• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics New players to Killing Floor

gears1992

Dec 27, 2010
There are multiple types of people who play this game but the 2 most notable are probably team players and lone wolfs.. let's dissect...
Team players are players who care more for the fun of playing and surviving as a team. Killing floor is a cooperative survival shooter and especially at the beginning it requires a level of team work to make it through... not only is it important but it makes the game fun....
Lone wolfs generally don't start out as so usually these people are the ones who start out as mild loners leaving their teammates to die or just plain running off and trying to rack up kills... these people tend to hog the kills so no one gets any money besides them then doesn't share the loot either way not good for the team no kills means no level up and no money... no money at first isn't terrible but once you get into the higher waves it kills the team...
Point of this is... which kind of player are you?
If your new to Killing Floor and want to learn how to play and have fun doing so and also learn from some of the best players in the game (not being narcissistic talking about a couple of my friends) then add me gears81 (game name is gears1992)
I like to help new players so that they can experience the game not playing with a bunch of jerks and *** holes... I had put about 14 hours of gameplay in before meeting a decent person to play the game with... my first couple of matches were the worst I've ever had and I don't want new players to deal with that.

I feel there is more than just 2 types of players; I mean, those are the main categories, yes, but there are many, many personality and gameplay differences among the subtle little types. Anyways, I'm not into pyschology and such tonight, so I'll just go to happy welcome mode.

So basically: If you need any help, either on advanced difficulties or you just need to learn the ropes, I will gladly assist. Of course, everything I know could probably be found here at the forums, but its more fun learning it in the wild, right? ;)

Upvote 0
I feel there is more than just 2 types of players; I mean, those are the main categories, yes, but there are many, many personality and gameplay differences among the subtle little types. Anyways, I'm not into pyschology and such tonight, so I'll just go to happy welcome mode.

So basically: If you need any help, either on advanced difficulties or you just need to learn the ropes, I will gladly assist. Of course, everything I know could probably be found here at the forums, but its more fun learning it in the wild, right? ;)

Timur to me you seem to have a deep knowledge of the game compared to most. You might not have the exact numbers to prove what you say at times (as I see you more of a thought person, not an exact numbers cruncher) and you seem to know what to do in most situations from what I've heard. I may have to make it a point to try and get into a game with you once and see the man at work. :eek:

Upvote 0
There are alot of types :
1. Lvl 0 that use random weapons
2. Low levels getting into HoE , Suicidal games
3. Lvl 3 that think they are the boss
4. Fail rambos
5. Rushers
6. Don't helping the team and going by it's own ( Lvl 0-1-2-3 ) in a Suicidal , HoE game.

With +335 hours played , sometimes I've met the worst players I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's the point of me doing this is so that new players can meet good people who actually do what they are supposed to do...
One big thing though that I will point out... kills aren't everything!!! Yes it is the biggest part of the game (arguably the most fun) is getting kills but trying to keep up with the leaders gets the team killed usually because most will run off to get the kills making them get swarmed or face a flesh pound while reloading or without a strong enough gun ( usually the commando class runs into the specific problem)
Most of the time these things happen with the sharp shooter and medic classes because the sharps are meant to aim in on the big ones since there aren't that many sharps get bored and waste all their ammo on small things... medics same problem they get bored but medics don't level on kills they level on points healed medics are the core of team and need to be protected but also need to not run around trying to take kills ignoring the players healths...

Upvote 0
Timur to me you seem to have a deep knowledge of the game compared to most. You might not have the exact numbers to prove what you say at times (as I see you more of a thought person, not an exact numbers cruncher) and you seem to know what to do in most situations from what I've heard. I may have to make it a point to try and get into a game with you once and see the man at work. :eek:

Thanks :D If you want to, just click the little steam symbol on the right (should be under the post count if I recall)

That's the point of me doing this is so that new players can meet good people who actually do what they are supposed to do...
One big thing though that I will point out... kills aren't everything!!! Yes it is the biggest part of the game (arguably the most fun) is getting kills but trying to keep up with the leaders gets the team killed usually because most will run off to get the kills making them get swarmed or face a flesh pound while reloading or without a strong enough gun ( usually the commando class runs into the specific problem)
Most of the time these things happen with the sharp shooter and medic classes because the sharps are meant to aim in on the big ones since there aren't that many sharps get bored and waste all their ammo on small things... medics same problem they get bored but medics don't level on kills they level on points healed medics are the core of team and need to be protected but also need to not run around trying to take kills ignoring the players healths...

This is extremely true; your priorities are your team, your victory, and, above all, your entertainment. Don't let the numbers and kills fool you into doing something stupid or judging the usefullness of a player. In fact, sometimes having the highest kill count with certain perks can in fact be a negative.
There are alot of types :
1. Lvl 0 that use random weapons
2. Low levels getting into HoE , Suicidal games
3. Lvl 3 that think they are the boss
4. Fail rambos
5. Rushers
6. Don't helping the team and going by it's own ( Lvl 0-1-2-3 ) in a Suicidal , HoE game.

With +335 hours played , sometimes I've met the worst players I've ever seen.

Those are the different negative player types, yes. But there isnt just 1 type of good player and 100 types of bad. There is a huge variety, actually, and not totally based on tactics as well (sometimes demeanor can mean a lot)

Upvote 0
Iv posted it many times in the forums, but my clan mates and I are always willing to help. I think the last time I was on here I posted about getting HOE foundry for a some ppl. Took a few tries with random ppl and differant play styles, but we got it.

There is more than 2 types of play styles. Even with the team player there is the big team player who will play any class the team needs and stop what he is doing to heal his team mates. My clan mate is like that. I am a team player but not that much. I will heal u if I get a break from what I am doing.

If your not a team player and all my heals going to you and no heals coming back. no more heals. So team play at least imho will not only let them know you want their help, you will let ppl know they need your help as well if they want to complete the wave.
Food for thought
;)

Upvote 0
As previously stated....
Team work is the entire game... but skill is also a mild requirement to be successful you need to know what to do and be able to do it... for now the survival mode game play is good for team work however through rumor from multiple sources that they are currently creating a couple different game styles still using the game maps making teamplay harder the main one im interested in is one where the team must set up bombs in certain areas of the map throughout the wave making it a requirement to continue on using something similar to AI director (left 4 dead AI system) generating a continuous flow of enemies to combat while setting up the bomb... this would be wonderful team play aspect and I feel would greatly improve lone wolf involvement in matches unlike in survival mode

Upvote 0
Lone wolf is allright for a berserker who knows how to do his job.

This ^ If you have a full team, you needn't rely on a berzerker (except for a few occasions, but it's often something that other classes can easily take care of) but a zerker is very handy for a team when he goes solo and takes away extra heat, mking it easier for the team by giving them a thinner concentration of ZEDs heading towards their camping spots.

Upvote 0
Lone wolf is allright for a berserker who knows how to do his job.

If there are 2 fp's, you can kite one while your team finishes off another fp. Lessen the wave by killing zeds alone. meh.

Yeah, this can be good. If the person knows how to play Beserker well, and they're skilled.
However one of the joys in this game is killing things too... Sometimes, lesenning the wave for the team can be bad because people will sit around bored, there'll be no 'OH GOD WE'RE GONNA GET OVERRUN' moments.

This is extremely true; your priorities are your team, your victory, and, above all, your entertainment. Don't let the numbers and kills fool you into doing something stupid or judging the usefullness of a player. In fact, sometimes having the highest kill count with certain perks can in fact be a negative.

Some people find kills to be the fun :p
Competition.

Lone wolfs generally don't start out as so usually these people are the ones who start out as mild loners leaving their teammates to die or just plain running off and trying to rack up kills... these people tend to hog the kills so no one gets any money besides them then doesn't share the loot either way not good for the team no kills means no level up and no money...
There's a difference between a Lone Wolf and A Jerk who keeps all the money to themself.

No Kills doesn't necessarily mean no level up. Firebug gets experience by lighting things on fire.
No Kills also doesn't mean no money. There was this problem in the past where people who took the final shot would acquire all the money for the kill; Tripwire changed this. Money is now equivilant to the damage you did to that specimen - Also, healing gives you money.

Point of this is... which kind of player are you?
I started off by being someone obsessed with kills, but the more I play, the more oriented I come with generally assisting my team.
I find the problem with assisting in not-noticeable ways (Not killing that flesh pound, not tanking that scrake, not healing that guy on fire) means you don't get thanked. Sitting at the back, being the only one welding that door to keep your team safe from being ganked in the back, from experience, never gets thanked...

I'm a Medic naturally, I prefer to hide behind my team healing them while welding the door. It's not very rewarding in the sense you're going to save someone from that raging Scrake, but it is rewarding in the sense you save so many peoples lives from the incoming mob of Gorefasts, Screamers and such.
One Medic syringe jab is like the equivilant of 2~3 people... You get the job done fast, and swiftly while everyone's standing there, facing away from the Specimens going "Stand still, I'm tryna heal ya." while you just go "BOOP", "BOOP"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My favorite bad player type are the "Counterstrike kiddies". Typically 14 year olds who've only played Counterstrike, constantly talk into the mic (Usually about how stoned they are or how much they're "Kicking ***"), and constantly strafe. CONSTANTLY.

They strafe in front of other players that are firing full auto. They strafe into mobs. They strafe away from medics trying to heal them. They strafe behind teammates who are backing up. They just strafe. Constantly firing. Typically Commando or Sharpshooters, if something blocks them from strafing (Usually a wall or unfortunate teammate), they'll shoot great, but when strafing, they're usually useless. Known for begging for money on Wave 2, and when they don't get it, dying and blaming the "Greedy ****s that wouldn't give me money!" for dying, despite being a Level 1 Sharpshooter in a suidical game who has almost no kills.

My favorite type of players are the "Fireteams". It's usually 2 friends who join together and...they have refined teamwork...even if they don't usually work so well with the rest of the team. They usually use complimentary perks, heal each other, watch each other's back, cover each other's reloads, and generally play well. If the rest of the team follows the example, you'll usually have an amazingly fun game. If they don't, then the "Fireteam" will usually be the last 2 alive in a wave.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've only experienced the fireteam with 2 different people noupperlobeman and the comfy chair mainly the comfy chair because I play with him more almost every time I play killing floor is with him
Nolobe is a medic Comfy is a sharp im a support so pretty much me up front crouched comfy behind me and nolobe behind him and we are next to unbreakable

Upvote 0
I've only experienced the fireteam with 2 different people noupperlobeman and the comfy chair mainly the comfy chair because I play with him more almost every time I play killing floor is with him
Nolobe is a medic Comfy is a sharp im a support so pretty much me up front crouched comfy behind me and nolobe behind him and we are next to unbreakable

Medic is probably one of the more "Fire Team" members. A "Kill team" of a Medic and Berserker is nigh-unstoppable too if they have the routine down.

Upvote 0
All depends on skill with the class you can have a level 6 medic who doesn't heal anyone or a sharp shooter that doesn't aim for the head or a commando that doesn't stick with his class weapons... point is just because you have the perk level doesn't make a huge difference if you don't use it to its full purpose.... that's usually the only time a kill team works out...
Plus the players who like to be in front be it the right position for the class or not don't run away when you see a flesh pound running at you if anything do what I do and rush in to it 1 it'll break its charge (usually) 2 it helps team moral a little bit and 3 even if you die it'll give your team time to take him out.
If you can't willing sacrifice yourself for the better of the team then don't stand infront of the people who are willing to rush the enemy just as they rush us... more often then not you will live because a good team knows when one of the blockers rush to aim at what they are rushing at.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have made an analysis regarding these players and would like to elaborate regarding Gear's original post:

Lone Wolf Syndrome

Unfortunates afflicted with the Lone Wolf Syndrome will stray away from the team for reasons currently unknown. Lone Wolves will all inevitably die due to the disease. If forced to stick with the team, Lone Wolves will fall into seizures and fits before dying of an aneurysm. Those infected with the Lone Wolf Syndrome may also contract the Blame Others Syndrome and Kill Stealer Syndrome.

Kill Stealer Syndrome

Kill Stealers will always subconsciously stray away from the team in order to get more kills. The victims of this disease will have completely no control over the fact they must get 99999 kills and then boast about it to their team. Kill Stealers might also have the Lone Wolf Syndrome, Blame Others Syndrome and I'm Too Cool Syndrome.

I'm Too Cool Syndrome

The I'm Too Cool Syndrome, for some very strange reasons, only infects players with Level 6 Perks. The virus will force their hosts away from Suicidal or Hell on Earth and instead drag them to Normal or Beginner games where they will then kill every single specimen in sight, thus leaving all the Level 1 and 2 players no way of levelling up.

I'm Too Cool victims may also show symptoms of Lone Wolf Syndrome, Blame Others Syndrome and Kill Steal Syndrome.

I'm Too Lame Syndrome

A mutated strain of the I'm Too Cool Syndrome, the I'm Too Lame Syndrome targets only players without Level 3 or higher perks. The unfortunate Level 1 and 2 players who are afflicted with this malady will be unable to enter Beginner and Normal games and instead force themselves into Hard, Suicidal or Hell on Earth.

It is this fact that hosts of the I'm Too Lame virus are often kicked out of the game or die very very VERY quickly. I'm Too Lame carriers might also be infected of the Lone Wolf Syndrome and Blame Others Syndrome.

Blame Others Syndrome
This is a very widespread disease that has been announced a Level 5 Pandemic by KFHO(Killing Floor Health Organization). Carriers of the Blame Others Syndrome will have an unusually short temper fuse. When they die or crap hits the fan, they are sure to find fault in their fellow teammates.

If they are unable to find a reasonable fault, they will spew irrational claims regarding their teammates and will soon either get kicked or ragequit and uninstall the game. This virus has a unique capability of latching on all the syndromes stated above.

Griefing Syndrome
This is also a Level 5 Pandemic disease. Victims who have contracted the Griefing Syndrome, otherwise termed as Griefers by the general public live for mayhem and bedlam. Griefers will commit the various crimes in order to satisfy themselves:
1. Bodyblocking the Trader shop
2. Welding others out
3. Blowing up welded doors
4. Micspam
5. Swear like there's no tomorrow.
6. Use map exploits.

Please note that the above list is not completed.

Mr. Average
These guys aren't the best, but no certainly the worst. They're willing to learn or give advise and will stick together with the team. These are the most common type of players.

The Humble Professional

The Humble Professional is a rare breed of players who are very good at the game, yet are willing to teach newer players the ropes of the game along with sticking with the team. The Humble Professional will not display signs of any of the above syndromes. Cherish them for they are few and far between.

The Captain

The cream of the crop. The Captain is a team player that also has the miraculous ability to lead and not blame others for his own mistakes. The Captain is also highly experienced and can pull the rest of the team up from all sorts of cesspools.

Reactions: Lewt
Upvote 0
My favorite bad player type are the "Counterstrike kiddies". Typically 14 year olds who've only played Counterstrike, constantly talk into the mic (Usually about how stoned they are or how much they're "Kicking ***"), and constantly strafe. CONSTANTLY.
I've never played Counterstrike in my life, but I sometimes do this. :(

Trying to get out of the habit though.

Upvote 0
Thank you poosh for aiding my point further...
Teamplay is the very fabric of this game and a lot of people do the rambo thing which in a lot of situations is not just bad for them but bad for the team... when 3 fleshpounds come out in the same spot the whole team needs to be there to confront these beasts and when even 1 isn't shooting at them a lot of times it kills most of the players leaving the 1 or 2 survivors fending off the rest of the hord

Last edited:
Reactions: Krausier
Upvote 0
Thank you poosh for aiding my point further...
Teamplay is the very fabric of this game and a lot of people do the rambo thing which in a lot of situations is not just bad for them but bad for the team... when 3 fleshpounds come out in the same spot the whole team needs to be there to confront these beasts and when even 1 isn't shooting at them a lot of times it kills most of the players leaving the 1 or 2 survivors fending off the rest of the hord

this is very true working together can easily prevent these deaths.

Upvote 0