• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Any chance of Mortars

You do not need clear line of sight to fire a mortar. In fact you don't want to be in sight as you'll be taken out. You need the same as arty, co-ordinates.
I also don't agree that if you have mortars you don't have arty. 2 different things imho. You can't take a tank out or hit a large area with mortars.

While in general mortars and artillery are two totally different things, IN THE GAME they're often used pretty much the same way (although artillery is more powerful and blankets a wider area, obviously), at least in an indirect fire role.

For direct fire, you'd need line of sight so you could aim the mortar. I rather doubt that squad leaders are going to call in mortar strikes on a map grid coordinate and the player with the mortar then "dials it in" and fires away.

Mortars would be useful for direct fire and more precise strikes, but on a lot of stock RO maps, it'd be tough to take advantage of them.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how they're going to impliment the mortars. Whether as artillary type fire with a request from the squad leader or Mortar team leader. Or just a line of sight put the xhair on the building & fire type method. either way i'm looking forward to trying it. Maybe any CC guys could shine some light on it. Anyone in CC know if there's gonna be a test server running the new map & mortars before it's released?? I wanna try it out :D

Upvote 0
With the mortars the crew has to adjust the angle and direction manually.
For mortars like the soviet m39 you also have to adjust the vents.

You put a shell in and the shell flies according to the angle, direction and thrust settings you set (probably with a slight random factor to make up for wind and the not so 100% perfect equipment)

We are still looking for testers.
Thoug you should keep in mind that testing is not a free sneak peek at our work. Testing is meant to solve problems we encounter and make suggestions how to improve things.
The most important thing is, that you have to activly take part during the testing sessions and give feedback in the needed ways.

Upvote 0
Is there any plans to make mobile Mortar crews? There must surely be a way to protect spawnpoints form them. If not just kick people who spawnrape.

Personally I dont think that mobile crews will work it takes to many shooters from your team and the average life span in game is 1:20 now (guessing) so the crew will die setting up most likely also if it take more than 1 to fire it what happens if the crew member dies on the way to the setup point or wherever you are going it will kind of be like herding cats. kicking doesnt work hell we cant even kick people satcheling everyone in our spawn. I just learned how to vote myself the other day.

Not knocking CC I eagerly await to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I dont think that mobile crews will work it takes to many shooters from your team and the average life span in game is 1:20 now (guessing) so the crew will die setting up most likely also if it take more than 1 to fire it what happens if the crew member dies on the way to the setup point or wherever you are going it will kind of be like herding cats. kicking doesnt work hell we cant even kick people satcheling everyone in our spawn. I just learned how to vote myself the other day.

Not knocking CC I eagerly await to be proven wrong.

I think every person alive should manage to set up a 50 or 60mm mortar all by himself, dont you think? Beside, if the mortar crew sets their mortar up on a spot where they can be taken off by rifles, etc, i think they deserved their fate. Mortars are for indirect fire...

Upvote 0
I think every person alive should manage to set up a 50 or 60mm mortar all by himself, dont you think? Beside, if the mortar crew sets their mortar up on a spot where they can be taken off by rifles, etc, i think they deserved their fate. Mortars are for indirect fire...

Right but you guys have been saying crew implying more than one. I agree with the setup but good luck getting and ADD kiddie on a pub to sit still long enough to put down fire when he cant see what is happening. Would work good though for non pub servers I would guess. I agree that Mortars are for indirect fire but not everyone understands these military concepts or how to work as a team. But seriously good luck on it I want to see how it works. I will be available to test if you still need that.

Upvote 0
Right but you guys have been saying crew implying more than one.

Yes, basically soviet mortar teams consisted of 3 guys, we tone it down to 2 (the third one was basically a rifleman anyway), where one guy is operating the mortar the other is executing spotting and resupplying duties. Though you can operate it alone you wont be half as effective as when working together.
We will also make sure the spotters get their share for their support. And spotting will include more than just saying if shells hit or not.

With the teamwork not working on public: with the same argument you could make tanks be fully functional by only one guy.
I think people will pretty fast get the best ways to use the weapon.

Upvote 0
Personally i can't wait to give it a go. I often stay by an MG or sniper to try to give them support & stop people sneaking up on them. Trouble is you get nothing for it & although i'm not a score whore, no one likes to see there name at the bottom when the sniper they protected is at the top when on a pub server.
I think giving support as part of a mortar team will enhance some of the TEAM aspects of the game & will give it a more SQUAD like feel as you help your team to advance or defend. Plus it will give a more realitic war like feel to be involved in the firing of the mortars. Not everyone in war is a frontline killing machine.

ps i'm on nights this next 3 days so will have spare time during the day (GMT +2). I've never been involved in testing before but if i can help a little i'll try.
Rob

Upvote 0
Yes, basically soviet mortar teams consisted of 3 guys, we tone it down to 2 (the third one was basically a rifleman anyway), where one guy is operating the mortar the other is executing spotting and resupplying duties. Though you can operate it alone you wont be half as effective as when working together.
We will also make sure the spotters get their share for their support. And spotting will include more than just saying if shells hit or not.

With the teamwork not working on public: with the same argument you could make tanks be fully functional by only one guy.
I think people will pretty fast get the best ways to use the weapon.

Sounds a lot like BF1942's artillery system.

Upvote 0
Ok, so what's the loader/spotter's role exactly? For the record, I actually meant more that the spotter and gunner have to work together to coordinate fire. You can guesstimate where shells will land, but you won't be nearly as accurate and it'll be a lot more trial and error.

P.S. Does RO have a static skybox? If so, you could be creating MAJOR headaches for certain implementations of mortars.

Upvote 0
Most closed-top AFVs (IE: anything but the UC, SU-76, and the German Halftrack) could withstand a 50-60mm mortar round on the roof. You wouldn't destroy the tank, although if it hit in the right spot you might immobilize it.

If you could blow off a track, that'd be fine by me, but I think the way tracks function, doing so would be pretty difficult.

Upvote 0