• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Players opinion!

I'm not so sure. The thing about beginner is you can literally kill anything with any weapon. Especially in solo mode. Fleshpound? Off perk bullpup? Not a problem! So it doesn't really prepare you for the tactics the "real" game requires.

Ah, but it does allow for a margin of error and room for experimentation. You've got more time during trader to shop and explore the map. You can get a feel for what weapons you like etc. Then you can up to normal and into a multiplayer game, solo should be used for a quick get to grips with weapons and zed basics, then into MP to learn how to play as part of a team.

I hate playing pub games where we are watching two or three directions, I'm watching one direction thinking that my teammates will be thinking "He's got that way, I'll watch this way." Only to have a couple run to my spot to shoot at the handful of zeds I'm easily dealing with because there was nothing for two seconds their end to then only be overrun from the direction they should have been watching. Although this happens in every co-op game ever I think, happened in L4D, happened in Space Marine.

Upvote 0
It's not so much about learning the effective tactics as it is about learning the basics. A new player on Beginner can learn how to buy weapons, try out weapon combinations, experiment with welding, learn that the flamethrower will burn your *** if you use it point blank, and live long enough so that the three-armed mad scientist with a chaingun and rocket launcher isn't such a deadly surprise when the new player joins a Normal server.

Upvote 0
I'm not so sure. The thing about beginner is you can literally kill anything with any weapon. Especially in solo mode. Fleshpound? Off perk bullpup? Not a problem! So it doesn't really prepare you for the tactics the "real" game requires.
Personally I started off on Normal. But I had the help of a friend to point out the basics, which Beginner is perfect for when you don't have anyone to help you. But does playing normal prepare you for a harder difficulty? Even one step up can mean you get hammered into the ground. Learning the weapons and the maps in Beginner is a really valuable experience IMO.

I installed two extra Beginner servers for the free weekend with some tips in the server ads extension. They have been packed 24/7 since then.

Upvote 0