• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

From RO2 to BF3 to RO2...

Bosniac

Sep 15, 2011
Snellville, GA
As someone who purchased this game on day one, I, like many others, had performance issues. Then I took a break, and played BF3 for a while, which made RO2 look like a multi-million dollar budget game with stellar launch. I just recently started playing RO2 game, and to my suprise, it's better now than it was. And I don't mean performance, even though that improved too... I mean this game is such a great break from BF3 (don't ask about MW3... I don't play junk). It's not that BF3 is nit great, it is, RO2 is just a more tense, tactical game with deadly precision, yet I can play it more relaxed. I am just very glad I own it. It definitely is worth having in your collection.

Merry Xmas, and happy new year.

Last edited:
Yeah I played the hell out of ro2 when it first came out. Then went to bf3 just because I spent 60 on it. I love both games, but I really want to get back into ro2....but I hate playing on a server that has ANY bots on them. So can't wait for good servers to come back cause im gonna be a ro2 junky again. merry christmas to u guys to!

Upvote 0
I bought BF3 day ago on Origin Christmas -50% sale. Great and funny game for public play with friends. Tons of weapons, addons, unlocks that works. Huge maps with variety of vehicles and combat. Squad system also is fine. Cooperating with other buddies (in tank/chopper) gives you advantages over solo playing enemies (that doesn't have stupid AI gunners).
DICE/EA said that BF3 is going to be Battlefield game series and it is, no surprises.
It costs me ~13 euros, totally worth it.

I still prefer to play clanwars in RO2, but public game in BF3 is more fun and entertaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: Musa
Upvote 0
BF3... I bought it several hours ago for -50% of its price (thanks for the info, Apos). Downloaded it, installed and...
Jeez... What a piece of crap this game is! Really! I've played BF 1942 and BF2 and they were pretty good games. You knew what was going on around you, you knew where your team-mates were and where were the objectives. It was all crystal clear Those games played pretty nice and even allowed for some tactical experience.
But this...?
I've played through three maps on two different servers and it's a complete mess. Total chaos. There isn't a single second without explosions or guns firing. Maps are cramped to the limits with enemy coming from every direction. The interface is dreadful. HUD arrows pointing at every enemy you currently have on your screen. No teamwork at all. And I mean ZERO squad based teamwork, at least on pubs. And the game pace? Certainly not a game for a tactical shooter armchair soldier. Hoaah.
The only thing I liked is the player being able to go prone - he bloody likes and the game sounds. Yeah, the sounds are quite nice. Also, majority of servers offer ~30-50ms pings.
Everything else... Failure.

Now, I know I've been *****ing on RO2 in the past... But little did I know about the current state of FPS world. My God... Comparing BF3 to RO2 is like comparing Doom multiplayer to Ghost Recon.

P.S. Oh, and the game, despite working great in auto video settings (30fps+), completely freezes my 4-year old Quad Core with GF9800 GTX every couple of minutes. Great coding EA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a quad core aswell macready. BF3 also chugs with a lot of things happening usually resulting in me being killed.

Apart from not being able to play it. I also totally agree with everything you have just said. I played it online and have many friends wanting me to join them team work wise. But even the single player campaign is just too silly.

Graphics are great... or should I say the effects hiding the graphics are great. But the game play is ridiculously fast... which I do not mind apart from the fact that I have RO2 which is more reasonable.

Seeing things like five engineers fixing a tank at the back that is being hammered from the front make me sick.

I will play it more when I get a new computer purely because friends do. But RO2 will stay my staple. It is realistic, which is unfortunate for some Roosters who do not like that trait. But still has fantastic gameplay and atmosphere.

Reactions: Poerisija
Upvote 0
Hi Destraex.
The thing is that the game works very smoothly. It just completely freezed my PC twice so I had to hard reset it. This has never happened in RO2.
As for multiple engineers fixing vehicles... yeah, I've seen that in previous BF instances. It's still here? Heh. Didn't have time to take a close look at it due to an insane game pace.

I've just disconnected from a server where I've been playing in a Russian team. The map was called "Metro something". All was going well, we were pushing US troops deeper and deeper towards their initial spawn point, but then something happened. A guy called why_hack joined the game and immediately we began to die fast from M249. Basically, every time we spawned, we died milliseconds later. By the end of the match, the guy had ridiculous 111:3 kill/death ratio. Never seen such crazy cheating in RO2 and TWI's budget is like, 1000 times lower than EA's. And yet with this amount of dough they were able to prevent the cheating, or it's just RO2's community that lacks adolescent players whose only point is to get as many XP points as possible. We couldn't even votekick the guy, because there's no votekick option in the game. Oh, and it was a server with PB enabled! Hah!
How about that?

P.S. I'd also like to mention that in BF3 weapons are free for all. I've been killed by US troopers wielding PKMs as well as AKMs or some other Russian and UK stuff (L98A1). :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I pre-ordered RO2 the first day you could (deluxe edition too). I was very disappointed.

So it made me very hesitant to buy BF3. I decided to buy a Limited edition cd key on ebay for 15 dollars (it was legit too!), and I must say as of now BF3 is a much better game. Still though, neither of them even come close to how amazing ostfront or darkest hour are.

I hope the devs fix up RO2 and make it what it truely should be.

Upvote 0
BF3... I bought it several hours ago for -50% of its price (thanks for the info, Apos). Downloaded it, installed and...
Jeez... What a piece of crap this game is! Really! I've played BF 1942 and BF2 and they were pretty good games. You knew what was going on around you, you knew where your team-mates were and where were the objectives. It was all crystal clear Those games played pretty nice and even allowed for some tactical experience.
But this...?
I've played through three maps on two different servers and it's a complete mess. Total chaos. There isn't a single second without explosions or guns firing. Maps are cramped to the limits with enemy coming from every direction. The interface is dreadful. HUD arrows pointing at every enemy you currently have on your screen. No teamwork at all. And I mean ZERO squad based teamwork, at least on pubs. And the game pace? Certainly not a game for a tactical shooter armchair soldier. Hoaah.
The only thing I liked is the player being able to go prone - he bloody likes and the game sounds. Yeah, the sounds are quite nice. Also, majority of servers offer ~30-50ms pings.
Everything else... Failure.

Now, I know I've been *****ing on RO2 in the past... But little did I know about the current state of FPS world. My God... Comparing BF3 to RO2 is like comparing Doom multiplayer to Ghost Recon.

P.S. Oh, and the game, despite working great in auto video settings (30fps+), completely freezes my 4-year old Quad Core with GF9800 GTX every couple of minutes. Great coding EA.

I'd have to disagree politely. BF3 is a gem and sets a higher bar for the fps genre regardless of people's opinions.

I allready play BF3 in hardcore mode exclusively but just immagine BF3 with slower running speeds, realistic vehicle play/hitdetection/damage system and overal cut down on arcade features (no medpacks/revives/ammo). It has the potential to be perfect but unfortunately Dice have always wanted to please the mainstream casual players and that is what made them big, probably rich and certainly succesfull as a developer. This is also the only reason that RO2 is still somewhat alive atm or people would all be playing BF3.

If only BF3 was mod friendly you could turn that game into something that comes pretty close to realistic combat.Things they allready have right are destructable environments, incredible battle atmosphere (sound/visual effects etc), gunhandeling/ballistics is reasonably realistic inmost areas and still fun and player animations are very well done.

Things they have wrong imo are map lay outs/game pace, arcade overdose on some areas especially on the vehicle aspect and damage system which is just to arcadish even in HC mode.

Frankly I don't see how MacReady can like BF2 more than BF3 especially if he played the B2K expansion which comes pretty close to the original gameplay on those classic maps.I don't think you tried the expansion pack yet because it brings back the original gameplay pretty well imo and even improves on it on many levels.

I'm not trying to promote BF3 in any way because it will only be a matter of time before I get frustrated with the mentioned arcade features and gamepace but still I think is not fair to discredit the game by looking at what RO2 has to offer atm as the "realistic alternative".

Certainly there is more squad teamwork in BF3 than there is in RO2 atm. However imo RO1/DH is still the most realistic and fun game looking at gameplay/realism and teamplay solely.

I think it's only a matter of time before a game enters the scene which will incorporate all the good things of the arcade and realism genres and combine them into 1 package aimed at realism over arcade or giving you the choice to go either way.
Perhaps RO3 or an upcoming RO2 mod could be that game. Perhaps Dice will go realism and make a different franchise for realism gamers based on the Frostbite engine. I don't really care who does it as long as it happens before I grow too old for gaming.

Al in all I respect Dice for BF3 as much as I do TW for RO1 (a little less for RO2) and I hope the best for both series because they both play a big role in miltary shooters and in paving the way for future games that will outshine current games and make us all happy. Speaking of which, happy new year to all of you folks.

Reactions: Das Bose
Upvote 0