• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Obsidian-Beta (Mission Map)

S281

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2009
CA
Name: KF-Obsidian-beta4
Playable: Yes
Whitelisted: No

Authors: S281 & Fel

Division of work: S281: Map concept, terrain, geometry(buildings, detail, etc.), and custom textures (most)

Fel: Game play(Zed's), Events(some cinematic and interactive), music, additional detail, outside buildings

Download: http://www.filefront.com/17873628/no.zip

Version B3 now has a cinematic ending in it if you complete the main objective at the end.

DO NOT post spoilers about this map on this thread.

Map Description: Taking place on an island, your team must infiltrate the Horzine facility, eliminate all enemies, and attempt to stop a nuclear launch.

Gameplay:

This map takes around 30 minutes to complete. The map is tested on normal mode to ensure balance.

Beginner: 1-2 players depending on perk/skill level
Normal: 3-5 players depending on perk/skill level
Hard: 5-6 players with level 6 perks/ good skill level
Suicidal: 6 players and a :IS2:
Hell on Earth: LOL

Teamwork is a must for completing this map. Sharing ammo is a must for completing this map.

KF-Chaingun.u: This map features the XM134 (chaingun). The gun was modeled by NoGlory and programmed by Marco. The weapon is whitelisted. There are 2 points of view: first person and over-the-shoulder. Press F4 to switch between them when using the weapon.

Gas Cans: This map features an objective where you must collect gas cans to fill a generator. It is still awaiting whitelist approval.

A perk mutator must be used to have perks on this map due to the gas cans. A link for the mutator can be found here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=37999

Big thanks to:

J.D.* - for making the R-7 ICBM. (Free to use in other maps, but you must give credit. Not for commercial use.)

YoyoBatty - for making the gas cans.

Marco - for Gas Can Hud coding.

Will - for making the live security cameras and constantly help test.

O2.jpg

O3.jpg

O4.jpg

O5.jpg

O6.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Found a few problem in game, after doing the gascan part I picked up another gascan and a message continually spammed Press E Key or something like that, also I couldn't find out how to stop the rocket launch. Last thing, the fans in the hallways, they spin out of their holders rather than the way the are supposed to.

Reactions: Fel
Upvote 0
I definitely like the generator and comp hacking parts.

For the gas cans/ generator, are there supposed to only be 3 locations for them? I was able to keep walking back and forth from the forklift to get them.

I ran into an issue with the downward elevator platform after you cross the catwalk over lava. It sort of just stopped maybe 30 meters before it reached the bottom.

I'll play it some more tonight to get farther through. It's beautiful just walking through the map and checking out all of the details. :D

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyways,i just played trough it and well,i kinda went "lolfaggodmode" at the end,but it was really hard and i was alone,not even with bots.Mr Patriarch got owned by 2 Fleshpounds and 1 lava crawler(Spoiler) while every Zed was in the lava.
And he shot em with his minigun so they went postal and wanted to eat daddy(So basically 2 fps + 1 crawler + lava = epic slowmo going down while dr glover is reloading his aa12 with a:troll: on).
Make the epic cave ending NAOH.

Upvote 0
Just played it today on easy by myself for the lulz. If I could list how many times I cursed and said how cheap the spawns were and how annoying it was just to even walk, it would go way over the amount of posts I made on these forums. I didn't mind it for the first part, I had some oh crap I'm gonna die moments but soon as I get near the lava part, I went wtf. I don't mind an oh crap I'm gonna die moment every once in a while but have a constant spam of sirens, crawlers and husks is just annoying, and once you think you got that out of the way and you have like 10 HP, 3 fleshpounds and 2 patriarch spawn out of know were along with 40 ZEDS! Also do you actually except people to clear down that huge group of ZEDS and prevent the rocket launcher all in 60 seconds? By the time I even got close to it was at 10 seconds left. My suggestion is make it atleast 80 or 90 seconds, 75 at the minimum. Also how do you use the boats, I filled them up with gas atleast 2 dozen times and nothing happen, I just explored the map and searched everywhere until I eventually killed myself by jumping into the lava.
All in all, its a good map, nice details, good amount of enemys in the begginning, but you should make it a little more clear on were to go/what to do and maybe reduce those annoying and cheap spawns by a few specimens. 4/5

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ohhh I remember i had an old version of this map when fel had issue with overlay and the fog was blue or something. I always thought why it didnt release earlier :)

That was a different map that was never finished. This map uses a lot of the same meshes and terrain textures though from UT2004 which were in that unfinished map.

As for making it clear as to how to beat it, there are text messages that pop up to explain. We will however try and make it even more clear (open to suggestions) if most players seem to be confused about how to complete it. The boat escape is only available if you "win" the final objective. If you play it solo, I would suggest setting the difficulty to beginner, even if you are lvl 6.

Upvote 0
3 fleshpounds and 2 patriarch spawn out of know were along with 40 ZEDS!

One note before i go off; Yoyo quit lying, the only zombies on the lava bridge is 1 FP and 3 husks. You are really getting annoying. I dont even care if your trying to be scars tic. You don't Blatantly Lie about game play.

OMG THE MAP ACTUALLY GETS HARDER THE FURTHER YOU PROGRESS IN THE MAP?!?!!! :eek::eek::eek:

We made this map to where it has about the same difficulty as Candlesmoke. We are NOT going to make the map ez for you so you can beat it on your 1st time playing.

This map takes a few times in order to beat, its not like other simple maps where you can beat it with your eyes closed. BUT IT IS EASILY DOABLE

If you get mad cause you cant beat a section on your 1st try, please dont get mad and blame map. Maybe instead of projecting the blame on the wrong object, you should try again and harder.

If you want to complain about the difficulty of the map, then maybe the map isn't meant for you and you should go play EZ maps that are suited to your skill

On another note; The only way you can use the boats is if you stop the rocket from launching. We reward the players with a whole objective wave and escape scene (boats) ONLY if you succeed in stopping the missile. If you fail to stop the launch, the only thing you get is a Pat wave, then game ends.

Maybe yoyo, its the fact that you just got KF and you still need to get better at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: YoYoBatty
Upvote 0