• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dear Tripwire Team. Realism/Sellout?

Nordlander

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Hello all,

I and a couple of buddies of mine is askin about the realism level of this upcomming title, Rumors has it sayin its just one of those action sellouts.

So we as proud owners of the earlier game sens 06 is wondering about the real life experience in the game? As we have noticed so far there is a minimap in the corner to start with? Well lets put it down like this.. Were very worried!

Please respond TW so this bad feeling hopefully can end.

// Realistic-gamers, 3.SA clan.

I doubt there are words that will convince people one way or another that the realism is still there but don't think it's turned into COD/BF.

I for one hopes it sits between realism and arcade as there is a big void there which needs to be filled :)

The only thing to suggest is wait and see.

Upvote 0
The earlier game was not realistic at all in the tanking department. Will this upcomming title have its tanks implemented in a realistic manner?

Remember it's a first person shooter with tanks not a tank simulation with added FPS mechanics. There is only so far you can take it in one direction before it deviates from what the game fundamentally is.

Tripwire have also stated that the tank combat will be more detailed and in depth than before with fully modelled interiors. The Bash&slash webcast earlier highlighted this :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello all,

I and a couple of buddies of mine is askin about the realism level of this upcomming title, Rumors has it sayin its just one of those action sellouts.

So we as proud owners of the earlier game sens 06 is wondering about the real life experience in the game? As we have noticed so far there is a minimap in the corner to start with? Well lets put it down like this.. Were very worried!

I think we'll find that the game is highly customizable. Server owners will be able to hone the features to their liking. From what I (think) I know, there will be two default realism modes. (Read about them in the facts thread [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=34141[/URL]). And then lots of customizing of server variables.

Upvote 0
Hello all,

Proud owners of the game? What is it an antique car?

They're not selling out, its still far more realistic than pretty much every shooter except ARMA, which is used to train the military, this game still has to be fun, so they are sacrificing some realism by giving everyone maps but atleast everyone isn't running around like headless chickens.

Upvote 0
From what it looks like to me, the infantry aspect looks less realistic overall, but the tank aspect looks far more realistic.

I'd have to say the infantry combat is looking much more realistic! MG implementation, scope effects, dialing sights, mantling over all kinds of different objects, full weapon collision, bullet penetration, blindfire, OPTIONAL first person cover, different kinds of artillery, the commander is much more in depth and I have a feeling that people will be listening much more to their commanders in pub play this time around.

The only thing that looks unrealistic, or that has been largely complained about, is the faster running (which Ramm said in Bashandslash is actually a more realistic/appropriate model) and the reduction of smg recoil, which is imo good because the PPSH was ridiculous to control in RO1 (though I loved it to death). Oh, and also the ranking system/heroes, but from the sound of it, the heroes will only get minor benefits/adjustments to their skills. Honestly I think there will be many servers will have this disabled, so I'm not worried at all.

To me Tripwire is bringing nothing but good to the table.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd have to say the infantry combat is looking much more realistic! MG implementation, scope effects, dialing sights, mantling over all kinds of different objects, full weapon collision, bullet penetration, blindfire, OPTIONAL first person cover, different kinds of artillery, the commander is much more in depth and I have a feeling that people will be listening much more to their commanders in pub play this time around.

The only thing that looks unrealistic, or that has been largely complained about, is the faster running (which Ramm said in Bashandslash is actually a more realistic/appropriate model) and the reduction of smg recoil, which is imo good because the PPSH was ridiculous to control in RO1 (though I loved it to death). Oh, and also the ranking system/heroes, but from the sound of it, the heroes will only get minor benefits/adjustments to their skills. Honestly I think there will be many servers will have this disabled, so I'm not worried at all.

To me Tripwire is bringing nothing but good to the table.

All true and valid points, but core-gameplay is not entirely made of features. Features influence it, but they don't change it. These simply are my fears, and they have been fed again by Ramm's talk about spray&pray in the cast.

Upvote 0
Proud owners of the game? What is it an antique car?

They're not selling out, its still far more realistic than pretty much every shooter except ARMA, which is used to train the military, this game still has to be fun, so they are sacrificing some realism by giving everyone maps but atleast everyone isn't running around like headless chickens.

I disagree. ARMA is so unaccessible and stiff that it stops being realistic. And by calling that game realistic it makes people associate BS with realism. The idea set by Flashpoint/ArmA or simulators that realism shouldn't feel natural, is actually one of the main enemies of RO, and why people don't even bother to look into it as soon as they hear it is a "realistic" shooter

Some people think this game is gonna be less realistic than RO1, just because is gonna be easier to play.

But being hard, and realistic, are different things. Actually, there is a lot of stuff that for engine limitations, makes RO1 hard and unrealistic, that will make RO2 easy and realistic.

There will be a relaxed realism mode and a full realism mode, so you shouldn't worry.

The difference between relaxed realism and realism, will be purely cosmetic, the mechanics are gonna be all there... this game is designed basing everything on how real life works and feels... if something doesn't feel natural, it just wont be there. The info is all there, you can read the features of this game, and you can tell that there is no crazy BS.

More action?, sure, but all makes sense within realism... and this is an action game, after all. Blind fire behind a cover is a realistic action element that wasn't in RO1 after all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello all,

Welcome to the forums.
Best thing for you to do is...Read through the stickied facts thread. Watch the videos of gameplay and walkthroughs available.

All you're going to get from the forum is an opinion, a discussion or an argument.

Even if you do consider ROHOS to have less realism than ROOST it's still TWI's vision, they haven't sold out to anyone, no one's pulling the strings and making them create the game in a less realistic manner.

Reactions: Lt_Kettch
Upvote 0
I just don't like the leveling system even if its only aesthetic, like I said before, it should depend on the battle and unit, there should be no fresh looking Germans in Jan 43, we know what forces were defending the grain elevator, a platoon of Russian Marines, with 2 Maxims and a young commander ETC.

Plus, do I automatically have to look old because I play the game alot? A fresh looking young officer could potentially have alot of experience, but an older man could've been conscripted ETC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am actually really looking forward to the little minimap in the corner. One of my main problems with RO1 is that it is lacking in situational awareness. It is really important to know where you are in relation to your teammates, and it is easy to get separated when you are trying to play as a squad especially in public play. If someone gets out of your direct line of sight they might as well have disappeared. I'm hoping your squad will show up as different colored dots on your minimap so you can keep together.

For all its faults the battlefield series really does this well. I like that RO is moving to something close to the project reality mod. It is very realistic and has just incredible teamwork even when you are pubbing with random people. I hope the RO2 community will foster gameplay like that.

Even the hyper realistic ARMA players such as the shack tactical group use a little addon that does something similar to the RO2:HOS minimap. Since you are only looking at a screen with a small FOV I think this is the perfect compromise. In the gameplay videos it is the ONLY thing on the screen unless you press the key to bring up map features etc.

I feel that this will lead to more realistic GAMEPLAY. People will find it very easy to work as squads, use tactics, and even follow a chain of command instead of sixty four armies of one fighting each other. This is the most important thing.

Upvote 0
Will it be Realistic....No
If You want realism
1. Join The Army
2. Hope that the Armed Forces You have sworn alliance to, Goes to War with 1 or more like minded Nations intent on Killing You (Remember no re spawn allow....enemy server rules and all that).
3. If You do manage to survive You can
A. Call yourself a Vet(eren) and
B. say "Now that was realistic"
Those are the facts

Will RO:HOS SIMULATE Realism....I truly hope so, but no one as yet posting in this thread has played the game....so this is open to speculation....If in doubt, hold off getting the game until the reviews are in.
If You trust TWI (and I do), Then get that Pre-Order in when available and enjoy the game....Because anything TWI doesn't get right, I'm sure the Modding Comunity will pick up on

And Welcome to the Forums :)

Reactions: Poerisija and Kirq
Upvote 0