• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What I would change with a magic wand..

If TWI handed over the reins and said..."With the exceptions to bugs/crashes/issues that we're working diligently on already...what would you change/add to the game?"

Here's what I would say need to be accomplished immediately or eventually...

1) Blur affect when moving quickly (including your weapon)

Instead of adding an annoying sway for your gun or nerfing the hell out of accuracy I would add an effect that when you turn or pop out of a corner or from behind a sandbag you can't immediately focus, you see somewhat double for a second until your eyes adjust (turn your head quickly and try to focus on something and judge the time it takes to focus and that's just with your eyes no weapon) So the faster you move or turn the crazier your screen would look, the difference between looking at a still image to what it looks like starring out the window on the freeway. This would make it difficult to make snap shots, but it would only last about a second or so.

This would even work when you were running or turning very quickly. Let's say someone is sneaking up behind you, when they turn around very quickly they can't just snap shot you, you'll have that half second or second advantage to gain an accurate shot, or else they'll just be taking a luck shot.

This also works when you are prone though, this is not to promote camping...what is it trying to promote is a scanning type motion, when you aim a real gun you don't just jerk the hell out of your head and your gun like a bird aiming at 100 percent accuracy, you scan, you methodically and carefully have to move your head to keep everything in focus and adjust correctly. They could even add an affect where your iron sight is not completely adjusted immediately to the center of your screen, it moves slightly instead of staying fixed.

I would also make it take some time for clarity in distant images...so for example when you turn your head to look at something on the other side of the map, it takes a while for images in the distance to become 100 percent crystal clear instead of being able to rotate like the terminator and shoot every little thing because you can see it.

2) Adjusting bullet accuracy

Not adjust the accuracy of the gun necessarily, but where the bullets land. Add some dynamic to the game by not making every single bullet land completely on mark.

If you aim at a target, your bullet will not hit the exact same spot every time...as far as I know It just won't. Therefore lets say you are aiming at someone 100m away. Well first bullet may hit on mark, or it may not. It may slight veer to the left or slightly to the right, it may mean the difference between this total accuracy gameplay we have right now where everything happens in a perfect world and hits the target. The difference im trying to make is that I don't want an affect screwing with sway or a feature that helps you lock in the aiming so it's 100 percent.

We need more whizzing bullets, we need more of a battlefield vibe out there. In fact I'm lucky to hear any bullets whizzing by and I don't see little puffs of dust or crackling sounds or anything because i'm usually dead on the first or second shot. (I've actually been shot out before, it sounds crazy lol)

3) Captured forward post

Nobody likes running to the front lines after dying even if it's not very far. Therefore let squad commanders set up operational posts, like where you have radios randomly across the map, these points can have a double function and be captured and set up as forward spawn points. Therefore giving a slightly more forward base where his squad mates can spawn.

These points can be destroyed by enemy engineers with satchels by destroying the radio, disabling the forward operating base. A friendly engineer can repair the radio and plant anti-personnel mines ( I know, I was going for it on that one!)

4) Medics and more significant bleeds

As of now the slow death effect is pretty awesome and so is the bandages but we need more of a penalty if you take a hit..lets face it you're not going to be 100 percent and this is ruining the game for people who are too good at it or cheating and get to run amok racking up these kill streaks even though they've been shot and wounded 3 or 4 times.

If you get hit in the leg...you limp
If you get him in the arm...your weapon sways
If you get hit in the hand, you reload slower

If a medic tends to you, he removes the penalty however. This will at least slow the pace of people who are out ramboing everybody but have still taken some damage in the fight yet performs as a player would be at 100 percent.

I would like to see slower bleed effects where you slowly black out but can still fight, and if a medic doesn't tend to you, you of course die.

5) Variations of defensive emplacements

Since we're in the city and fighting amongst rubble, there should be certain emplacements set up by both the defensive and offensive positions as a good machine guns nest or for good cover.

Those gun emplacements need better cover, they're not serving any purpose...nobody wants to man a machine gun and get popped and shouldn't have to. There needs to be a well protected and covered nest that can control certain points in the map...especially on the attackers side to prevent being pushed all the way back. This happens with the russians alot, they get pinned back to their spawn and can't get out because there is crappy protection.

It should be very difficult to take out some machine gun emplacements, they should almost be invulnerable except for a small area where the machine gunner is shooting out from and usually by a good sniper. Also what happened to these shields for machine guns? especially that maxim. However a anti-rifle gun should shoot right through the plating.

You think machine guns will last forever but they won't not with limited ammo and the vulnerability of getting flanked, at least this will get people moving.

My last suggestion is more armored anti-personnel vehicles or more infantry based weaponary that is stationary or could be used as mobile cover so that the AT guys have some more things to shoot at and otherwise can help just a little bit on certain maps.

Last edited:
1. Nah, we need about half as much as RO1 sway for this game right now. (motion blur give me a headache in FPS and some people get motion sickness from it)

2. Bullets shouldn't be super accurate right now. I'm not sure what you're seeing but I've been missing some targets.

3. Good Idea, but I smell abuse unbalancing and immersion breaking.

4. Great idea we need a better damage system now, something like Far Cry 2 + Ro1.

5. Good idea, when I jump on a maxim I'm ALWAYS blind-firing.

Final comment opinion: OHMAHGAHWDS YES. Darkest Hour had the artillery pieces and heavy guns set up around the big maps we need an AT squad and a few of these on Gumrak.

Upvote 0
I must agree for the HMG: they are actually USELESS.

Seriously, don't tell me about balance thing, there is no way to balance anything if you just can't use them without getting instakilled or... killing nothing at all due to the awful area of fire.

It was a waste of dev time.

note: I hope community maps will give us some really fortified MG nest :)

Upvote 0
2) Adjusting bullet accuracy

Not adjust the accuracy of the gun necessarily, but where the bullets land. Add some dynamic to the game by not making every single bullet land completely on mark.

If you aim at a target, your bullet will not hit the exact same spot every time...as far as I know It just won't. Therefore lets say you are aiming at someone 100m away. Well first bullet may hit on mark, or it may not. It may slight veer to the left or slightly to the right

I'm pretty sure RO2's weapons have a slight cone of fire, to simulate real-world variations between "standard" discharges. If you're looking for spread in rifles, you might need some extra distance to see it, but it's there. Hipfiring has the cone be wider, too.

---

Upvote 0

They're only useless if you stay on them for longer than a few seconds. You know you can blind fire those things, right? When I found that I went to town.

The positions may not be the best, but when you manage to catch people napping with them, you can rack up the kills in a matter of seconds.

I'm not going to say they're great, but I've had some good runs with them. They are attention magnets though.

Upvote 0

Instead, I disagree. I've seen many players take the HMG, and then stay there waiting for enemies to pop out; that's not how you use them in these narrow maps: you fire continuously at the enemy position, forcing them to keep their head down and cutting in two those who try to run away, giving at the same time your team a good chance to flank the enemy.

Upvote 0
Instead, I disagree. I've seen many players take the HMG, and then stay there waiting for enemies to pop out; that's not how you use them in these narrow maps: you fire continuously at the enemy position, forcing them to keep their head down and cutting in two those who try to run away, giving at the same time your team a good chance to flank the enemy.

All that does is let the other team know there's some dummy firing off the machine gun letting everyone know there's a free kill because no one is going to run in front of it or get pinned down...especially with this suppression and the accuracy of every gun.

Upvote 0
I've mowed down Russians at the foot of Administration with the HMG behind Infirmary.

At that range they can't even see you, let alone have a chance to do something about it. Now, after you kill someone, 3 guys might come up the left specifically to kill you.....but that's why you should already be waiting for them off the HMG.

Upvote 0
All that does is let the other team know there's some dummy firing off the machine gun letting everyone know there's a free kill because no one is going to run in front of it or get pinned down...especially with this suppression and the accuracy of every gun.

if they are not running in front of it or popping out of windows, you are already doing your job. And you still get kills, because the bullets pass through walls.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've seldom been killed while manning the HMG (obviously, if I see that the enemy is flanking and I'm not covered by teammates, I leave it and position myself to hunt the hunters :)).

Upvote 0
TEAM KILLS / - 6 points at least

- there are guys looking at me from 100m, i know he is from my team and he shoot me after a while and then he write to chat - sorry...

so he tries if i am friendly or not by killing me..

- 6 points for them..

he can kill 2 own guys, but he still will be in + while he can give ammo to his team members for 5 points...

stupid..

Upvote 0