no rage FP with a headshot then please feel free to say so)

like i said in previous post, the m14 doesnt have penetration like the CBow and with the odd shots its totaly posible to aim perfectly yet miss which if your realy unlucky its possible to miss multiple times in a row(unlikely but possible) so having such low damage is kinda *insert derogatory term here*

M14 is already a semi-auto refile. And now it only take 10 shots to kill an fp. And you want to make it 5? No. That's will be too powerful. Decent M14 user already make scrakes and fp a joke now.

Upvote 0
I can't imagine any practical reason you'd want an M14 since the changes to SS. Body shots are worthless, so you might as well just use a 9mm for the trash, handcannon for the sirens and husks, and the crossbow for the big guys. It's sad but if you know when to switch between HC and 9mm the pistols can do everything the M14 can with less weight and cost.

SCAR is obviously commando's best weapon, but the perk itself is rather helpless past wave 5 on HoE. It really comes into its own as a medic weapon - SCAR with katana and MP7 is my favorite medic loadout this version. Most people prefer LAR or M79 for their berserker, but SCAR is also a decent choice as it has the same number of crawler kills in a magazine as the LAR (more if you go for headshots) but it reloads faster and you carry more ammo total, which is nice if you're expecting your nub team to die early in a big wave. It's just not as good at killing sirens and husks at range.

A reason you might want to is the fact that you can carry a LAR alongside the m14, which you cannot do with the bow.

If you can deal with the glitchy aiming, the m14 does have quite a massive store of ammo in case you end up needing to solo a 6 man hoe wave when the rest wipe.

Heh. He said "penetration".

Last edited:
Reactions: ph30nix
Upvote 0
I chose the SCAR, simply because I almost never play Sharpshooter beyond Wave 1. God bless the Sharpies, but I just don't roll that way.

At the very great risk of annoying a few people, I'll nevertheless repeat what a few have already mentioned; that these two rifles fire the exact same round, and, as such, there shouldn't be a dime's worth of difference between them in terms of effectiveness. (Perk benefits aside.) So, a shot that splatters a zed from one should also splatter the same type of zed, in equally spectacular fashion, as a shot from the other.

If the game is coded to provide 4X the recoil for the M14 than the SCAR, that is just flat out ridiculous. CandleJack's assessment of the difference in design between the two rifles in terms of control-ability is valid as far as it goes. But the 7.62mm NATO, (.308 Winchester), is NOT a harsh round in terms of recoil, especially fired from a rifle that tips the scales at approximately 11 pounds.

The graphical depiction of the M14's front sight is in need of a tune-up. Overall the game provides a pretty good depiction of the actual weapon's sight picture, but the center blade is a bit too indistinct. (It wouldn't hurt to touch up the two protective "ears" on either side of the center blade as well, but they play no part in the aiming process.) I've no artistic ability in a digital medium, but I'm betting any number of people reading this do. The center blade should be sharp and well-defined; most especially the edges. I'd say the trick is providing something that provides usable contrast in both light and dark environments.

The M14's sights shouldn't present a player with a learning curve, or a riddle to be solved, in order to be used effectively.

Upvote 0
In the sense of realism, you're right, using the same round in roughly the same length of barrel should cause roughly the same damage.
But this is a game, not a simulator, so non-redundant guns are preferable to realistic guns. They could have picked less redundant guns in the first place to make, but I wouldn't hold it against them for simply going with whatever they want and tweaking it to suit their purposes.

Upvote 0
In the sense of realism, you're right, using the same round in roughly the same length of barrel should cause roughly the same damage.
But this is a game, not a simulator, so non-redundant guns are preferable to realistic guns. They could have picked less redundant guns in the first place to make, but I wouldn't hold it against them for simply going with whatever they want and tweaking it to suit their purposes.

Believe me, I'm not all high blood-pressure over this. As I mentioned, I don't elect to dance with the EBR very often; maybe just when someone rage-quits and leaves it behind. However, it is a shame that a weapon that should absolutely shine apparently isn't regarded as having parity with it's 7.62 X 51mm cousin, either within the game or in this poll. I'll bet a dollar that TWI didn't have the current state of the M14 in mind when they decided to include it in the game. I hope not, anyway...

I don't mean to be harsh, but maybe the poll question should have been, "if the M14EBR suddenly disappeared, would you care?"

Upvote 0
SCAR is a fantastic weapon for the commando. I never play the perk but my favorite loadout is SCAR/AK if I'm firing a lot and SCAR/M32 if I need to play a more well-rounded role. The M32 does great damage against fleshpounds, even off-perked, and also good for lightening up the thick mobs, while the shortened reload doesn't keep you out of the action for too long.

I'd much rather have a handcannon as a sharpshooter than an M14. The red dot isn't reliable enough to kill at a long distance on most maps and I mostly fire from the hip with any gun at close/mid range, so the red dot doesn't do much for me there. Handcannon and 9mm are more than competent enough to kill the trash so I'm usually going handcannon/xbow or handcannon/lar/katana.

Not too fond of either weapon off-perk. M14 is too weak as anything other than sharpshooter and kicks too much as anything other than sharpie or commando. SCAR also kicks too much off-perk IMO and doesn't quite pack the punch to be used in semi-auto unless you're playing commando.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure a comparison is fair really, they are very different weapons. One's a decent sniper weapon, the other is the EBR.

LOOL nice one.

But I do agree m14 was a failed weapon from the start. First it was incredibly overpowered and now it just feels useless and nobody uses it anymore. I still think theyd be better off giving m14 to commando and making entirely new SNIPER RIFLE for sharpshooter, with high damage while scoped and low damage while un-scoped. Maybe even lower the accuracy un-scoped.

I find the M14EBR's ironsights are incredibly accurate for me because I know how to use the properly.

Sure you can hit with it when you just aim to the head but it blocks half of your vision while at it making you vurnerable to - lets say - crawler attacks. And its still a terribile iron sight.

Upvote 0
LOOL nice one.

But I do agree m14 was a failed weapon from the start. First it was incredibly overpowered and now it just feels useless and nobody uses it anymore. I still think theyd be better off giving m14 to commando and making entirely new SNIPER RIFLE for sharpshooter, with high damage while scoped and low damage while un-scoped. Maybe even lower the accuracy un-scoped.

Sure you can hit with it when you just aim to the head but it blocks half of your vision while at it making you vurnerable to - lets say - crawler attacks. And its still a terribile iron sight.

Umm... I really dont understand the reason to punish players who can aim unscoped.

Upvote 0
Like others said the main complain is the sights, I never use iron sight under any circumstances because the tuning fork is stupid and broken.

The graphical depiction of the M14's front sight is in need of a tune-up.

A tuning-fork....

....in need of a tune-up?

Spoiler!

However i completely agree.

Upvote 0
And this a one of the big reason of me loving KF so much. It cut out a lot of randomness like many other FPS games. If the gun is not totally broken, I should be hitting where I aim, and doing same amont of damage.

Try this one in real life. While other FPS games simulate this... crappily, there are some that did a nice way of this little difficulty in shooting. I might make a thread in I&S soon, provided it's not been discussed already.

---

I totally prefer the Mk17 over the M14EBR. Half of it is because of... why does the M14EBR not have the pistol grip and collapsible stock? Also, no scope of any sort is... kinda crap compared to how the XBox has one. The Mk17 does have a decent enough dot sight, but eh... honestly the dot isn't my preference. Too bad you can't setup a different reticule. On my airsoft JG614 with a dot sight, I'm running it with a reticule similar to an EOTech's reticule.

As for beyond cosmetics of the EBR, the sights aren't really that bad. Although... they could use improvement, they aren't as obtrusive as a few weapons I've used before.

In terms of use, I'm using the Mk17 long range and the M14EBR short range.

Upvote 0