• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Questions regarding material penetration by various projectiles

MagicSnake

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Qu
Hi,
I was wondering what TWI had in mind when they stated RO2:HoS featured material penetration.

Mainly, I was asking myself:

Concerning bullets:
1. Will a bullet penetrate more/less depending on it's caliber/type/velocity/etc.?

2. Upon penetrating, will a bullet slow down? If so, will the material it just passed through dictate how much it has slowed? (i.e. a rifle round passing through a thin and fragile object would retain a higher velocity than the same rifle round passing through a thicker object).

3. Upon penetration, will a bullet be slightly deviated? If so, will it be depending on angle of impact and type of material or assigned randomly (or a mix of both: IMO even better as it takes into account the angle of impact as well as the random nature of the atomic structure of the penetrated material).

4. Will a penetrating bullet leave a mark on both sides? (maybe even a different mark where the round exits?)

The big guns:
5. Will shaped charge (ex.: panzerfaust) create a "cone of death" (or injury...) upon impact on the other side of the wall? (should it have enought power to "penetrate", of course). If so, will such a "cone of death" (or injury) be bigger/smaller depending on the strength of the material it had to penetrate?

6. AT rounds: Will they be treated as oversized bullets (i.e. see previous section: "concerning bullets")

7. HE rounds (this is considering destruction will not be modeled on that scale, i.e.

Whilst the questions about the bullets are totaly valid, and if they'd ticked them all. It would be great.

It's just that, some of them would require extra work, for something you probably wouldn't notice playing ingame. Unless you was a sniper randomlly shooting walls on the other side of the map of course. :p

it would be nice to go so realistic and have a full ballistic system modelled. But most of it wouldn't be seen, used or even noticed by players. So it seems a bit of a waste. If this was a sniper style game. Then yes, but its not. ;)

Upvote 0
Whilst the questions about the bullets are totaly valid, and if they'd ticked them all. It would be great.

It's just that, some of them would require extra work, for something you probably wouldn't notice playing ingame. Unless you was a sniper randomlly shooting walls on the other side of the map of course. :p

it would be nice to go so realistic and have a full ballistic system modelled. But most of it wouldn't be seen, used or even noticed by players. So it seems a bit of a waste. If this was a sniper style game. Then yes, but its not. ;)
:D
Very true!
Though, I'm not advocating for a full, super in-depth, highly complex penetration simulator!
For instance, they could simplify bullet caliber to just two/three "types", for example: light (SMG), heavy (rifle, MG).
Same for material strenght, for example: heavy, medium, frail.
Same for deviation, for example: straight line (heavy bullet -> frail surface), 30 degrees (every other).

As for the bullet exit mark, I'm pretty sure that's feasible (but don't take my word for it!) and a tacked-on impact texture would be perfectly adequate.

By the way, thanks for pointing this out (that RO ain't a sniper simulator, so adding unnoticealble complexy to a penetration system is priority 483, both on the devs' clocks than on those of the CPUs running the game ;)). I fully trust the devs on ressource allocation: ROOst was pretty well balanced (albeit not perfectly, of course) complexity wise, so each system in the game seemed equally fleshed out (...except melee :p j/k)

However, since they are going to implement penetration, I was wondering how it was going to be done, and how complex it was going to be...

So I might add: will penetration values be set by the mapper at the time of map creation (he sets each penetrable object individually), or prior to that, by the guy (modeler) building the assets? Or a mix: the modeler sets the default value for each asset, the mapper can overwrite if he so wishes.

Upvote 0
Concerning bullets:
1. Will a bullet penetrate more/less depending on it's caliber/type/velocity/etc.?

2. Upon penetrating, will a bullet slow down? If so, will the material it just passed through dictate how much it has slowed? (i.e. a rifle round passing through a thin and fragile object would retain a higher velocity than the same rifle round passing through a thicker object).

3. Upon penetration, will a bullet be slightly deviated? If so, will it be depending on angle of impact and type of material or assigned randomly (or a mix of both: IMO even better as it takes into account the angle of impact as well as the random nature of the atomic structure of the penetrated material).

4. Will a penetrating bullet leave a mark on both sides? (maybe even a different mark where the round exits?)
I'll answer the questions I can remember the answer to - and feel like answering today :)

Penetration depends on the type of round, velocity, material type impacted and depth of material. Yes, they leave exit marks...

Upvote 0
Yes. This is the feature of the game that I have been most curious about as well. Talk about completely changing CQC situations... It's going to be interesting to see how they handle tank rounds hitting walls.

Holy cow, been a long time since I've seen you.

I was in the 5ss a few year ago, don't quite recall my handle back then though.

Upvote 0