• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

Prop pitch on Antons doesn't affect engine too much. Keep it at 100% and radiator open (gawd I feel like I'm saying this for the hundredth time) and you'll go a bit faster without overheating. Have it off on models earlier than A-8. Dunno about the F-8. Let me write again in big letters since you boviously aren't getting it.

In FWA-8/9 Throttle 100% Prop. Pitch. 100% and Radiator Open. Will not overheat with good speed.

On the Dora, 100% throttle, prop pitch auto radiator open for cruise, won't overheat, if you need to outrun La7's and Spits (very possible) Prop pitch 90% and throttle 100% rad open. Watch, soon as it overheats immediately switch to cruise settings, pitch on the Dora has nasty habit of blowing you're engine (never go to 100% pitch if you've never experimented). Hope that got to you, very important, La7's are very pesky but overheat quickly and you can easily outrun em. Read in a account of Russian fighter pilots that German FW pilot tactics were that if a Russian were on their 6, they would try to gain considerable distance and then turn around and 12o'clock them. On of their strong points but I never tried it out in an Anton, never linger long at high altitudes, where the Anton has advantage. Jesus, I feel like I'm a broken record player, repeating all this info, so the new stuff I say has context.

I never bother with trim on airplanes that only have trim for planes that only have elevator trim. It seriously effects turning, if you're too thick to realize this. Sorry, had to be said. if you're gonna manually counter torque, then might as well just angle it a bit and you don't have to bother with all the complicated things that quite need. That La7 has a nasty torque.

Upvote 0
maybe i am arrogant towards you because of your hostile and pretentious attitude towards everyone else?

Anyways, from my experience, any BMW801 propelled 190 gains acceleration from 100% pitch, not just the A-8 and 9 (that also included the F-8). it does seem to cause quicker overheating though so with i.e. the A-4 it seems better to go back to 80% once you start climbing. you also want to reduce prop pitch or go to auto during prolonged dives to prevent overrev.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyways, from my experience, any BMW801 propelled 190 gains acceleration from 100% pitch, not just the A-8 and 9 (that also included the F-8). it does seem to cause quicker overheating though so with i.e. the A-4 it seems better to go back to 80% once you start climbing. you also want to reduce prop pitch or go to auto during prolonged dives to prevent overrev.

Are you even trying to listen? I would have made it very clear if I meant that 100% throttle does not overheat older models, and since you're too thick to understand that 100% pitch won't overheat A-9/8's, I may seem hostile to you.

Y'know what? Forget it, I just not going to bother with you anymore you're just too thick.

Upvote 0
instead of calling people names you should do some research. they A-5, A-6 and A-8 have the same fan, the same propeller and the same engine (801D-2). So does the A-4 but its different. since the engine has no "breathing space".

appearantly i have to sum it up for you: what you said was that all older models should run on auto pitch whereas i said the A-4 (which is the oldest one and had alot more overheating problems due to the proximity of the engine to the cockpit) runs fine on 100% prop pitch in a level flight which gives it quite the boost and is therefor recommendable.

nowhere did i say the A-8/9 would overheat on 100% pp but i guess you are just too brilliant to read properly.

the problem is just that you are feeding people with misinformation and i am merely correcting it :)

Upvote 0
Well Imp, you're only thinking you're correcting me. I have reason to say that 100% prop pitch overheats older models because I know this from many personal experiences. Of course you need to say otherwise. Don't believe me? Fine, find out yourself. I'll be the one not overheating, but I'm beyond the point of caring right now.

You can be a tailgunner on a co-op but you can not fly the plane then; the pale is a multi-position bomber the pilot can switch between gunners and the gunner can switch amoung gunners but not to the pilot position. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
tanks = drop tanks which is your fuel. Ctrl-Space will drop your bombs

Oh...so that's why my plane started to slow down and crashed into the ocean later on....

Interesting. And I guess from the physics of it, you need to drop your bombs before you are over your target, how do I measure this in an IL-2 Sturmovik or an other ground attack plane? They don't seem to have bombsights.

And how do I stop my plane from going naturally "up" or down"? My joystick should be coming in the mail today, but I would like to know how to do this, it gets annoying when I'm trying to fly straight. (I only learned that I had my flaps on "take off" mode after 30 minutes of dogfighting lol.)

Those "cassete" ordinance reminds me of bird poop - it sprays everywhere in little droplets when you release lol.

I'm so much better at strafing ground targets than I am at dogfighting. :p Seriously, it got my adrenaline pumping when the anti-aircraft guns opened up on me, trying to "box" me in with FLAK fire, explosions and tracers zooming past all around me and I dived down opening fire with my 30mm(?) cannons strafing their fuel depot. My wingmate got hit beside me and turned in a fiery cataclysm and smashed into a hanger while screaming "Mayday!". Holy crap, I wished I filmed it.

The game is pretty hard, but its pretty awesome too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh...so that's why my plane started to slow down and crashed into the ocean later on....

Interesting. And I guess from the physics of it, you need to drop your bombs before you are over your target, how do I measure this in an IL-2 Sturmovik or an other ground attack plane? They don't seem to have bombsights.

And how do I stop my plane from going naturally "up" or down"? My joystick should be coming in the mail today, but I would like to know how to do this, it gets annoying when I'm trying to fly straight. (I only learned that I had my flaps on "take off" mode after 30 minutes of dogfighting lol.)

Those "cassete" ordinance reminds me of bird poop - it sprays everywhere in little droplets when you release lol.

I'm so much better at strafing ground targets than I am at dogfighting. :p Seriously, it got my adrenaline pumping when the anti-aircraft guns opened up on me, trying to "box" me in with FLAK fire, explosions and tracers zooming past all around me and I dived down opening fire with my 30mm(?) cannons strafing their fuel depot. My wingmate got hit beside me and turned in a fiery cataclysm and smashed into a hanger while screaming "Mayday!". Holy crap, I wished I filmed it.

The game is pretty hard, but its pretty awesome too.

Unless the plane has a bombsight, experience is the only other way to gauge dropping bombs and your plane going up is the torque from the propeller. You can turn it off in the difficulty setting if it bothers you that much.

And believe it or not, the IL2 is an amazing dog fighting plane. So even after you drop your ordinance don't be afraid to fight with Bf109s and Fw190s.

Upvote 0