• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO and tanking - we deserve better! Boycott!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFN

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2007
/rant on

I've had enough! Instead of knocking my head into the extremely hard reinforced concrete walls of my appartment, I'm writing this to let out a little steam. Its well known and have been discussed here and there on many occasions before.

As most tankers are aware of, there are a multitude of weaknesses and issues with the way tank combat work in ROO. Now, I'm primarly an infy guy that decided to get into tanking and learn at least the basics in order to be able to help out my clan if needed. I've actually found tanking quite fun in many ways and it definitely has its good points. While ROO isnt a tank simulator, the details present are in many ways very impressive. Yet, the many issues are equally not impressive and generate serious amounts of frustration in the long run, to the extent that you start to tear out your hair or converse with concrete walls. The balance and function of the different tanks is totaly skewed to take one aspect.

Don't tell me that a perfectly placed frontal shot from less than 100m from a T34/85 into the front of a Stug wouldn't knock it out. The chances a shot like that would not have fatal consequenses for the crew are close to nonexistant. Don't tell me that a T34/85 doing a 90degree perfect shot straight into the side, targeted at the ammo box of a Panther from 30 meters, wouldnt blow the Panther up instantly. I just fired two bloody shots in the side of a Panther, one at the ammo box and one at the engine and apparantly it hardly took any damage. Even if the russian 76mm and 85mm guns had serious drawbacks compared to the potent german long 75mm's and the 88mm, on a short range even a T34/76 was perfectly capable of knocking out even a Tiger if the angle was good and the side was the target. So why, bloody why, ain't this the case in ROO? I've had these things happening on multiple occasions and it seriously ruins all the fun. Whats the point of planning and actively using flanking to get a good shot at a tiger or a panther or whatever tank, when you can't even knock it out?

On other hand, you also experience these long range tank duels where you are able to knock out almost anything from 900-1500meters even with a T34 against angled targets. The randomness is both scary and very disturbing as well. Where's the consistency, the realism, the mechanics that are more or less universal that you can base tactics on?

The fact that the community and clans seriously play tank-maps in competetive settings is beyond any common sense and good reasoning. We should seriously boycott tanking and tank maps untill it is at least a bit more evenly balanced/functioning. RO tanking isn't fair and square, its bugged, lame and horribly skewed. At its present state its a curiosity more than anything else and competing in lameness bring the community nowhere.

While I will still play tank maps if my clan requires me to and do my very best, I will be ashamed, regardless if we loose/win. A game like this supposed to be based on a certain amount of skill, training, experience and tactics, not on what is in reality nothing else than a lottery.

With regards to all you frustrated tankers out there and a plea to all clans of an univeral boycott,
/DFN

/rant off

We've been quite vocal about our thoughts on tanking, and the AB mutator in particular. While the AB mutator has some interesting elements, it also adds new bugs and performance issues, as well as having a penetration model that is based more on anecdotal evidence and personal preference than hard facts and research. This isn't to diss AB, the whole point of mutators is that it allows poeple that want to make tweaks to gameplay to do so. But the majority of RO players don't want it made official, even if we would.

Tanking in RO is what it is for the most part (and has been for 19 months). Don't look for major overhauls to it. We are working on a new game now, and we're putting a lot of effort into that now.

Upvote 0
Don't play tank maps. Don't like the stock model, play AB, it is far from perfect as well. Don't be childish and if it annoys you that much, shut up and learn to mod yourself. If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen...just do it constructively.

So we're not allowed to make complains concerning serious issues regarding the gameplay etc. of a multiplayer game we've payd hard cash for? ;) Your other comments are just ridicilous, you don't expect someone who buy a car to finnish the half-finnished paint job the car was delivered with, install the stereo and fine-tune the carburator... Altho RO's origins as a free mod years ago, its a retail product now with a gameplay that probably don't play out the way the developers, nor the community thinks it should. That they are working on other things is good to hear, us Trippwire fans are excited about eventual upcomming titles from them, nevertheless these titles are probably years into the future, we can only relate to the product we own and they currently support as a retail product.

Apparantly they are not going to do anything with the tank-part of the game, Ramm-Jaegers post pretty much indicate that they've shifted focus from ROOST to whatever they've working on. Hence, we are stuck with the flawed tank-gameplay for the time being. What the community have to ask itself, particularly the clans and ladder people, are if it does any good using this part of the game in competetions. Is it randomness or skill we want to decide the outcome of matches?

/DFN

Upvote 0
And just as a heads up/addition, I have covered this before.

I recall several posts in the past where I have stated not to expect major overhauls or changes to the game. Just tweaks and minor additions at this point (and of course the bug fixes). Tripwire is still a pretty small team and can't get everything it wants to accomplish done (no matter how hard they try). There are lots of things the team wishes was part of Ostfront.

As Ramm stated, Tripwire is also working on its second project. The team is growing, it has also become more skilled over the development of Ostfront (we probably have put more time and money into Ostfront after release then before!). That experience is going into the second project now, which I hope most of you are excited for.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.