• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kotor on steam

Bought it yesterday! 2.50 is a steal ... I never played this game but for that price for what everyone says is the best Star Wars game ever made and some say is one of the best RPG's ever made is a non question.

So far its fun and definitely has a big Mass Effect vibe (of course, I should say Mass Effect has a big KOTOR vibe). Either way it looks way more complex and deep than ME and I'm looking forward to having time to play it more.

Upvote 0
Preferences for specific settings and characters aside, I personally feel like it's pretty close to Mass Effect in terms of entertainment. Both games have interesting characters, a good storyline, well-written dialogue, and cool plot twists. The only things Mass Effect has the upper hand in is the character creation and obviously the graphics.

And Major Harvey, I own KOTOR on the original Xbox as well, tried playing it again on the Xbox 360 through backwards compatibility and I just couldn't get into it. A couple of months ago I bought it on Steam and did two consecutive playthroughs. The higher resolutions and anti-aliasing really make a difference. Also, mods. It'll probably go down to 2.50 again during the Steam holiday sale.

Upvote 0
Even if I'm not into the whole "Old Star Wars" universe?.

i'm not particularly into the old universe (well it was totally new to me) but i still found it had a great starwars feel - probably more than the prequels tbh.- andI can see how the old republic setting actually works well if not better than anything from the film eras.

In fact irrespective of any of the starwars universe i think the game stands up as a quality rpg (although this is hard to gauge if you are a fan of course)

Its a shame because before you had proper rpgs in kotor and out and out blasters like jedi knight - and both worked brilliantly - recent efforts to combine them, by adding extremely watered down rpg elements to shooters, have fallen kinda flat.

Upvote 0
Oh it's so definately worth $2.50. I'd say it's even worth $10. Like a lot of people I was a fan of the first three movies in the series, not so much of the prequels. The setting in this game is really well done in giving you that Star Wars feel minus Jar Jar and the annoying Trade Federation droids. In terms of a PC game, the only thing that seems to have aged a touch are the graphics.. but they arent bad. It runs flawlessly at full settings (of course) which is always nice.

The story, missions and interactions are great so far. I'm pretty sure I havent hit the halfway mark in terms of finishing the game. You dont have to be a Star Wars fan to enjoy this game. It's simply a quality rpg worth the time to play it.

Is KOTOR 2 any good?

Upvote 0
For me, the best part is how logical the dark side is in KOTOR. If they had explained the deep strengths of the dark side in the prequels, we'd all be much more satisfied with Anakin's switch. A quick summary: being human = having emotions, following emotions = more strength, more strength = command the Force. In contrast, the light side of the Force is achieved by avoiding emotions and connections to people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So for thousands of years the technology in the Star Wars universe has stagnated the entire time? That why we get lightsabres in KOTR (thousands of years before Old Republic) and lightsabres in Return of the Jedi? And spacestations in between? Perhaps I don't understand the universe, actually I don't besides the first three movies. Just a thought that I had.

Upvote 0
In terms of technology, I suppose it does stagnate. Space travel and hyperspace seems to have been around for a very long time in the Star Wars universe, so most technological progress seems to have been merely improving on ancient technology rather than innovating. The major advancement in Star Wars would probably be navigation, since discovering hyperspace routes is done by hit or miss. The known galaxy is much larger during the era of the Empire than the era of KOTOR.

I don't think lightsabers should represent the growth of technology in the Star Wars universe though. The prequels screwed everything up. In fact, I like to completely disregard them and continue to look at the Star Wars universe from before they were released. Lightsabers have always been known to be an ancient weapon, and it makes sense that they would be in abundance during the period of KOTOR. Throughout the three original movies though, we only see three different lightsabers. Yoda and Emperor Palpatine never even show or have theirs, which in a way proves that they are no longer important.

But in the prequels, which only take place about 30-40 years before the events of "A New Hope", there are thousands of lightsabers in use. Many speculate that George Lucas did that in attempt to make a purely visual show and ended up in dumbing down the meaning of a lightsaber, which in the dying days of the Republic were supposed to be more of a status item than a weapon. The whole visual style of the prequels imply that the days of the Old Republic were more advanced than the days of the Empire, but I think that's a result of George Lucas and the new technologies of film-making.

The technology and style of KOTOR would have been more fitting for the prequels, it reflects the "civilized age" that Obi-Wan refers to without looking too advanced in comparison to the era of the Galactic Civil War. KOTOR should look even "older", but it did a good job of portraying how the universe would be during that time period.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with Volodnikov. Take what you like and know about Star Wars and throw out the rest. Star Wars like Star Trek has a strange definition of canon. AFAIK only the movies and Force Unleashed games can act as "hard" canon references. All other books, games, and comics are considered "soft" canon and can be referenced unless they contradict something from the "hard" cannon. Basically, justify the technological stagnation however you like.

Upvote 0
So for thousands of years the technology in the Star Wars universe has stagnated the entire time? That why we get lightsabres in KOTR (thousands of years before Old Republic) and lightsabres in Return of the Jedi? And spacestations in between? Perhaps I don't understand the universe, actually I don't besides the first three movies. Just a thought that I had.

In terms of technology, I suppose it does stagnate. Space travel and hyperspace seems to have been around for a very long time in the Star Wars universe, so most technological progress seems to have been merely improving on ancient technology rather than innovating. The major advancement in Star Wars would probably be navigation, since discovering hyperspace routes is done by hit or miss. The known galaxy is much larger during the era of the Empire than the era of KOTOR.

I don't think lightsabers should represent the growth of technology in the Star Wars universe though. The prequels screwed everything up. In fact, I like to completely disregard them and continue to look at the Star Wars universe from before they were released. Lightsabers have always been known to be an ancient weapon, and it makes sense that they would be in abundance during the period of KOTOR. Throughout the three original movies though, we only see three different lightsabers. Yoda and Emperor Palpatine never even show or have theirs, which in a way proves that they are no longer important.

But in the prequels, which only take place about 30-40 years before the events of "A New Hope", there are thousands of lightsabers in use. Many speculate that George Lucas did that in attempt to make a purely visual show and ended up in dumbing down the meaning of a lightsaber, which in the dying days of the Republic were supposed to be more of a status item than a weapon. The whole visual style of the prequels imply that the days of the Old Republic were more advanced than the days of the Empire, but I think that's a result of George Lucas and the new technologies of film-making.

The technology and style of KOTOR would have been more fitting for the prequels, it reflects the "civilized age" that Obi-Wan refers to without looking too advanced in comparison to the era of the Galactic Civil War. KOTOR should look even "older", but it did a good job of portraying how the universe would be during that time period.

It is called Medieval Stasis.

Upvote 0
Lightsabers are a traditional melee weapon used by the Jedi. They stick to that tradition because, well, its their tradition. Also, they really are the pinnacle of melee weapons.. I just dont see how you can improve upon a lightsaber. So for me, the lightsaber is easily explained.

In addition to that.. Death Star anyone? There sure as hell wasnt anything like the Death Star in the KOTOR time period or the prequel period. A space station the size of a moon.. that can destroy planets in one gargantuan body blow! Yeah, that's a freakin' LEAP in technology if you ask me.

Upvote 0