• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bots, Snow, Helmets...and much much more!

Ok so I have ALOT of time at work to sit around and think, so here are a few more ideas that I had though up of.

1. I play a game called Mount and Blade, one thing you can do on the multiplayer for that game is start a server with ten people..and have a huge battle with about 100 bots per team...you each get to control a set member of those bots and then fight it out
I had a similar idea for a certain kind of game-type for RO2. Im not sure what I would call it
..probably just squad battle.. but what would happen would be. Id say about each team would have about 16 human players each.. and each human player would get4 bots of his choosing..depending on his level and rank..and pretty much they would do what you normally do...go for the capture points... it's that simple and I thought that'd be a fun idea.

2.SNOOOOW
I think they need to implement some sort of snow fall or blizzard map where it's snowing like crazy... normally they wouldn't fight in these conditions but i've seen it...and im sure at some point the russians used that weather to make sneak assaults on the germans

3. Helmet knock off savers...I call it that because the helmet pretty much in RO 1 if hit properly saved you from a headshot and was knocked off...ithink this should be ported over into RO2

4.I believe they already said they were putting this in and its awesome...but I think you should be able to take you clip out real quick to see if you need to reload..so your not just going by..mag is light or heavy

5.Sniper Scope glare and bronocular glare.. as I've seen in real life if a light hits the scope lens just right it gives off the.sniper or officers position..and this should be implimented into RO2

Anyway that's all fir now!

3. Helmet knock off savers...I call it that because the helmet pretty much in RO 1 if hit properly saved you from a headshot and was knocked off...ithink this should be ported over into RO2

Helmets were designed to protect skull from flying debris, rocks, dirt and small fragments. Helmets stopping bullets happens only in poor Hollywood movies. IRL bullet penetrates helmet without any problems, even if it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes and no. Happens pretty rarely, since the light needs just the right angle to hit the lens. Hard if not impossible to implement in game.

Nah - it would be easy actually, one would just have to find out at what angle does it occur in real life and then have the game check whether angle is right, and render the effect if it is.

Upvote 0
I seem to recall the helmet simply falling off and the guy and them dropping dead when I shoot a helmet in RO. As said above a standard rifle cartridge can punch through a helmet like paper, unless you are at a really, really steep trajectory, but that's unlikely. What WOULD be cool is if helmets on people had their own collisions, so the bullet would need to travel through the helmet before hitting the person. Although that would only work if there was material penetration for projectiles.

Nah - it would be easy actually, one would just have to find out at what angle does it occur in real life and then have the game check whether angle is right, and render the effect if it is.
Probably easier said than done, especially since it's dependent on the position of the sun and nearby lighting. Could always just have a very high threshold glare-shaped specular on the lens of the scope, so when somebody is looking at it from a certain angle it'll reflect ambient brightness or sunlight. It'll technically be "fake" glare but it will work in a similar manner and be way easier to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Probably easier said than done, especially since it's dependent on the position of the sun and nearby lighting. Could always just have a very high threshold glare-shaped specular on the lens of the scope, so when somebody is looking at it from a certain angle it'll reflect ambient brightness or sunlight. It'll technically be "fake" glare but it will work in a similar manner and be way easier to do.

How do you think specular reflections are done? They are computed based on position of the sun and nearby lighting. You can fairly easilty use these values to compute something else.

Upvote 0
How do you think specular reflections are done? They are computed based on position of the sun and nearby lighting. You can fairly easilty use these values to compute something else.

Unlike specular though for lens flair I think they'd need to do their own system for it as apposed to using a feature that's already implemented in UDK that ultimately accomplishes the same thing. Why would coders and artists need to put in busy work when the artists themselves can accomplish the same job in a fraction of the time. :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unlike specular though for lens flair I think they'd need to do their own system for it as apposed to using a feature that's already implemented in UDK that ultimately accomplishes the same thing. Why would coders and artists need to put in busy work when the artists themselves can accomplish the same job in a fraction of the time. :confused:

So your saying they could do scope glare easily?

Upvote 0