• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can you enjoy the game completely right now?

I really want to enjoy this game more than I am at the moment but it just seems like one thing after another...there's always some bug/issue that prohibits me from immersing myself into it, or maybe it's just the general gameplay?

This is not a gripe of whether they are going to fix it or not, we're in the moment now and what needs to be done will eventually will be...I'm hoping, but I don't doubt TWI.

Gameplay

At the moment as a whole...the game is very unforgiving and has a high learning curve, especially for those who don't FPS much or do well in them. I'm an experienced gamer, been gaming heavily my whole life but even I'm having some difficulty with the game so I can only imagine someone buying this game, firing it up and jumping into a multiplayer game only to wanting to pull his hair out in the first 5 minutes because he can't see how the hell he is dying or where the enemy is...think of it from a new gamers point of view that is just trying to get into the game.

To some people they see this as "realistic" or not being a noob that just runs and guns in other popular FPS..but with a game that spawns you facing the wrong direction, has weird/unfamiliar keyboard layout...I mean man I can't tell you how often playing MG I get stuck against a sandbag because control uses cover, but also is the use key...I often fight with my keyboard and I'm typically able to grasp things within seconds of firing up a new game..or I'm already getting bombarded with arty as soon as I spawn or there's a tank and enemies sitting outside the spawn exit ready to shoot you down. I think people forget that just because something is realistic doesn't mean it has to be difficult and frustrating...the game isn't real life and doesn't implement many other real life things so there needs to be a real sense of balance and direction in the game, because people aren't going to just get it and work together...you're not going to have this awesome gameplay you always imagine of WW2 if you can't get people to understand what you're trying to accomplish in a video game...that's the problem, too many developers put elements of "teamwork" in a video game but aren't very creative in helping players work together and see the benefits of it without even noticing they are doing it, they don't make it convenient that's why.

Everybody is trying to find the right spot that will give them a few easy kills, so as soon as you make any kind of a move you get taken out. Now the problem isn't that I don't like tactical gameplay, I love tactical games but I mean really...crawling inch by inch trying to peak around the corner, or outside of a trench...moving this way slightly and then that way seeing if the terrain will shift and give you a clear shot...hoping it's not giving anyone else a clear shot at you is kind of ridiculous. I can live for a long time and rack up a bit of kills but to do that is tedious in a video game after a few hours.

Guns just seem too accurate...the mkb is a beast...hell even snipers aren't all that popular because everyone is a sniper in the game regardless of the gun..or at least not enough to challenge the user in gaining a great shot using much skill...it's actually kinda pointing and clicking...the hardest part of the game is really just finding a good hiding spot. Smoke does somewhat of an ok job to help progress in a stalemate but at the same time you have to get into a good position to be able to throw it, so offering cover for your soldiers is a sacrifice and one that many players still won't be confident enough in taking advantage of because half the time you get shot through the smoke anyway. No one cares about objectives more than they're concerned about living.

Add in the frustration of manipulating the cover system...you go to deploy an mg and you can't or it faces you in the wrong direction, or you go to fire and the gun doesn't fire..you have to click twice...your finger points where the grenade should go but go far to the right instead...your gun does the same thing, instead of shooting straight it shoots off to the right...sometimes even really low so you have to pray and spray aiming high in a situation you have to...Russians get dominated due to some severly inbalanced maps...not to mention the mkb being the most dominant gun in the game which you will lose to in CQB or out in the open...and what's with machine guns being out in the open without proper cover...how realistic is it to have a machine gun propped up where everyone can get a clear shot at your head...how about some actual effectively placed mg's where you have to take careful aim to take one out?.

And then I end up in a game with a cheater, who has the ability to see through walls and runs around every corner blasting away before you even notice him, and he's already doing that half-circle-round-about-move to keep you in front of him because he knew you were there!...I hope cheaters are banned from life!

I think it's a great game, with great potential but I'd like to some extra challenges or implementation to help balance out the game and imo opinion make it even more "realisitc".

OP, you'll have to excuse me for not reading your entire post, so I'll just answer the thread title.

I enjoy the basic gameplay despite feeling some of the decisions (unlocks, sway and stamina expenditure reduction with level, bonuses to reload speed and ironsight toggle with level, etc.) are laughably bad.

The core shooting is superb, the game is not without its rough edges but it just needs some more polish. I wish it was still a sim/arcade hybrid with the balance tipped to the simulation side like RO1, but eh. It is what it is.

---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gameplay

At the moment as a whole...the game is very unforgiving and has a high learning curve...

Id actually disagree with that. You get a pretty decent tutorial in the single player. If anything, I feel the game is too simplistic and too reaction based. No sway and minimal penalties for firing on the move make hitting targets a long way away really a bit too easy.

Tank combat seems to be the most complex thing, and even that is a lot simpler than it should be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO is like British humor it has to grow on you when I first played ro1 I felt it was way too hard.The more I played it tho and got used to the maps/weapons and gameplay the funner it got (until it was my favorite first person shooter).To any new players to RO hang in there the more you play it the better you get and after years of play I find myself still learning ... few games can claim that

Its a war sim and very deadly if you want a game you have to empty a whole clip into a guy to kill him you may have to look elsewhere

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've played 6~ hours online in 32 player territory servers. I've had moments of fun, but most of the time it's frustrating to play and overall not much fun.
Either the enemy has seen me (at which point I'm dead) or I have seen an enemy (at which point they're dead).
Getting to even a point to defend can be a gamble. Almost there, almost there aaaand rifleman god knows where sends me back to spawn. Attacking a point is even worse.

I'll keep picking it up for 20 minutes at a time, but I play less and less each day.

There's a topic in suggestions about adding new sway and making it more difficult to aim - I would love to see that happen.

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
19.7 hrs / 19.7 hrs

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Beta
14.4 hrs / 15 hrs

Enjoying myself yes :D

Fun at times, hate at others.. take a few months at least to be close to stable and all bugs worked out. I wanna fly to GA and offer to QA for them and just play the crap out of the game and find bugs. mid 20s nothing to do, why not. hire me TW :)

/backtoRO2

Upvote 0
..... Gameplay

At the moment as a whole...the game is very unforgiving and has a high learning curve, especially for those who don't FPS much or do well in them. I'm an experienced gamer, been gaming heavily my whole life but even I'm having some difficulty with the game so I can only imagine someone buying this game, firing it up and jumping into a multiplayer game only to wanting to pull his hair out in the first 5 minutes because he can't see how the hell he is dying or where the enemy is...think of it from a new gamers point of view that is just trying to get into the game.

I've been playing RO for a long time now, and even today I still have moments of "where the hell did that come from." Though obviously from an enemy.... but it's just the way the game plays. Everybody is in the same boat when it comes to things being unforgiving.

In regards to the learning curve, it's a lot less than what it was in RO1, and since they worked on a Single Player Campaign, that explains a good deal about the game and how to be somewhat decent at it.

To some people they see this as "realistic" or not being a noob that just runs and guns in other popular FPS..but with a game that spawns you facing the wrong direction, has weird/unfamiliar keyboard layout...I mean man I can't tell you how often playing MG I get stuck against a sandbag because control uses cover, but also is the use key...I often fight with my keyboard and I'm typically able to grasp things within seconds of firing up a new game..or I'm already getting bombarded with arty as soon as I spawn or there's a tank and enemies sitting outside the spawn exit ready to shoot you down. I think people forget that just because something is realistic doesn't mean it has to be difficult and frustrating...the game isn't real life and doesn't implement many other real life things so there needs to be a real sense of balance and direction in the game, because people aren't going to just get it and work together...you're not going to have this awesome gameplay you always imagine of WW2 if you can't get people to understand what you're trying to accomplish in a video game...that's the problem, too many developers put elements of "teamwork" in a video game but aren't very creative in helping players work together and see the benefits of it without even noticing they are doing it, they don't make it convenient that's why.

Getting fluid team work in a FPS war game is still a work in progress for pretty much every developer.

In regards to gameplay and how complex it is, I find it a lot more simpler than RO1... though I never had a problem in RO1 or the mod, as I was used to all of these layouts in the mod days..... but I do understand where it can be a lot for someone new to take in.

It takes time, but once it's all figured out and you get used to it, it's far more fluid than most other FPS's I find.

Everybody is trying to find the right spot that will give them a few easy kills, so as soon as you make any kind of a move you get taken out. Now the problem isn't that I don't like tactical gameplay, I love tactical games but I mean really...crawling inch by inch trying to peak around the corner, or outside of a trench...moving this way slightly and then that way seeing if the terrain will shift and give you a clear shot...hoping it's not giving anyone else a clear shot at you is kind of ridiculous. I can live for a long time and rack up a bit of kills but to do that is tedious in a video game after a few hours.

How do you think the people in real life felt during WWII?

In certain situations, crawling inch by inch makes sense and is required in order to survive..... other times people are being way to passive and need to get off their arses and take a risk..... it's a balance each player has to assess. Being a new player, I understand that after getting killed a few times, you'd start off being pretty passive and playing it safe. It takes time.

Guns just seem too accurate...the mkb is a beast...

Funny, I find it weaker than the MP40.

hell even snipers aren't all that popular because everyone is a sniper in the game regardless of the gun..or at least not enough to challenge the user in gaining a great shot using much skill...it's actually kinda pointing and clicking...the hardest part of the game is really just finding a good hiding spot.

It's not so much about finding a good hiding spot, as no matter how good that spot might be, someone is eventually going to find you if you stay there too long.

Relocation is the key...... even for marksmen/snipers.

The other thing is to know when to shoot, as many can see the flash of your shot...... and the other key is to not move often or move too much so you're harder to see. Movement catches the eye, even when you're not focusing on that specific spot.

Smoke does somewhat of an ok job to help progress in a stalemate but at the same time you have to get into a good position to be able to throw it, so offering cover for your soldiers is a sacrifice and one that many players still won't be confident enough in taking advantage of because half the time you get shot through the smoke anyway. No one cares about objectives more than they're concerned about living.

Throw the smoke over a building, or over cover.... or be very quick with tossing it and then heading back for cover..... I hardly ever have a problem tossing smoke or using the smoke. The only time I get shot is when I'm exiting the smoke out into the open.

I hardly ever see people randomly shooting into the smoke, as #1 - it's a waste of their ammo and #2 - gives away their position to the rest of your team and ends up with them more dead.

Add in the frustration of manipulating the cover system...you go to deploy an mg and you can't or it faces you in the wrong direction, or you go to fire and the gun doesn't fire..you have to click twice...your finger points where the grenade should go but go far to the right instead...your gun does the same thing, instead of shooting straight it shoots off to the right...sometimes even really low so you have to pray and spray aiming high in a situation you have to...

I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

Grenades are thrown just fine for me, though I aim using the middle finger of the left hand for a decent direction..... and none of my shots shoot left or right from where I am aiming, unless you're talking about hip shooting, which for me shoots more to the left, but that's due to me being left handed trying to use a right handed body in the game screwing up my perspective.

Russians get dominated due to some severly inbalanced maps...

I never see this.... it's an even split between both teams in all the maps I have played. The only times when I see the russians lose, is when the German team ends up with more players and teams are unbalanced, which happens a lot I find.

The other time I see a team lose is when there is no teamwork or communication.... zero communication usually leads to your team losing.

not to mention the mkb being the most dominant gun in the game which you will lose to in CQB or out in the open...

I find it pretty weak.... weaker than the MP40. I usually kill someone with the MP40 in one or two hits.... while the MkB42 at any distance requires 3+ hits for me to take someone out, unless I get them in the head.

and what's with machine guns being out in the open without proper cover...how realistic is it to have a machine gun propped up where everyone can get a clear shot at your head...how about some actual effectively placed mg's where you have to take careful aim to take one out?.

That's a problem with player's personal tactics, not the game itself.

And then I end up in a game with a cheater, who has the ability to see through walls and runs around every corner blasting away before you even notice him, and he's already doing that half-circle-round-about-move to keep you in front of him because he knew you were there!...I hope cheaters are banned from life!

They'll be cleared out soon enough... though I can't say I've encountered any cheaters yet, not even in the Beta. I do know they exist, but never seen them myself.

Upvote 0
It's really a bit confusing to see people complaining about stats, unlocks and accurate weapons -- just about every single thing that separates RO2 from RO1. I honestly don't get it. I can't help but feel that it begs the question, why not just continue to play RO1 then? What is it these RO purists want exactly, a remake?

Upvote 0
It's really a bit confusing to see people complaining about stats, unlocks and accurate weapons -- just about every single thing that separates RO2 from RO1. I honestly don't get it. I can't help but feel that it begs the question, why not just continue to play RO1 then? What is it these RO purists want exactly, a remake?

I wanted Tripwire to take everything that they had perfected in RO over a period of 7 years, with input and the experience of thousands of players and tens or hundreds of thousands of hours of gameplay, testing, modding, and customizing, and put all that into the new engine, polish it, and unleash it.

Upvote 0
I got to play this game properly earlier with a little clan game we had going. Trust me, guys. At it's core, RO2 is -perfect-. Given a few months, this is going to be the best shooter on the market. Let the kiddies run off to something else and let the realism folks really dig their hands in.

Once we started playing properly, firefights started to drag out, things got more intense, there was less running and gunning and -plenty- of awesome tactical movement. Tons of incredible water cooler moments all around, and with everyone coordinating over teamspeak it became one of the best shooter experiences I've ever had.

Once the issues I have with it get hammered out (the game plays -so- much better without the Mkb, AVT, and assault classes running everywhere) and the playerbase figures out the tactics, we'll have a phenomenal shooter for years to come.

Upvote 0

Wait, what? Accurate weapons were in ROOST too, the difference people usually mention is ROOST's limited availability of automatic weapons (and the semi-autos) and harder (if ultimately less realistic) recoil to manage.

---

Upvote 0
Again, I understand the ROOST crowd wanting more difficult gun mechanics, but that just promotes poor tactics and severely hampers the intensity of it all. Things like rifle sway and bullet spread give you the confidence to expose yourself in situations where you really shouldn't. The weapon handling in RO2 is perfect, in my humble opinion, because it so neatly mirrors real life combat situations. If they can see you, they can kill you. Stay on your face, expose as little as possible to the enemy, lay eyes on him first, and deny him his cover. I'm not missing clear shots just because my rifle unseated for a fraction of a second while tracking a target and started to sway. I'm not wrestling with the RNG as an assault trooper runs up to fill my face with 9mm bullets. I'm encouraged to crawl through the dirt, pay close attention to the terrain, and keep my head down.

It's a wonderful sensation to hear the enemies running past you knowing that you've successfully pulled off a flanking maneuver, and then popping out of your hiding spot to shoot them in their backs as they advance. Squatting prone in the bushes with an MG34 and picking off the enemy with precise, controlled, accurate bursts and staying hidden for an extended period precisely because I -can- hit the enemy is a wonderful sensation that I never got in RO1. I actually feel like a competent soldier now, as opposed to a frozen, exhausted, PTSD victim.

Reactions: CrazyFingers
Upvote 0

I think we were looking for something like MW to MW2. To put into CoD terms.

Upvote 0
too many autos and semi autos running around right now for me to enjoy the game alot. maybe its because i started with RO1 or somthing but i really liked the bolt action theme and that was what got me into the game in the first place, the way it is now i honestly cant say its any different from any other WW2 FPS ive played which is sad. RO1 was so unque its ironic that they seemed to ditch what made their game popular to begin with.

Upvote 0